Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR Inspiratinal Picture Post.

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by alteredpilot, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Ha Ha, Can you imagine hitting a turttle going down the track.:eek:
    Randy dont show any more of those twin eng cars.:D

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Ouch, ............ calls to mind that scene of Shrek sliding down the castle bannister (what, no pain smiley?).

3. Rand Man

Rand Man

This is the last one I have for now. This one is running skinny bias plys. Cool.

Attached Files:

4. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I have seen this pic before,I was surprised they were running the bias tires. I thought we were the only ones ever that had to do that.:)

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

A Hamber called Glen posted these on the main board. Had a Crosley mill.

Attached Files:

6. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Cool pic Randy, Me and a buddie in 1962 had a 98in scottyfin slingshot dragster with a crosley eng. The best I remember that thing would wind up to about 9000 rpm.

7. Rand Man

Rand Man

Here are a few "rail jobs" from the early 1950's

Attached Files:

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

a few more

Attached Files:

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

HA/GR represents the era before the OHV V8 and the sling shot took over. Some are sleek and some are crude. It was a time of inovation, but yet is was a simple time.

Attached Files:

10. Rand Man

Rand Man

Some were converted sprint cars. Some cars were ran at the drags with designs we now think were only ran on the lakes.

Attached Files:

11. Rand Man

Rand Man

Different takes in the same era.

Attached Files:

12. Rand Man

Rand Man

more '50's stuff

Attached Files:

13. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Awesome stuff Rand. Keep 'em coming. And would be neat if a guy knew the date the pic was taken.

I can't believe how unceremoniously you posted the 2 bug pics. ;) these 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  14. Rand Man

Rand Man

This forum embraces the post-war-pre-slingshot era. Rather than "cookie cutter, this era gives us the most freedom and room for expression in design. This thing was just being invented. Write your own story, just fit it into a certain timeframe.

One hint on this latest bunch: file name on some of them, such as 1951Flathead...jpg. None of the photos I posted last night were taken later than 1958, most pre-1954. After that, most of the photographic evidence indicates a new era had begun. Which was the short sling-shot during the NHRA Nitro ban. After 1963, another style and another era.

15. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

I was just mentioning that the bug, the inspiration for the HA/GR stuff didn't even get a nod. Nothing more than that. :) It's a cool pic. I appreciate your efforts in this thread. :)

16. 348chevy

348chevy

One of the twin flathead dragsters is Jim Brissette and his brother's. Jim lived next door to my wife's folks. He would run his fueler and come home and tear the engine comepletely down and take the block out to the curb and scrub it with soap and water then take it back and put it together for the next week. Jim and his brother also had a A fuel roadster that was the fastest around but blewup regularly. Another HA/GR type shown was the Bean Bandits. If you ever saw them run then you know they were a bunch of guys who were true backyard builders and really were tough to beat. It is amazing that some of these cars went 140 + mph in the 50's, Gene's Brake shop, The Chrisman brothers no. 25, the Bean Bandits I saw them run that fast so I know it is true. They had a saying though " gasoline was for washing parts".:D Roy

17. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

"Gasoline was for washing parts"

"Alcohol was for drinking"

"Nitro was for racing"

Roy,

What do you think a 25-30% load of nitro would do in our Jimmy's?

Ron

18. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

19. nexxussian

nexxussian

Err, in a 'normal' Jimmy, IIRC California Bill had a brew that included Alcohol, Nitro and Tap Water :eek: (75%, 15% and 10% respectively IIRC). The tap water was supposedly for detonation supression (up jet acordingly :rolleyes:).

In your Jimmy I'd be worried about those rods (light and nicely longer, but not alot of margin for abuse, not nit picking, I'm amazed there was something available that was useable). Not half as worried about the rods as the gearbox grenading though (I'm kinda attached to my feet, I'd like to keep it that way).

If you had a scattershield that would be an interesting 'experiment' though. :D (no whammy, no whammy, c-mon 7, errr, I mean 6 :rolleyes:).

20. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

You know what would be a nice "sister" thread to this? An HA/GR cars that have been built, thread. I know when looking for inspiration on those, you can go back many years looking for stuff. Be nice to have them all in one spot. :) Maybe encourage people not to post questions in that thread so it doesn't get muddied.

my .02

-Bob

21. Rand Man

Rand Man

You may not be seeing all the posts. At the bottom of the main page of this forum, there are "Display Options". It may default to "Last Two Months". Set yours "From The Begining". The path to true learning is not likely to be the shortest distance.

22. nexxussian

nexxussian

Amen.

23. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

The path to true learning includes reading the RIGHT books, not all the books. ;)

The other key to learning is organization. The key to progress is movement.

What we have are hundreds of little pamphlets... Let's make 'em a book. :)

I'd do it, but I don't know everybody all that well yet. Gotta be somebody with a car that does that organizing into a thread of "built" HA/GR cars.

24. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

we dont NEED a "book". we dont need a thread that contains just build pics and blueprints of how a car went together. we already have the search function. its not all that hard, and there arent all that many threads in the HA/GR forum to look through. it isnt like the classifieds for the love of pete :rolleyes:

settle down. put the keyboard away and haul out your welder. build it. the rules are loose ON PURPOSE. tight rules make for an easy build with less guesswork (read less thought involved), but we arent interested in an HA/GR-IROC series. if thats your goal, great! there are many classes in the NHRA that you can paint by numbers too.

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

AMEN!! Well said FiddyFour.

26. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

You can search for pics in the search function? blueprints? Who's threads you looking at?

I must have said something wrong, my apologies. I was thinking a thread, just like this one, to celebrate those that got cars done, not the whole build thread for each. As an example, Here's toymaker's car... next picture of the next car... all of them in one spot. Celebrating the coolness of it all. Give credit where credit is due. You know what an HA/GR car, threads not for you. It's for the people that wander in and are intrigued. The goal is to show people isn't it?

So, in a thread called HA/GR we should not have a thread called, "Completed HA/GR race cars"?

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I really don't think that there are any "blueprints", most of these cars are built to chalklines on the garage floor and the builders imagination. I know that we haven't got any drawings of our design, just "concept sketches". As said before these are home built drag rails, the way they used to be made.

As for finished cars, the pictures are usually found in the owner's build threads or the race meet posts, and as with most real hotrods, they aren't ever really finished, but "works in progress".

28. nexxussian

nexxussian

The closest to 'blueprints' I've seen were napkin sketches. Can't recall where I saw them posted though :confused:.

29. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i've seen at least two cars drawn out in CAD. both exceptional works in and of themselves

30. nexxussian

nexxussian

Good CAD work is a sight to behold. Were those posted? (I have searched, didn't find them, in this forum or on the main board, sometimes I have that problem though:confused:).