Register now to get rid of these ads!

Halibrand 301 axle questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcranger, Mar 16, 2013.

1. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

the car i am working on has an old 301 halibrand in it, was told it was gone through only needed rear cover gasket , well getting things rolling i notice that the pass axle just rolls by itself? drivers moves the yoke ,pulled axles bearings all look new seals are new pass axle no splines drivers has splines ,look down tubes see splines drivers side pass side looks like a bearing assenbly so axle can ride there is it possible that it was setup for the street to run just one side? only explination i can think of ,any info or ideas would be a great help

2. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

also there is a set screw with a locking nut on the pass axle case looks like for some kind of adjustment,like on a steering box ?

3. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

What do you have for a differential in the case? If this is a spool(straight drive) it will have two splined axle shafts. If there are no splines on one the axle shaft and it is just installed and retained by the end bearing or cap then somebody doctored the unit up as a single axle drive unit. Constructed this way there is only drive wheel and this can be a new experience in motoring when it looses traction. The snubber screw is used to prevent the ring gear from cocking under load.

4. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

can only see splines on the drivers side no splines on the pass side ,not worried about the one wheel drive ,just wasnt sure about it being done that way ,car is so lite the 4 guys could pick it up,only thing i do not know is what ring and pinion is in it ,is there a way to tell without splitting it open? has # 8 gear set in it now