Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gremlins,not the car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I work on my cars by myself 99% of the time....and I swear, I can lay a tool down as I'm working in some perplexing angle, underneath one of them, and find the tools I just had, under the OTHER CAR!!!....I'm still fuming about my new packages of shop gloves I'm constantly buying, because they've disappeared into some 3rd-dimension! There has definitely got to be 'somethin' lurking around my tools & parts shelves, 'cause I find the odd tool hiding behind boxes or in a drawer in my garage, which ''I did not put there"....I find mumbling helps a lot....alas, the gremlins are mightier than I:(o_O----- Ray

mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Don't feel bad, I caught my self putting the milk in the pantry the other day.lol.Bruce,

tb33anda3rd, HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes the other half knows you better than you know yourself...;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. ME TOO. lol. Bruce.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. And the kids say, Hey DAD, why do you drink so much. lol. Bruce.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

Not only car parts, do you remember us looking in the car and all over the kitchen for that head of lettuce last summer for the cookout?
    How it got in the freezer I will never know.

mad mikey, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Working on the tractor theother day ( don't stress...it's a 1944 Ford 2N tractor. It's the "late model" in the garage right now ). Dropped a socket, watched it bounce twice and disappear. Crawled all under and around the tractor. No socket. Finished up, and moved the tractor backwards about three feet. There was the socket, laying in the middle of the floor. Right where I was looking.

Truck64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Yep tools & some parts are bad BUT SPRINGS must have super gremlins. I'm talkin about them little springs that jump & are outa here never to be found again. I can even watch them go but cannot ever find them once they go under the bench or stool or car.
    I had a rollup tool pouch with pockets for all the wrenches that Peggy made for me. It was to be used only for trips & kept in the car. I looked in every car & every conceivable area that the little buggers could hide it & couldn't find it. Then I cussed out every person that I could remember coming into the shop for borrowing it without my permission. I never lend out anything . After tree or fours years I was getting the 57 bird ready to sell & removed the spare tire!!!!!~ What day I felt like I had hit the lottery. Deep in the bottom of the tire well was my tool pouch. Boy you can't imagine my happiness.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This will help us keep an eye out for those buggers...

Gremlin-mirror.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  10. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

^^^HAHAHA ^^^....I think I'd need 3 or 4 of those little doo-hickey mirrors at all angles to be on guard of gremlins!.....then need goggles to keep from poking my eyes out!:confused:....like the idea!--- Ray

Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. I think I would be so busy looking behind me, I might walk smooth into whatever is in front of me! :)

HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it would actually be aimed right at my face because I'm generally the guilty one...but yeah safety hazard. Then we'd be bitching about two things losing it and wacking our head...:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Good point!

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gremlins been around me since I was a kid...That said today I looked for a Voltage Regulator that I had in my hand last week; I would think that I would have put it back where it was cause I listed it for sale...Sale fell through cause I can't find the f'in thing!

Stogy likes this.
  15. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

I think my 13 yr old son is my gremlin ,when ever he enters the garage stuff always goes missing .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Got one of those down the street. I drive around the block to get home incase something from it jumps on my car like a bed bug.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

What gets me is that whatever you lose is usually later found in plain open sight. I had a NOS Sun Super tach I bought off of eBay to use in another car I had. When I went looking for it, it was nowhere to be found. I ended up buying a used one to use. A year after I had gotten rid of the car, opened up one of my cabinet doors and what did I see in plain open sight? Yep, my NOS Sun tach! I had been into that cabinet door hundreds of times and never saw it, it was sitting right there. Bad thing was I had put it there so I would remember where I put it!

18. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

a couple weeks ago I was under the dash doing something and dropped a little part to a lock set. I searched and searched and searched some more. It finally turned up about 2 weeks later in the pocket of my coveralls. Dropped right in and was with me the whole time.

HOTRODPRIMER, Stogy and mad mikey like this.
  19. This guy I have a problem with. Stay out of my shop, you were not invited!!!!! images (11).jpg

20. wicarnut

wicarnut

Agree w/ DDDenny, miss my mind, but maybe it's gremlins that keep hiding stuff from me, drives me NUTS, have to add 25% time factor for any project I do,very grateful and thankful to have made it to this age, will say everything sure is a project nowadays, positive is, still having fun playing w/ cars.

21. Several years ago I bought a antique pine church bench and not having a place to put it at the time I dissembled it,this thing was 12 foot long and was made from 2" thick boards.

All the nuts,bolts and lag screws were heavy hand made pieces and can't be replaced so I knew I had to put them in a safe place.

When ladyhrp move here flower shop to a new location she wanted the bench for a display and I started looking for the hardware,she has been in her new location over a year and I still haven't found the hardware and have tried to find something that would work,the wooden lags I can find are no where near the sizes in need.

I just wish the gremlins would bring that bag of hardware back. HRP

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

If you run across my Ranchwagon emblems, let me know. I'm working on the theory that the gremlins
    bring the stuff to other like minded folks....I've looked everywhere... I was sure I found them , but when I opened the box they said "NEW YORKER" I haven't had that car for over 3 years!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Those garage gremlins seem to leave your stuff where you will find it latter,,,My gremlins live in my dryer and exists on socks,,never to be seen again

24. Your dryer gremlin's cousin lives in mine,thats why I buy all my socks the same color now.

I think I'm down to 5 socks,3 if you don't count my religious socks. :D HRP

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. Ha Ha Danny,,same here,,,same color socks for last 30 years.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

maybe need surveillance cameras. recent past had a car hauled. young tow truck guy said that his parents are car "hoarders". had a call from a body shop that they had taken a car to over a year before for work. shop owner called to ask them to pick up their car since it had been finished a long time ago. they had forgot that they took their '67 Mustang fastback to in for work.

Truck64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. metal man

metal man

I am constantly misplacing sharpies and welding gloves. Why those two things, I can't tell you, but at least once a week one of those things goes missing.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. The gremlins have haunted me my entire life, currently they have the brand new in the box linkage kit for the dual quad set up for my 51, been looking for weeks for it. cant find it but found some seat belts from a 67 rambler I had collected and then the gremlins took when I was in high school. Haven't seen them in almost 20 years!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. I'm with you on this one,how can we lose just one welding glove? HRP

30. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I am going to describe isn't exactly Gremlins:) I too have things go missing but I have another explanation for it.
    About 10 years ago a high school friend of mine lost his son, David to cancer. David was the same age as my oldest daughter and they graduated from high school together. David was in his mid 30's when he passed and he had blamed me for his love of tinkering with cars, both old and new because he had visited my garage as an adolescent when I was working on my 38 Chevy and I never ran him off, I have no memory of it but glad his perception was that I treated him well.

David was kind of a tease and would move things around just to play games with his parents, well his family and I know that HE is the one moving our tools and fasteners and who knows what else. That's his way of making sure we don't forget him!