Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grinding Starter ??'s....DAMNED THING!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spooky, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Spooky

Spooky

Howza Bruthas,
    So I am having more probs with my Econoline pick up. Dig this, When I go to start the thing there is a huge drain of power, I mean the gauge is buried in the red, a strange grinding noise followed by a whine. This happens a few times then the thing fires up. I have pulled the starter and had it tested. It is fine. I replaced the power cable (which had melted the rubberized coating off of it!!), and it still does it. So, is it a solenoid gone south? Is there a ground issue?
    What the heck is going on??!!
    Halp!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. candyman

candyman

Sounds like a grounding issue spook. I had a similar problem with an el camino. Turned out to be a grounded battery cable.

3. Spooky

Spooky

So any ideas how to cure it? My Pops said it could still be the starter. Claims that under load it will not wanna work, but on the tester with no load all is swell. So if it is grounding, how do I cure it?
    By the way, the Halloween Party at the Spookhouse is on, baby..

4. candyman

candyman

Well spooky... I have no idea where it is grounding... if it isn't your battery cables or battery... I would check things like the regulator, solenoid/relay switch. Make sure you have a good battery as well. If it isn't throwing out enough cranking amps it can cause the starter solenoid to not throw properly. Take the battery to sears fully charged and have em load test it. Your battery might read full volts but be a big turd with low amps. Just a couple of ideas spooky...

The party... as you know we are due with junior that week. We really want to go... but we have no idea when he will decide it's his birthday. If he comes early and all is well we are planning on making the trip with an axle in the trunk brutha... late