Register now to get rid of these ads!

Guys with collections....you ever loose interest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kwmpa, May 14, 2011.

1. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I have 12 cars now all in various condition...and a 1947 Chris craft that's a total basket case....you ever just loose interest and want to sell everything...I mean it's not that I don't like what I have...I love everything I own but I'd like to just have one nice driving flathead and be done with it

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Somebody call me?

3. seret

seret

Yes! then no, then yes then no, and so on

4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Who wants a '66 Impala 4dr sedan that i've TOTALLY lost interest in? Only needs about 4-6 hours of body work, then paint and reassembly. Just want to break even at this point.

I've also got a '72 IHC Travelall I'm thinking that i never should'a brought home.

I dumped 5 cars in the past 2 years because I realized that I'd never build them, and even if I did why would I need that many cars?

5. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! I lost interest in my '91 5.8L pony... I'm sure I won't have any problems selling it.. I'd love to buy a '55 or '57 chevy next.. :rolleyes::D

6. I gave up cars except for daily drivers for about 10 years, 10 years ago. Started missing fooling around with them though. Now I'm back in the groove.

7. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

It gets overwhelming sometimes, especially when money gets tight I don't have money for the gas to drive them. I have two vehicles that my son and I drive and I also have two others, one in progress and one stalled and in storage for now. The in progress one is coming along and when I get discouraged I pull up images of restored examples and it inspires me to keep going.

To be honest, when I step back once and a while and assess the situation. I think it's kind of foolish to have more than one car or truck, you can only drive one at a time and they cost more for everyone I have but my small fleet is my only obsession. I don't drink or smoke and it doesn't hurt anyone.

8. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

I colletct whatever the wiffy ets me bring home or what I can hide from her at my Pop's place.

Hell I deploy so mush that I never have anytime to lose interest.

Viva

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thats what I tell my wife everytime she complains about me wanting to work on my cars.

10. Toner283

Toner283

Same kind of idea here. Every time she hints that I spend too much time & $$ on my cars, I suggest that I could be out drinking and chasing women & she tells me to go play in the garage.

I have contemplated selling several to finish a couple but so far I have not been able to bring myself to do it. I go out & look at them & can't make a choice so I keep them all.

11. Cadillac Keith

Cadillac Keith
    from Reno

About 8 years ago I sold off almost everything because I lost interest. Didn't last long though. Within a years time projects and parts started creeping back in. Now I have 11 (not counting the D.D.s) and a couple bikes. Only a few don't run and drive at this point. I sell a few a year to fund the projects and to buy more.

All that said I still consider selling most of them just so I can focus more on the ones I really want...Oh wait thats all of them. Guess I'll just keep them for now.

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Thankyou for your service sir!

And Yes I get tired of some stuff and move on, and others I never get tired of. Ive got enough collected to last awhile but not a lifetime. I figure Ive still got room for a couple more !! ;)

13. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

hell i've only got one right now and i'm losing interest in that. if i had more i'd be having a fire sale

14. VonWegener

VonWegener

I did that once. Sold everything including the literature and bought a ready to run fuel altered. From this I found out that for me to feel happy and grounded I need a few dead car projects and a few motorcycles around the house and the last thing I need is a race car.

15. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I got a 40 ford sedan delivery that I'm kinda really focused on...I restore cars for a living and just don't feel the need to do it when I get home too...I guess I need to have a bug sale and everything must go to bad no one has money right now

16. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Haha I would ca is a little far from pa though....got a 36 3-window with a built 304ci flathead you would just run with

17. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

Im having to slim the herd down as I seem to be just maintaing my cars rather than restoring or building anything. Sometimes I think it would be better to sell em all and buy one real nice car. but then i cant let the ones ive got go .... so in the end i just keep getting more...

18. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Well when I do a car and it is done I loose interest Very fast

19. fitzee

fitzee

You are just like myself.Work at it all day and have no interest in it after hours. I am in the middle of liquidating everything I have.I been want a car with a roof on it with leg room for a few years. I have 4 projects and still I have to use the T bucket this year. I have everything for sale cheep locally but no takers.

20. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

i have a daily driver and my 53 and i don't lose interest in working on the 53 i just get overwhelmed with all the work she needs and my daily driver has been slowly falling apart so the DD has become more of a priority at the moment.

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

You are just like myself.Work at it all day and have no interest in it after hours. I am in the middle of liquidating everything I have.I been want a car with a roof on it with leg room for a few years. I have 4 projects and still I have to use the T bucket this year. I have everything for sale cheep locally but no takers.

When i was finished high school I decided after much anguish not to enter the automotive trades ...my reasoning being that if I did it all day long for a living I probably would loose my love of it as a hobby....seems to have been a good decision ,for me anyways .

22. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

exactly why i don't work in shops anymore.

23. MorMetal

MorMetal

Ditto!

I'm getting back into it but this time I'm taking it slow. Looking to buy and rebuild a DD pick-up. Just one, not several.

Once I get myself all settled into a new house and location in Texas I'll start the process. Right now I'm trying to decide what it will be and go from there.

I know the reason I lost interest before was due to my inability to walk away from a good deal on just about anything. I'm not going there again.

24. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Problem with selling everything is I have so much tied up into stuff that no one wants to pay asking prices. And I'm not going to loose $15k a project....I actually down sized once already But im seriously thinking it's time....indent ever drive anything anymore it's depressing actually...sad part is I threw some stuff up for sale and in have some pretty rare stuff and no one seems to have money to buy

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  25. fitzee

fitzee

Steve my biggest problem is i have to do all my own work at my shop.My little garage at my place is full and no room for nothing. The thoughts of heading out to the shop on a weekend kills me.I`ll never get sick of it.There is nothing else I like to do!! Oh yes it is, cruz in my cars!! A roof would be nice!!

26. fitzee

fitzee

Ya i have a bunch of parts for projects I have that people want but like i tell them none of that is being sold till the car is gone.

I am thinking that the old car racket is drying up. around here Motor cycles are the hot ticket now.Unlike you guys, up here we are booming,Money is everywhere. Everybody is driving big trucks and our gas is a lot more then you guys. up here no one want a old project any more!!

27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The simple answer is YES!!!!!!!!!!!

It's very common to loose interest in a project that is taking longer then you thought it would.

This sometimes happens to me and when it happens sometimes you do very stupid things like selling a car that you should never have sold.

Right now I have an old Camaro sitting in my garage with 3,200 miles on it that looks brand new and every once in a while I take it for a ride.

Whenever one of the guys comes over and spots the car they ask me to sell it to them and something in my gut say's don't do it!!!!!!!!!!

Remember once you sell any car the changes of ever getting it back are slim.

Jimbo

28. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

There is a difference between a collection and an accumulation. I'm trying to get down to a small collection.

29. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I used to drag home everything that had any real or imagined potential. I was spread too thin to ever get anything done. At some point, way too late in life, I decided to focus on one car build at a time. It still isn't done either but has some chance of seeing the road this year.

30. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I've got 8 cars total, boy after reading this thread, I'm doing pretty good! ha!

I don't really loose interest in cars, or motorcycles, or boats, but I do switch up between projects. I only have 1 that isn't a running driving project so maybe that is the difference. When they aren't driveable it can be hard to get motivated. I find that once you can drive it around the block it really can light the fire to keep working on it.
    My main issues are money and time I don't have enough of either. Things get done but with 3 cars considered projects they just get done slower, while maintaining the others.
    A supportive wife/girlfriend helps!