Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Friendly Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39 All Ford, Jan 16, 2009.

1. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

A quick video of my son's 30 model A.

He bought it a few months ago, he got it started a couple of days ago...

It has not run since the early 1980's, i think 1981.... It started after cleaning up the starter, adding gas and coolant.... Simplicity rules!!

Any Ideas on it's future?

He is thinking about getting it running kind of "as is" for a while and then going with a V-8 60 setup.....

I kind of like the idea....

The metal on the car is extrordinary.... the wood sucks....

I am open to ideas on replacing the structure with wood or metal, at this very moment I am leaning toward wood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL0jHhlBVjg&feature=channel

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I like the V8 60 idea. That could be a really sweet cruiser. I wish him well with it.

3. smarg

smarg

This is cool anywhere im tired of people trying to figure out if it suits the HAMB if it suits you thats what counts .

4. striper

striper

Sounds like it has a bit too much cam

5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

very hamb friendly !!!!!!!!!!! nice 4door . i would check the points + condensor ....
    i have a F/S 6v electronic ign. if interested .................. steve

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I knew the title would catch some eyes..... Um... after deciding to paint my car red in the 80's because that was the trend, I have since devoted my off hours to building a car that I want......

Very traditioal in many aspects, but not entirly HAMB friendly, my 39 Coupe is MY CAR, the way I want it, to the hell with what anyone else thinks...

That said, the 4 door model A would make a killer, killer, killer, traditionally styled rod,,, I am in love with the V-8 60 idea, only drawback is that it ain't my car..... and my wife will only allow me one project at a time, and I have two waiting in the wings already.. :)

7. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I am going to get my son on this forum andget him to contact you about this. We need to rewire the car and get it's electrical system "stable", some new points and condnser will help.

The reliability and simplicity of that Model A has me stoked, I am trying hard not to get too side tracked from my own project but the A Model is calling me...

It is GOING to consume some of my time and energy whether I like it or not....

We let a complete V-9 60 complete from the fan to the tranny go cheap on eBay a while back... live and learn...

Thanks for the support!

8. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I was going to edit my original post to say:

If you like OLD CARS, YOU HAVE TO WATCH The youtube link on the first post...

You will enjoy the model A "resurrection" video compiled by my son... I might be biased, but I think it is bitchin...

9. A-Wall

A-Wall

4 doors rule...

10. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Great project. I like the V8-60 idea, BUT -- you run into the problem of parts made of unobtanium. I think you'll find a healthy 4-banger can easily surpass a stock V8-60. Talk to John Cosper at Pete's Auto Machine in AlbQ for recommendations about your motor. He did mine, and it's a great runner. He can do anything from bone stock, blue ribbon points motors to full-on overheads.
    Yes, wood is a problem with Model A Fordors. Several good vendors offer wood kits for them. Check out ahooga.com and fordbarn.com for Model A forums. Get a good manual like Les Andrews' books and memorize them. We'll have a test on Tuesday to see what you've learned. Be prepared.
    (Also check out the monthly 'banger threads herein. They're very entertaining and informative.)
    Fearless

11. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Thanks for that awesome info!

It is cool about the shop in AlbQ. (I like that abbreviation!) I have to agree that the 60 parts seem to be "limited" at best.... and I never thiught I would need to develop carpenter skills to be a hot rodder... :)

Thanks again!!

12. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Good stuff
    I wish mine was drivable, back to the shed.
    Brendan

13. 66JameStang

66JameStang

Here is a still of the car it really is an awesome car!

[​IMG]