Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Oh.....Bruce!!!!
    Some things ya just gotta keep to yourself....sheeeesh

[​IMG]

2. LOL I saw one of those on a car last week.

My favorite from back then said, "Down with Hot Pants!" :D

3. Cool that your dad took you to Ascot Park. Mine was kind of limited to Dodgers and Rams games and I had to wait till I was older and could go with friends or drive myself.

Best story I ever heard from Ascot Park was my friend, Bob Murgatroyd (yes, that's really his name), stepping on the brakes of his '59 Galaxie in a Figure-8 race and nothing happening...

...the car was on its roof at the time! :eek:

4. Pro wrestling at the Olympic Auditorium. I remember when a guy named Mark Lewin (at the time, around '64 I think, a 'good guy') got knocked on the head and became Crazy Mark Lewin. When I moved to NZ in 1981 I discovered the guy was still wrestling - over here!

Wrestling hasn't been the same since Freddie Blassie left the square circle.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

6. wheeliE-maxx

wheeliE-maxx
    from Texas

I remember gas being affordable.. And I'm 17. If we don't turn things around people will look back on 2010 as the "good old days"

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Of course they will....that's the way the human mind operates...

You ought to go to Europe where the prices are double or triple what we have always paid...then you'll really have something to whine about.

You're young...you're having your "good old days"...this is them, enjoy....

seriously....enjoy them

8. wheeliE-maxx

wheeliE-maxx
    from Texas

I am and have been to the uk. Atleast they have decent baby diesels and are more bike friendly. Just as a gearhead it seems that the old days were better

9. I'd say, just different. Go back 40 years and I thought the old guys who built rods in the 1930s-'50s had it better than I did, but they faced the Great Depression, WWII, the Korean War, etc.

Looking back across the decades (and I'm old enough to do so), I had some great times, some pretty bad times, but the here and now is, in many ways, a lot better. I'm doing stuff now that wasn't possible to do when I was a kid.

Just get out and enjoy living, and as my late mother would say, experience each stage of your life like a new chapter in a book. :cool:

10. crewchief888

crewchief888
    from NW indiana

thats no sh*t !

as mentioned before WLS AM radio
    watching dad working on his 59 plymouth
    playing baseball all day long during the summer, racing home to get cleaned up for dinner, and playing catch with my dad in the yard till it got dark.
    walking a mile or so in the snow carrying my hockey skates and stick to play in the flooded field next to the church, staying there till i couldnt feel my feet or hands anymore, walking back home, warming up and going back again and again.

so many memories. :(

11. rustbucketcb

rustbucketcb
    from Joplin, MO

Wow...Of course I really havnt lived through any of this, but...I wish I could have been a part of that life time, and you guys are making it all the harder!! Of course the cars, but everything else to go along with it..the lifestyle, the security. I have a little mechanic on the way myself, and Id do anything to be able to have him grow up with that safe/happy feeling.
    These stories are the best guys...keep it up!

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

...no aches and pains, your whole life ahead of you... greet each day with a smile and a plan...enjoy your youth...it slips by pretty darned fast....

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

You'll be fine. You can provide the little one with much of what we took for granted.
    Teach him to respect elders, the police, teachers, etc.
    To say "thank you" and "please", not because its polite so much, but because they, in their heart, really mean it.
    You are the head chef in the kitchen of their minds. They will eat up all that you serve them. Just make it positive, helpful and kind.
    The "little mechanic" will act as you do, so tread thoughfully with your deeds and attitude.
    You may bring all the goodness that we enjoyed in our "day" all the way to your tomorrows.
    The goodness, ethics and morals of my youth didn't disappear.
    All of it is there, all for the taking...just make them yours. Then share.
    You'll be fine.

14. badshifter

badshifter

I remember buying car models and paint at the local 7-11, flying a Testors U Control PT 19 through the back window of my moms 62 Chevy II Wagon, Running a Tecumesh 7 Horse minibike into my neighbors trailer, and chopping my first Model A with a hacksaw and Bernzomatic Solid Pellet fired brazing torch..... Oh, and buying Metalflake Krylon Purple, Green, Gold and all the cool colors from Builders Emporium.

15. calvinh

calvinh

....The Alyssa Milano poster on my wall. All you can eat pancakes for $1 on Saturday mornings. Learning how to drive in my dad's '69 Camaro when I was 7. The first time I was pulled over by a cop. Trick or treating with my friends. Born in 75 I grew up in the 80s and 90s in the beginning of what the world has turned into today. It seems like everything really changed in the 80s. We grew up with more drug use, rise in crime, more greed, and what seems to me a loss in American values. One of my best friends from the time we were in grade school lost his wife and his son is in critical condition in the hospital when they were hit by a drunk driver yesterday 3 blocks from their home. His son graduated saturday afternoon. being with him and several other of our childhood friends today made me realize that they are what I remember most about growing up. We lost friends to suicide and drugs, Iraq, accidents. We've lost loved ones, parents, spouses, and children. We lost our innocence together. But that group of guys that was there today have been with each other through it all. First loves and divorces. Businesses that were successful and some that weren't. I love those guys like brothers. Every one of them. Every cool toy or baseball game or trip to the races has one of those guys connected to the memory. My heart aches for my friends and his family who have always treated me like I was as much apart of them as anyone. But I wouldn't trade the times good or bad as it was today that I have shared with them for nothing in the world. I also realized today that even at 34 years old I am still growing up. I am still learning to deal with my emotions and walking in to the hospital today and seeing everyone I felt safe and scared and compasionate and helpless. I was 12 years old again when another of us had just experienced a loss and we were all in that same waiting room together. I'm sorry if this is long winded or a downer to anyone. Its not meant to be. Just my way of getting it out and making sense of it.

16. ... walking to school - there was no school bus (Catholic school).

...the taste of soap (again, Catholic school).

...menus sans dietary information, and food packages without it, either. Funny thing; there weren't as many fat people back then (yeah, unfortunately, that includes me).

...listening to limited hydros in N. Seattle (on Green Lake?); the sound would come up over Phinney ridge. Seeing piston-powered unlimiteds on Lake Washington.

...speaking of Washington, it was abbreviated "Wash.", not WA.

...keggers in the parks.

...when making out with a girl was a big deal.

...buying Marlboros at 14 from the store near school. And I looked about as close to eighteen as a third grader!

^^^Quoted For Truth!^^^

For Seattleites: Julius Pierpont Patches, Gertrude, birthday gifts in the dryer, and the ICUTV.

So far made it thru about umpteen pages; absolutely loving this thread. Funny how I still feel like a young guy (well, as long as my back, hips, knees, feet, and shoulder aren't hurting) - until I start back on this thread, and realize how much has changed.

-Bill

17. rustbucketcb

rustbucketcb
    from Joplin, MO

Thank you to Mazooma1!
    ..that actualy means a lot.

18. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

Tying a balloon to your bike frame and getting the spokes to rub on the balloon to sound like a motorcycle.

Falling asleep in the back of the stationwagon at the drive-in when we were 7 years old.

19. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

This can't be right because 3 window NEVER grew up. JMHO.

20. wheeliE-maxx

wheeliE-maxx
    from Texas

Eh, genetics, football, motocross, and working on stuff has sadly already taken it's toll. Though I get that now is the best that it will be. As I said before, I don't worry about the past much and try to make the most of now

21. Maybe someone can help me here; wasn't there a "White Front" in Seattle on HWY 99 @ 130th?

Oh, and I do remember Pay 'n' Pak (high school girl friend's brother in law did graphic design for their ads), and Ernst (with their overpriced dog-crap fasteners and Malmo nursery).

Oh, and gas stations with garages... and no 'energy drinks' in sight.

-Bill

22. firingorder1

firingorder1

Ain't that the truth! I'm 2 for 4 with that quote. I still have my whole life ahead of me and I greet each day with a smile (plan is optional). When I started driving and riding in 1960 I couldn't imagine 2010. But so far its pretty cool.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Zane McNary photo.

23. The fact that you're with the rest of us and doing what you do is the coolest thing, Bro. We're all dead a long time when we finally get there... :eek:

24. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

I remember the old race track in Dover NH and playing board games, toy trucks made from pressed steel,& learning G C D7 on my 95.00 Gibson guitar.

Attached Files:

• dover nh.jpg
      dover nh.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      208 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      249.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      151.3 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      144.4 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      388.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  25. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Ahhh, lawn darts. Knowing that if there were 2 boys and a set of lawn darts, a game of chicken wold soon begin.....

My kids are still playing with my lincoln logs, which I inherited from my mom, aunt and uncle, left at grandma's house.

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

at least a couple of times a month, someone would dump a box of soap into the local fountain....they still do to this day...

[​IMG]

27. 31whitey

31whitey

My Yz 80.....
    [​IMG]

Mullets...

Spanjans....

Un laced PONY high tops....

Half shirts with the BIG holes....

Handjobs...

Marlboro lite 100's...

OZZY...

Man what I wouldnt do to be 13 years old again.....

28. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

cartoons after school.saturday morning cartoons.
    after school specials.
    gas wars
    the smell of my dads bodyshop.
    turning in pop bottles
    american band stand
    S&H greenstamps
    when MTV played videos
    going to the cock fights with my great grandpa
    going to super shops
    keeping tapes and cassettes under the seat so they dont get messed up in the sun
    when a girl (got in trouble and left school)
    beer cans had pull tabs that would cut you BAD!
    well water
    salvages full of old cars

29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...and I never will Bob.

kidcampbell71 likes this.