Register now to get rid of these ads!

Halibrand magnesium Champ quick-change rear ends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsters.com, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the NOS one that I bought from the owner of Sherm's Custom Plating in Sacramento on eBayMotors. (Sorry about the terrible picture. I'll be buying a real camera as soon as I figure out what to get.)

The Champ rear ends have twelve bolts on each side to attach the axle tubes to the housing.

What years of early Ford truck axle housings are the right ones to use?

That's about all I know about the axle housings, other than that one side was shorter than the other, and in most hot rod applications you want to use two of the shorter ones. Could someone please tell me the overall length of each size of axle housing?

Has anyone on here adapted a Detroit Locker or something similar and Ford 9" axles to a Champ rear end?

I'd also like to hear some opinions on the strength of these center sections. I don't ever want to break or damage the casting, so if we decide that it's not strong enough for my roadster (496-inch big block Chevy on race gas, Brodix single-plane intake, Pro Topline 320cc heads, Scat profiled 4 1/4 crank, built Turbo 400, a "real" four-link with Heim joints, and 13.00-16 M&H slicks), then I'll use a braced Ford 9" housing and save the Champ for another project with a 327 or a 301.

There's a page about the roadster project at http://www.roadsters.com/32/ and another about its engine at http://www.roadsters.com/power/

Thanks for any help with this.

Dave
    (602) 233-8400
    http://www.roadsters.com/

2. I've run some of those center sections in my sprint cars over the years. Of course, they've all had live open-tube axles. The problem you're going to have is finding a differential that fits one of those. There are aluminum truck-type side bells...I think Frankland in Ruskin, FL still has them. You'd like them better than the truck bells which are are cast iron and HEAVY. An even neater way to go is with side plates that adapt that center to early Ford passenger car axle housings. You will still be facing the differential problem however.

I'd suggest solving the differential problem first...then get whatever side bells or adaptors that you need to make it all work together. A Detroit Locker might also be a solution as far as a diff. is concerned but that might turn out to be a clunky way of doing it.

Try contacting Winters Performance (?) in PA...I think they make street quick-change rears so they might have what you need.

3. Mutt

Mutt

Jamie Frankland @ Frankland Welding (Rearends)

Order # 1-888-287-6148
    Tech # 1-813-634-9556

Mutt

4. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

For those who'd like to save it, here's Frankland's address, too:

Jamie Frankland
    Frankland Welding & Agricultural Repair
    15064 Balm Road
    Tampa, FL 33602
    (813) 634-9556 - tech
    (888) 287-6148 - orders

Dave
    (602) 233-8400

5. Mutt

Mutt

Dave - the last card I have from Jamie lists his mailing address as:

P.O. Box 25
    Balm, Fl 33503

UPS - 15064 Balm Rd.

Mutt

6. QQMOON

QQMOON

G,day Dave I all so have the same problem although i do have housings but no hemishere a guy out here runs a frankland whick looks to be the same spec he has a locker center and it all fits seem to be stong enough blown 460 in an A coupe any good luck I will keep an eye on this post I just might learn something.JR

7. jambottle

jambottle

Hi Dave;
    the center section you have takes the 12 bolt side housings.the one that takes the stock ford
    side bells(1938-1952 ford 3/4 ton truck)were the 11 bolt verson .also your housing has the lever disconect system that was introduced in 1981.it was to eliminate the weight of the in and out boxes they used to use.the earlier type is much cleaner looking and less prone to problems.only the short side housings of the 3/4 ton rear eends were used,so you need 2 rear ends to rob the short housings.also the bearing retainer on one side will be 2 inches short and will need a 2 inch spacer made up.those early rear are getting hard to find.i have to thank the Tampa Boys (dv8 and voodoo)
    for there hospality and to dv8 for setting me up with a free 3/4 ton ton rear to convert my champ.
    quickchange.hope this info helps a little. Chris

8. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

[ QUOTE ]
    The center section you have takes the 12-bolt side housings. The one that takes the stock Ford side bells (1938-1952 Ford 3/4-ton truck) were the 11-bolt verson.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the only axle housings that will work with this Champ are aftermarket, correct?

[ QUOTE ]
    Only the short side housings of the 3/4-ton rear ends were used, so you need 2 rear ends to rob the short housings.

[/ QUOTE ]

So there are some early Ford housings that will bolt up to this center section without using adapters?

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, the bearing retainer on one side will be 2 inches short and will need a 2 inch spacer made up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten-four.

[ QUOTE ]
    Your housing has the lever disconnect system that was introduced in 1981, to eliminate the weight of the in/out boxes they used to use. The earlier type is much cleaner looking and less prone to problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave at Ellis Race Cars, just east of my shop, makes a cover that's used in place of the in/out mechanism.

[ QUOTE ]
    Hope this info helps a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure did. Thanks for taking the time.

Dave

9. jambottle

jambottle

dave;
    all early ford 3/4 ton were attached with 11 bolts and will not fit your housing.the v8
    housing had 10 bolts.i belive the adapter that winters sells only fits the 11 bolt housing
    and converts it to take the small v8 (10 bolt) side bells.I have a 1981 halibrand catalog-
    manuel.i will have to learn how to post pictures on here!i could photo copy it for you if
    you wanted. chris

10. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Dave, if you need some parts, I've got a '48 F2 that has been parted out. I've still got the rearend. let me know what parts you might need.

11. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Thanks for the offers of the manual and parts for this, but I've decided to set this piece aside for a future, less-powerful project because I don't want to break it. Based on E-mails I received from racers, it's better-suited to something with less torque and narrower tires that launches more gently. I might use it in the coupe. For reliability, the roadster would be far better off with a Ford 9" floater rear end.

Dave

12. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Funny you should post this. I just went and looked at Champ QC at an old guys house close to me, and I didn't know if I should buy it or not. Lower shaft is there, pinion is there, rear cover, spool, side adapters. He wants $125. Adapting a differential is what interests me. I told him I would get back with him. He also had a Wico mag for a 4 cyl, and interesting right angle adapter for an early Ford flathead that mounts the distributor on one side and the fuel injection pump on the other.

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

First off...let me say..I am sorry for dredching up an old post..... but I think I am screwed.

Shown below is the Halibrand QC champ rear I have for my 32 hemi truck.
    I am in the final stages of build and I have been searching to get this rear finished.
    I have been coming up real short.
    Parts are scarce and if found I have been getting very scary prices.
    Prices that far outweigh the cost to to this practically.
    I have spoken to Dick Spadaro(many thanks Dick, for listening to my lamenting whining!)
    And Cyclone Kevin as well!(Kevin.we need to talk. I will pm you shortly and many thanks!)

Basicly, what I have is a Champ (not a mag Champ)..ford side bells(passenger car)...the adapters to fit and big ford bearings on either end.This has been all done and brackets in place for the chassis mock-up.
    internally, I need axles,.. and most importantly a ring assembly.there is a pinion gear...but no spur gears.

Please forgive me if I screw up the proper terminoligy on parts...I am not very familar with this type of unit.

People have suggested that I should throw in the towel and get a winters or some other product.... cut my losses.
    Is this a white elephant?

I have made contact with a few people who have said they can get the job done....but some prices I am geting are $3500-4000!Others don't quote and I don't want to drive 4 hours for nothing.
    insane.
    As most of you know..the engine is a full bore 392(punched to 422) and backed by a Richmond 5 speed.
    Tires are firestone champs...not big meats.
    I guess I am looking for ..1-driveabilty,2-strength and 3-dependabilty.

Anybody out there have thoughts!
    I would like to hear them.

Sorry for the crummy pic.

Like I said....I think I am screwed:(

Attached Files:

• 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      108 KB
      Views:
  14. Ruiner

Ruiner

Can you grab your ankles? Cause I think that's what you'll wind up having to do anyway...I'm sorry man, I wish I could help...my only advice would be to either find a way to get the cash (which is pretty steep cash to be raising for rearend parts) or get your money out of what you have and find something else...you never know, if you let it sit around for a year or two and run something else the right parts might fall in your lap...

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'd ebay that sucker and put a nice 9 inch under it and drive it. You could have Currie build you one for what you'll have in parts.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yea....problem is...the whole chassis is set up to accept this rear. (Well it ain't that big of a deal)
    I just sold a complete 57 ford 9 to 36 couper
    (Isn't that always the way?!?!?!....damn)

Well....I want A QC for this project.......
    I have been researching a new QC unit....and it would be cheaper to get out now.
    I can't use the smaller V-8 one....I don't think it would last.

17. racer756

racer756

Brush, On page 58 of theFeb 2007 edition of Rod & Custom, there is a tech article that addresses your problem ( I think) I also plan on puttting a QC in my coupe. So anything that comes up on this catches my eye.
    Keep us posted.

18. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

I have a magnesium champ in my coupe.It has a detroit locker in it. I got it from a freind and the center section was all ready assembled. The axle tube I used were off a 1941 rear end I had. Then I took a nine inch and cut the ends off where the tubes would line up and be the right over all size. I ordered some 31 spine ford axels and put it all togther. So now I have 9 inch ford brakes and good axle retaners. The rear end has been in my car since Paso. I got more than a few thousand miles on it now. I even took it to Kingdom and ran it a few mounts ago. I'm running a four speed and a 400hp small block in it.With cheater slicks and at the track I had them down to 15 pounds. My car still spun the tires like crazy.But I had a little to much gear in it (456s).I'm not 100% sure that it will hold up but it's been doing great so far. It's nice to thow in some 306's and hit the Freeway and the next day throw in some 456's and tear up the street. Scott

Attached Files:

19. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

jamie frankland is the man for rear ends.
    hes the son of the inventor of frankland quick changes. he grew up working on rear ends.call him!
    Randy