Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HAMB-appropriate parts that aren't popular nowadays

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

We had coon skin hats out here...

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Must be where "pecker head" came from? :p

warbird1, slim38, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. rudestude

rudestude

Well that blows the hell out of my up coming build...I was going to be using most everything listed.
    Actually I don't care...I do agree on a "period in time" guide when I personally put something together, I have a problem with seeing a nicely done car of a certain time period ,say a 50's area semi-custom like the one dad had..,,.a guy builds it going by pictures or what ever from the family photo album....but being a younger guy probably not up on the history of hot rodding, hot rods, and or customs he ads some cool ,in his eyes, accessories...of course its going to be billit stuff , and do dads , big stereo systems, big wheels..you know the stuff...but he is thinking cool dad would of liked that and possibly if them parts would have been available back in the day his dad may have bought them...not my thing but its not my car its his ,he is happy and believes his dad would be also..
    Its about individualism, build for your enjoyment and not just to try to please others ...its a everchanging hobby..fads and styles change and peoples likes, dislikes ,views, change .
    When getting into the hobby, take some time to research its history and understand what things like traditional and classifications of different periods in time when the particular car and build style that flipped your trigger fits in,..thats mainly for the reason so that you don't go onto a traditional, or what ever, forum and ask about your 80 Chevrolet Citation that you want to chop the top , take off the door handles, lower it then put 20" wheels on it , and side pipes...then keeping with the 50's theme you want to hang some fuzzy dice on the mirror but with the chopped top they hang on the floor...is that the way they were in the traditional time of customs......then you will understand when someone on the traditional forum answers you by saying ...hell yes ..thats the way they hung on all chopped 80 Chevrolet Citations back in the 50's you fu`:**kn idiot...don't be offended...he was being polite compared to some.
    If the style of build or parts are not the thing when you want to build ,wait a few moments or so they will come around again..
    Did you see the story about the under ground tunnels they are finding on Mars... each one they xray has something different in it from different time periods on earth..I guess they found one thats a mile long and 1/4 mile wide and its full of traditional hot rods and customs and other items and cars of the same period...from the USA and other countries...thats not the strange part...when they tested the materials that the cars and other items are made from, steel, plastic ,rubber etc. it says that they date back 20,000 years...weird ? Right? Just shows that there's still stuff out there and that different fads ,styles , and traditional times have been coming and going for along time...even on Mars.

Meant for entertainment only.

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Mimilan

Mimilan

Nowadays the headlights would be dropped!

5. i know visors are worth a bunch. Had one when I bought my 50, took it off n sold it to buy good hot rod parts.

more of a BOMB or stock accessory then a hot rod part.

6. topher5150

topher5150

I remember as a young lad always taking a gander at the lady suicide knobs at the swap meets hoping my dad wouldn't notice.

nochop, rjgideon, Thor1 and 8 others like this.
  7. I Just Knew It!
    2589.jpg

8. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

How about those cry babies dolls.
    The wife’s name lettered on door.
    4 wheeler stance.

downlojoe33, Rramjet1, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Garder belt or graduation mortarboard Tassel hanging from rear view mirror. :)

charleyw, Nostrebor, Cosmo49 and 12 others like this.
  10. I had a Charm Bracelet *on my rear view mirror that my Girl friend
    gave me & I still have it, back in the 50's
    my car was Nosed & Decked white walls 850X15 tires in the rear
    and 710X15 in the Front,
    in the late 50'S I had all the door handles off the Car. & Smitty Muffler's
    and Duel Exhaust with a olds engine and it ran like a Raped ape

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Long & Die a Fool

11. I love white headers too- soon my Tudor will wear 'em proudly. :cool:

The reason for starting this thread was to point out our "selective nostalgia". We tend to celebrate some modifications & parts, but ignore (or even ridicule) others that might have been even *more* popular back then.

Mammal genitalia was the last thing on my mind! :eek:

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still have mine after 60 years. Hangs in my garage; not as nice as it once was.. AB6AD827-CCDD-4FE6-ACE5-F87BCA756ED5.jpeg

13. Yeah, the bomb guys love them but in AD truck world they are super popular as well. My 54 Chevy had one, sold it here before I got the car home. that was 18? years ago. Think I got $300 for it then. Traded the skirts to the bassist for BR549 here, I think he went by Buckshot48?

14. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Did them both in my '67 Camaro SS/RS, but that was 1969.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

14" wheels were the hot ticket. I bet more 14's were made of the custom wheels we treasure today than 15's but the 14's seem to be second-class now, which is a shame since they're kinda the antithesis of the large diameter wheels of today. I really like 14's for this very reason.

And don't give me that bullshit line about tires being hard to find, the internet has them and they're cheap.

16. Blake 27

Blake 27

Some parts are timeless! Screenshot-2018-5-31  Kookie's Kar S114 Indy 2018 Mecum Auctions(6).jpg

17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Visors say "Grandpa's Car" to me, always have and always will.
    Skirts are a car by car thing, some look good, some make the car look dowdy.
    To me headers have always been white, black or chrome depending on the car. Aluminum spray was my favorite.
    Never cared much for hanging things on my mirror either; had a St. Christopher medal my GF gave me hanging on my '58 Ford mirror (not my idea).
    How about chromed '32 Ford grill shells.... Saw some in the old magazines, don't see 'em today.

18. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Nobody mentioned the ball fringe hanging all around the back window mouldings.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

LAROKE, alanp561, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. Back in the day, one of the pocket items I would collect in the junk yard was the red crown tire valve caps from the Standard Oil gas station.
    I still have a couple originals and a set of repops.
    I've driven my rods all over USA and Canada. The only vandalism I've suffered was the loss of a repop set of those valve caps in Terre Haute, IN. I think a replacement set cost me $8.
    I drive them and enjoy them!

20. Squablow

Squablow

Laugh all you want, this car sold, in this condition, for close to a half million dollars.

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Agreed!

22. The thing about HAMB friendly cars is that it covers "traditional" cars before 1965 so if something was in style then.....it must still be in "HAMB Style" now. Unless the HAMB changes its date coverage, anything you saw back then should still be in style.
    So it doesn't matter whether you still like it or not, its our genre.

joel, -Brent-, clem and 8 others like this.
  23. adam401

adam401

Ive said it before and I'll say it again I think this version of the car is awesome. They should have just cloned the original version and left it alone.

Paul, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

And live ones too, he was a pet ! 2012-07-04 091332.jpg

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too funny. I still use Hai Karate...bought some on Epay...after all these years, it still makes the wife spunky ;):D:D:D:D

27. saltracer219

saltracer219

That is because of what it was before this picture and what it has become again! Hot Rod History!

Hutkikz, Fordors, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  28. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well thanks for clearing that up. Now how would one extract that bone... I'm thinking the remains of a poor quality hot dog or do you skin it? LOL

NOW back to regular scheduled programming...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. quick85

quick85
    BANNED