Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Old28

Old28

I will say that the slant 6 really like those Weber Sidedraft carb units and seam to run real well.

I am looking forward to seeing ThingyM modification at the track later this year with a well wormed over Ford 300 and a C-4 trans. I am still going to do the FT piston 250 motor if I can get the car running like it should. One of the cars out of the Pacific Nothwest group runs low 11's with a 300 ford. I think the car is a little lighter than ours with MS tube chassis and hooks better with those 8" Pie Crust Slicks.

2. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Bob W- Thanks for the kind words!! It was a real pleasure talking with you at the Meltdown drags.
    Saturday I ran a 1923 Ford Altered with a chevy engine & Fuel Injection, this car was faster than mine but I was able to cut real good lights & won all 3 races. It was huge fun with my Ford Flathead to do this. The altered runs out of Kansas City I believe, I say this because he talked about pitting for Ron Golden's Ha/Gr car at MoKan. He was with them when the clutch exploded. This was on Saturday.
    Sunday I ran Randy Wegner's 29 Ford Roadster Blown fuel Hemi, well I didn't win that one. LOL. after that I ran Bubba's (Jim Linder)old Ha/Gr car, now running a small block Chevy.
    Our first run I let him have a little lead as his earlier run was a little over 13 sec. I missed 3rd gear and just bearly missed winning by .017 sec. That run he ran in the 12'S.
    Our 2nd pass I didn't allow any favors and a good thing as he ran around a 12.43 to my 11.84(bad air day), it was real close most of the way with me pulling ahead at the end. It was great fun. This was his first time out for him with the car and it will be in the 11's shortly I'm sure. A fine fellow, can't remember his name though
    These Nostalgia events are all I do now and are super fun, tech is not very stringent at any that I have been to. So this is a great way to get to run your Ha/Gr car.

3. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

4. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

5. Old28

Old28

Those are nice video of the races. That injected FH sounds great and lays down a nice number. Bob H, are you still running a stick setup in the car or have you switched over to a C4 or PG?

6. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Still running stick shift 2 speed, I'm sure it would improve with an automatic, but will leave that alone. I changed to a 4.11 rear ratio from a 4.30 after going to Hilborn Injection & Alky. I would like to try 3.89, hoping I could still pull this, remember I start in 2nd gear.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry for the newbie question but how do you measure the engine temp with a dry block?

8. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

It appears to read normal, maybe it doesn't matter if its measuring air or water.

9. Old28

Old28

Ran a dry block & heads on my BBC injected altered roadster and blown/injected dragster, both on alcohol for years with no temp gauge. That what god gave crew members hands for. I would not put any faith in temp gauge reading done in air only, but that's just me.

That's why we run alcohol, more for the cooling than the performance. It is hard to get the motor up to race temp when in the lanes most of the time. We would do a big Smokey burnout with the blowen car and have to back up real slow to start getting heat back in the motor before staging.

10. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Well I'm not so sure that it is reading air, probably transfer from the head also, what ever it doesn't appear to read any different than when the block was filled with water!!! It cuts down on cool off time as it doesn't have 3 gal of water to cool off also. Plus you are right the alky makes it run cooler. I like the gauge to read 140 deg when I stage, but it is usually lower than that. I normally don't do a burn out pass starting lights because of no reverse. I will occasionally for show, depends who is pitting for me, they need to push me back.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just the way it used to be...Don't need no stinking reverser, that's what the crew is for. :p

12. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    With a race coming up in a few weeks I dragged the trailer out of the woods. The plywood deck was a bad idea. Looked good freshly varnished but the weather ruined the plywood in three years. Today I ripped it off and began preparing these 14 gauge formed channel pieces, 4 1/2 feet long, to be welded on as the trailer deck.
    Should be a lot more durable and stronger too.
    Tom, I have little first hand experience with converters but I am excited about the 8" you are installing. Wish I had one.

13. Old28

Old28

Great idea on the trailer modifications, the runners will look more like 60's dragster trailer. Were are you going to run the car at? Is it a 1/4 or 1/8 mile strip? Has the weather moved into summer in your area? Good luck at the track.

I am sending you a PM later tonight.

14. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Went to physical therapy and found out I have an "impingement" in my shoulder. Hurts like hell if I move my right arm away from my body.
    Anyhow, it only takes one arm to stick weld all the panels on the trailer and roll a coat of Por15 look-a-like on 'em.
    Made some ramp extensions too so the oil pan will clear the rear crossmember of the trailer when loading and unloading.
    Tom, Brainerd is a quarter mile but a person can elect to run the eighth during this private event. Best part is it is free to MSRA members. Our event is two weeks after the NHRA big show there so the track will be very sticky. Nice weather lately. 60's at night, high 70's during the day.

15. Old28

Old28

Bob, sorry to hear about your shoulder, I hope physical therapy helps you out. The aqua and heat therapy have done wonders for my back. Still don't think I can get in/out of the race car all weekend, but at least I can work on the car without pain. My young shoe can take care of the driving.

Trailer is looking nice, That steel should fair better than the wood in your mild :eek: winter off season. Sounds like it is nice back there, have a good time at the race. Let us know how the bullet runs. May be last time before a Ford 300 takes it place.;)

My mini starter and flexplate should be here by the 9th and the converter is ready to go in. Had to make a couple of garage modifications as the converter was for a 1/4" motor plate. Had to grind down the mounting tabs and shorten the center alignment tube .100" so every thing fits correct.

16. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Had to find a place on the trailer to carry the ramp extensions. Made these brackets and the pins hold the ramps in place.
    Also made some front wheel blocks which will prevent side to side movement and locate the car front to back. The paint (Rustoleum) is still drying. That paint takes a long time to dry.
    Even with the long ramps the oil pan still touches the rear crossmember of the trailer when loading and unloading. I made some 2" by 6" by 1 1/2" thick "speed bumps" to raise the front wheels at the right place. Paint is drying on those too.

17. Old28

Old28

Looking good Bob, That paint would dry in 1/2 hour out in Bako. :D

We are having a cooling trend only 97/96 this weekend, but then back up to 100 next week.:eek:

Got enough parts back on the car so I could start it and hold brake down by hand to test RPM in gear. Was able to hold rear wheels from spinning and the idle stayed at 1200 RPM. So far so good.;):rolleyes:

Need to get the seat and rest of the junk in place so I can get in and see what I can foot brake the stall up too. Maybe on Monday.

18. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Trailer is done. Added the chocks in front to position the wheels side to side and to set the car front to back. It's hard to see but I added some 2" by 6" boards on part of the deck. They raise the front wheels while loading and unloading, so the oil pan clears the trailer rear crossmember.

19. Old28

Old28

Car looks real fine on the remodeled trailer. I've got to build some wheel stops for the pit cart above the car on my trailer and add a 1x8" board for the tires to roll on, my cleats make it to hard to roll it back so I can winch it down.

Are you going to pull it to the drags with the Plymouth pickup? :confused:

If you do post a loaded picture so we can see the rigs together.:)

20. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I thought I had found a shoe for the dragster. Sixty-eight year old grandmother of 9. Unfortunately, she doesn't like to go fast, hates noise and couldn't get out of the car. Looks like I'm still in.
    Tom, like most of my projects the Plymouth truck is 85% finished. It's a driver and does most things well. Not yet suitable as a tow vehicle, however. So, I'll have to use my 2005 Silverado.

21. Old28

Old28

Bob, I know how she feels. I worked all day Sunday to get the car back together, under it 20 times, spent Monday cleaning and putting the garage back together and today my back was as bad as it's been in 2 months. This old age stuff ain't all it's cracked up to be.:eek:

Hoping to test it tomorrow. Got to be one test as I am sure I could not get out twice.;):rolleyes:

22. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Went to Brainerd (where the NHRA big boys ran last weekend) for the Minnesota Street Rod Assn. free drags. Since I had an untested trans, converter and carb set up I made an easy first run. The temp. was in the mid 90's so I ran 1/8 mile because there were very few cars doing that. Short staging lines for 1/8 mile mean't I didn't have to sit in the car roasting in the firesuit for very long. First run was at 3/4 throttle. Trans shifted fine at a pretty low RPM and the engine felt strong. I stopped on the return road to get the helmet, jacket, etc off to avoid heat prostitution. Darn thing wouldn't restart as the middle carb was flooding greatly.
    I fixed the flooding but the carb wouldn't stop leaking out the inlet fitting. The remedy was to plug the fuel line to the leaking carb and run on the two end carbs. It started but barely idled. Soldiering on, I made a pass. Seemed to leave okay (stock converter, trans in Drive) but then just kind of flattened out.
    Ran an 8.98 @ 76mph. Not good, but under the circumstances, acceptable. It was fun even at the speed. It computes to 14.06 @ 94mph for the 1/4.
    I'm getting mighty tired of throwing carb set ups at this thing using worn out swap meet units. Also, I can tell that with the mild engine I will be fortunate to get in the 12's with a good carb setup and well tuned.
    Not sure what I'll do next...

23. Old28

Old28

Sounds like a so/so weekend, but at least you got to make a few passes and check out your trans and converter. I'd kill to just run 14.06 right now.

If I had a 300 Ford sitting in my shop I know what I would do this
    winter:D Put that mild 300" with that C4, an aftermarket 4bbl intake and a 600 cfm Edelbrock on it and go run mid 12's all day without all the problems. It's an SDRA car now, might as well have fun with what you got.

Did you go on Facebook and see the dyno numbers on one of the Tulsa SDRA members 300" Ford with shelf built item's. Look at (RoadRunner5) last post to find it. Mighty impressive and you don't have to go to the max.
    As they say in racing "NO SUBSTITUTION FOR CUBIC INCHES";)

My the way that is one fine looking C/A Bantum Coupe replica sitting next to you.

Again I was unable to race this weekend, Family medical problem. I hope to make the last ANRA race and last Eagle Field race in Oct. This year has been a complete write off, still have not done a street converter test.:rolleyes:

24. injected27

injected27

Not bad on 2 carbs and a stock trans. My partner is not much fater with a 440 street car. But any day racing is a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep the faith bobw. Old28 is right about the cubic inch factor. To get into the 12's is going to take 250+ horse power. While that has been done with a 225 slant six, it's isn't cheap.

There have been a lot of Mopar 6 speed parts for sale on Ebay and Craig's list, as well as the HAMB, but they are not free. Without putting in a good cam and raising the compression ratio I don't see how you can get out of the 13's. It will probably require a “juiced up” track too.

The results that you are getting with what you have are outstanding. I personally am working on a HA/GR right now. I have a 261 block that needs a lot of $ thrown at it but I have a running 235 that will probably go in first so that I can sort out the chassis and other bugs. If I ever got into the low 14’s with that engine I would be ecstatic.

I really feel that limiting HA/GR and SDRA to open competition is discouraging a number of lower budget racers. There is no way that you can come close to the times that the tricked out 300+ cubic inch Fords, GMC, and 261's are posting with a mostly stock engine.

Except for a few pockets around the country and down under, there aren't many chances to run against other "throw back" diggers. You can only judge your progress by the times that get posted here and on other treads.

Perhaps we need to adopt some kind of classification system based on displacement and vintage of the engine, similar to what was used in the early days of the dry lakes and airport strips. Then everyone could post their best times on a special tread and we could judge ourselves against our peers. It is rather difficult to figure out what setup was used and the track conditions, for posting the times currently shown on this thread

To keep growing the movement we need to evolve.

bobw, it’s my dream to hook up with you at the Meltdown Drags next year or maybe get the Iowa guys to have a little showdown at a strip that is central to all of us.
    :)

26. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Okay, this is going in the car this winter. My friend Jim brought it all the way from Atlanta as a gift. He gave me a 4 bbl. intake and a lot of other parts too. The slant six is very streetable so I'll put it in a hot rod, yet to be built.
    Meltdown Drags, here I come!
    The Bantam-like car is a Studebaker Dictator shortened a bit. Built as a street only hot rod it gained a bunch of horsepower with a healthy 383 sbc and some giggle gas. Runs high 9's at 135mph. There is zero drag race science in the suspension. Pretty remarkable performance, I think. It belongs to my very good friend Terry and his wife Lee.
    Ya know, If a narrowed rear end or some cheap, narrow slicks show up on Craigslist, my car could evolve even more.
    Old28, Dammit, you deserve a good fall season. Best of luck.

27. Old28

Old28

RacerRoy3 -- Well put !!!!!!! good information:)

bobw -- This is the best news I have heard in the last few weeks.:D
    250-275HP is not that hard to make with that 300". Now you have a new winter project, but you have to get that Plymouth pickup done too.;)

I would kill to make a pass in that Stude, talk about looking right.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  28. Old28

Old28

Make sure you take lots of pictures of the Engine/Trans change as we need some for the future builders. ;)

I still see 11.50-11.75 in 2014 as the snow clears. You may want to add a few feet onto that driveway for testing.:eek:

29. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bobw - I don't think a narrowed rear will help the times too much but with all of the extra torque and HP of the 300, a nice set of "cheaters" will seem like a shot of nitro.:D

30. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Okay, I just got off the phone with JW Performance and ordered an Ultra Bell bellhousing to fit between a 300 Ford 6 and a Powerglide. So I guess I'm committed to changing the dragster over.
    Would like to sell the Crosley pictured above. Easy 10 second car. PM me.

RacerRoy3, I've read your post several times. In my situation, there will never be a group of HA/GR or SDRA cars in my area. I seldom travel anywhere. Therefore, I will attend Test and Tune to play with the car and also go to some nostalgia events where there really isn't any eliminations. That means I can alter the car any way that pleases me. I don't want to get too far away from early to mid 50's in terms of appearance though.