Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Grill shell help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buck28, May 23, 2018.

1. Buck28

Buck28

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg i have a peculiar roadster I'm building. The front half is a 26 & back half is a 28. I measured & I'm ready to buy a 22" radiator (budget aluminum one) but I'm stuck on which grill shell. I can shorten a 30-31 I have but does anyone else have an idea that might be more unique? The black primer is most recent pic. The cowl has been fixed, stainless Stanchions will hold the windshield but I'd love thoughts on a grill shell. The radiator is only 22" so that it doesn't go higher than the cowl.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

What’s wrong with a T one?

3. Buck28

Buck28

image.jpeg
    I don't really care for the T shell. This is the 30/31 I would modify to fit. I like it or a 32 but those are pretty common. The one I have is free though :)

dana barlow likes this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

If you are building an unique hot rod than you definitely don't want a 32. Try looking for a 1920's Buick , Pontiac or Olds from that era.

Buck28 likes this.

5. bct

bct

if you are using the T windshield and stanchions? I like the way the shell you have emulates the curves on the outer corners of the windshield . model A shells look right at home on a T roadster cowl.

Buck28 and dana barlow like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think that the A shell would look just right on that. Someone was showing a photo of their grill shell the other day somewhere on the net and they used a piece of that plastic difusser that they use or florescent lights that is a eggcrate grid and painted it flat black to hid the aluminum radiator.

Buck28 likes this.
  7. redo32

redo32

With the mix and match body I would go with a T or '29 Model A painted. It's been done before, but a '32 rarely looks out of place on an early Ford. Think of Kookie Kar. A carefully shaped and proportioned track nose would look good too.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Buck28 likes this.
  8. rudestude

rudestude

If you were going to go with a Model A shell, this is only my opinion and not telling you what you should or shouldn't do, I would use a 28-29 shell it's shorter ,squatier, and the sides are not so straight up and down it would blend with your body better ... I think anyways ...plus at 22" your going to have to shorten any of them ....here is a hot of a 27 Buick of mine and a Nash ..the Nash one is more of a smooth rounded look and it would probably look good with your body...but if the you have was free and that's what your looking for ,free, then your probably going to be going with the one you have anyway..... 20160531_194214.jpg IMG_20180320_144043.jpg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Buck28 likes this.
  9. That A grille shell looks to good to cut and shorten. Most found these days are cracked/torn in the lower L&R inner corners . Find another , even if you have to pay $20.00 . Yours looks so good, , just a shame to cut.

Buck28 likes this.
  10. 34Phil

34Phil

11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I agree that the shell you have looks too nice to cut. Sell it to a Model A guy who needs one and take the cash to buy something else. Plus I personally don't think 30-31's look very good shortened.
    I'd go with a chrome T shell myself. They are so underused they are stand out more than you'd think.

WTF really, Buck28 and redo32 like this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

If it were me,I'd use what I have,by just cleanly cut the sides and slid the bottom up in side the top 1/2,a few Stainless small panheads can hold it together fine/no need to mess up the nice shine{ I really love shiny.
    Or; trade off the great "A" shell for some $,an pick up one with a crack for much less.
    My own bobtailed hotrod has a 28A cut down,rad is 24in. high
    srufsideshowA.jpg

Buck28 and redo32 like this.