Register now to get rid of these ads!

hamb friendly motor homes? can we start a pic thread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950coronet600hp, Dec 9, 2010.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I love the dodge coronet grills? as tail light bezels haha

Someone should save this one. It would definatly be a show stopper

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  3. Energy

Energy

I smoke a lot of wacky weed back in the day, but I never built anything like these!!

:rolleyes:

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cool pics Frankenstein! I love the 55Cad ..i wonder what it eventually sold for?

5. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

$800.00. It was pretty rust free and little water damage in the camper area but the engine was stuck and the camper area needed a fair amount of work.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

my Southwind is by no means HAMB-friendly except for the drivetrain... 454 and TH700.... but keeping it era-correct and functional is a trip in itself. spent a couple of days building a new, higher base for the frigo get rid of that damn gas-fired Dometic rig. now have a new lockable cubby hole to keep stuff in. it's doing storage duty for my spare Falcon windshield until i get some new rubber to install it.

these are some wild machines; those Housecars are the SHIT.... i'd drive one right up Rodeo Drive, baby.

7. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

(May 21st – 23rd) My family and I took a trip to the northern California Redwoods National park. Instead of doing a recap of all the events and highlights that we experienced in chronological order, I decided to do posts of points of interest and their history. During our trip we went to Garberville California which is located on the “Avenue of the Giants” which is also known as CA-101. On the Avenue of the Giants route there are so many places to stop with really awesome roadside attractions including 3 giant redwoods that you can drive you vehicles through. One of the attractions that we ran across during our adventure was the “One-Log House”. When we think of a one log house you most likely think of a singular log cabin like the one Abe Lincoln lived in. Well when they use the term “One log house” They literally mean one log. Not possible you say?

[​IMG]

Crafted in 1946 from a 2100 year old redwood, this section of the tree weighed 42 tons and took 8 months of labor to hollow out a room 7 feet hight and 32 feet long. With wheels attached it toured the United States in its early years, then settled in redwood country, arriving at its current location (Garberville, California) in 1999. Just like home: the inside is furnished with living, dining, and bedroom areas.
    This famous Northern California attraction was the result of a three month search for the perfect specimen Sequoia Sempervirens, which was finally located near the town of Orick, in Humboldt County, California. After felling this 13 foot diameter forest giant, Art Schmock and a helper needed 8 months of hard labor to hollow out the log into a room 7 ft. high and 32 ft. long, weighing about 42 tons. His plan was to take it on a cross country tour to promote the redwoods. However its excess size caused highway problems. Its first permanent home was at Hurrin’s Shell Shop at Clam Beach, in Northern Humboldt County. It then became a redwood knick knack shop at Leggett, Mendocino County, just off of the Redwood Highway. During a sojourn in Phillipsville, it slid into decay until the current owners bought and lovingly restored it to a new life along the Redwood Highway.

This was a really awesome sight to see and experience. I was surprised because what you see on the outside makes the inside seem small but once you walk inside it really is pretty spacious. I was most surprised when I was able to walk inside and not hit my head on anything. I could totally see myself living in something like this. It was about 50 degrees F’ outside. Inside the temperature was more like 65F or so. It was a great thing to see. I highly recommend it if you are up that way.

If you have the chance you must go take a trip to the redwoods and see all the breath taking views and magnificent trees. It is for sure something you should put on your bucket list. Here is the location of the One Log House:
    705 US Highway 101
    Garberville, CA 95542-8701
    (707) 247-3717

Attached Files:

8. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

more

Attached Files:

9. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

[​IMG]
    A fully restored "travel log" on wheels, made from a single redwood tree and driven around the US 1917-21, is displayed inside the Humboldt Redwoods State Park Visitor Center.

Charles Kellogg's Travel Log Charles Kellogg was a naturalist, vaudeville performer and a campaigner to preserve the Redwood Forest in Northern California.
    A truly remarkable man of many accomplishments, one of which was to create the "Travel Log;" what would be called a motor home today made from a single 8-ton redwood log estimated to be 4,800 years old, mounted on the chassis of a 1917 Nash-Quad truck.
    He used this beautiful vehicle to travel across America from 1917-1921, promoting awareness of the Redwoods. Today the vehicle has been restored, and is prominently displayed in the visitor center at Avenue of the Giants, in Weott, CA.

Here are some interesting facts about this RV from the brochure we got at the Visitor’s Center…

—————————————————————————————————————–

It is the largest single piece of hewn timber in the world.

It is the creation of one man, Charles Kellogg who hollowed it out with axe and adz.

It has kitchenette, folding lavatory, toilet, clothespress, 12 lockers, folding double bed, stove, dining table, bookcase, dresser, electric lights, running water, guest room with single bed, lockers, etc…

The walls, ceiling and floors are all one piece.

It weighs six tons.

This particular log is about 4,800 years old.

The Nash Quad Chassis pulls on all four wheels and has front and rear steering.

Attached Files:

11. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

[​IMG] This is technically the oldest rv as the tree it was made from was 4800+ years old lol

12. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

[​IMG]

................and winner of the longest side pipes goes to the big red, mad as f**k old bus:D

Bang a towbar and a huge awning to house a car on that baby and i'd quite happily live in that! Very cool !

Seriously i dream of such things:cool:

13. Twisted6

Twisted6

I had plained on turning this a 85 chevy short bus it even has a lift in the side, into a RV now i maybe just selling it

14. jbtine

jbtine

This one is for sale on craigslist now. They pop up every now and then.

1964 <NOBR>dodge coronet</NOBR> Great Dale Housecar. This is <NOBR>a factory</NOBR> built RV, one of the first class c motorhomes ever built. One of 52 ever made by Dale Wassinger of Great Dale Housecars in Denver CO. Each one is unique b/c they are all built from different makes,models and years <NOBR>of cars</NOBR> from the late 50's to late 60's/ Runs and drives, ice box, stove,sink, two beds. Measures 19' from bumper to bumper needs cosmetics. 361 dodge v-8, auto trans.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/2824296772.html

Attached Files:

15. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I seen an 80's mercedes with a truck camper mashed onto it yesterday.. couldnt pull the phone out fast enough to get a pic. My pops says he has seen it around so i will be looking for it and ready to snag a pic of it. Looked very mad maxish

Looked similar to this but not as nice nor finished..

[​IMG]

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

16. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Krispy kreme doughnut retro styled bus to be on velocity's (channel 754 in my region, not sure of it is the same all over) show called Outkast kustoms monday at 9pm (Pacific time)

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

17. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I seen a quick shot of a early motor home on "chasing classic cars" the other day. It was at Hershey. I wondered if anyone might have photos of it? I was green with a woody exterior?

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

18. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Just when I think I'm the nuttiest guy I know, this thread prooves me wrong.

19. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I hope he doesn't get too fisky upstairs, that thing would tip over!

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I noticed someone had this on CRAIGSLIST this am and thought it was pretty cool. I have never seen it around the area, but it looks like a fun ride to me!

1965 Custom camper good condition! - $4999 (Lafayette, IN)
    Date: 2012-04-04, 5:33PM EDT

this is a one of a kind custom old school bus. a classic 1965 gmc ward bus. it was converted around 2004 with all modern rv furnishing.

the bus has a 70s vintage rebuilt 350 chevy engine with the orignal 4 speed transmission, all new brakes and air bags in the rear. it runs great and is very fun to drive.

it has a receiver hitch and brake controller, i pull a 14ft enclosed trailer at 7000lb with no problem.

it will sleep 4. 2 on the sofa and 2 on the table.

it has a very large bath in the rear of the bus.

the other features are micro.oven,stove double sink,coffee maker, two door fridge work good. tv ant and booster. generator and inverter.40 gal fresh water and 80 gal holding tanks.20gal propane and 8 gal water heater. roof air and fan unit. bus is wired for 30amps and has inside and out side 110v power.

i have enjoyed owning and showing it at several antique engine and tractors shows around indiana. it always gets a lot of comments.even when getting gas people will want to see inside.

Attached Files:

21. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

23. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Here's mine. 1952 Studebaker built by Vista Leisure Coaches of Toole, Utah in 1951. Delivered to Fresno Studebaker dealer. Always been a California truck. Registered as a "House Car". Now it's my daily driver.
    [​IMG]:eek:
    And my tow rig.
    [​IMG]:D:D

24. Babyearl

Babyearl

I thought I might drag this home,,,Wife says "I don't think so":confused:

Attached Files:

25. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

this looks like it could be an old Pierce Arrow Travel trailer made by the Pierce Arrow Motor Car Company near the end of car line

26. wsdad

wsdad

I don't remember where I found all these, but I thought they were interesting.

Attached Files:

27. I heard an intresting fact stated my an airstream rep. 60 percent of all airstreams are still on the road.

28. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

That bug motor home conversion is from plans posted in Popular Mechanics Magazine,You could Buy expanded plans from them but you could build one from what was in the magazine if you were any kind of handy

29. c_dime81

c_dime81
    from tupelo

Loving this

30. c_dime81

c_dime81
    from tupelo

And this!!! Holy shit where is this?