Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Great old Engine Names and other trivia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wsdad, Feb 12, 2015.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I think they were officially called "Turbo Thrust" but aside from the "W" (didn't we have a President named "W"?) I've also heard them referred to as Four-Oh-Nine, Boat Anchor, and Prehistoric Rat.
    Small blocks were officially "Turbo Fire" but I've always liked "Mouse Motor" and the Big Blocks were officially known as "Turbo Jet" a.k.a "Rat Motor"
    And as far as the chevy "6", most people refer to all of them as "Blue Flame" but say for example in 1953, there were two Chevy "6" and one was called "Blue Flame" and the other "Thrift-King"

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

How about the Willys GO DEVIL with not much go, and the blistering fast Kaiser SUPER SONIC.

3. "Humber Super Snipe" has got to be near the top in any automotive trivia list

4. That president's name was Dubbya not W. :)

I think all of us have pet names for engines and some of them have stuck like rat and mouse for instance of Banned for any MOPAR in the 426" category.

There were a few companies that named their Engines something in the Golden category, although I cannot for the life of me remember any of the rest of the names other then the golden part.

5. 327Eric

327Eric

Studebaker super hurricane six,, Chrysler Golden Lion 383

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. 327Eric

327Eric

Got the super Hurricane wrong, it was a 226 continental, Kaiser or Willys. Studebaker had the Bearcat and Passmaster v-8s

8. GRX

GRX
    from MD

Indeed.
    ss.jpg

9. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

The Chevy "W" motors were Turbo Thrust and Super Turbo Thrust. I don't remember which HP ranges those applied to. I just remember my dad had a 61 bubble top Bel Air with the STT version. 3x2, solid lifter, dual point and 4 speed.

10. The Ford Y Blocks: Thunderbird Special & Police Interceptor.

11. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

12. BR-549, not BR5-49 was the original correct spelling. The original designation was for the 549 engine manufactured for the International farm pickup truck. The engine's huge cylinders used smaller pistons and thus the engine was designed to use wide piston rings, or "Broad rings". Thus, the engine was the "broad ring 549", or BR-549. The engine was instantly popular with farmers due to the huge displacement and horsepower. Internationals patented "Broad Ring" design allowed for intensely high compression in the cylinders. Unfortunately it had a tendency to overheat due to the fact that the cooling system was too small to cool the big-block engine. International stopped production after a few years as the BR-549 fell out of favor with farmers due to the overheating issue. You might say the "BR-549" was International's Edsel.

Maverick Daddy and 55Caddy62 like this.
  13. Nobey

Nobey

Hudson Hornet.....

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Nash LeMans Super Jet Fire.

This was a special performance version of the Nash Ambassador six cylinder engine that raced at LeMans in the early fifties and finished in the money.

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I must have been thinking of the biopic about "Dubbya" called "W":D and speaking of the 426 Hemi, they were called "Elephant Motors", if I recall correctly.

16. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Falcon Super pursuit.

17. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

MERCURY LIQUAMATIC (1942)

18. trh351

trh351
    from Kansas

Wow, you mean there was more to Hee-Haw's Junior Samples auto sales BR-549 phone number? The things we learn.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

When I was a kid, I borrowed the 1954-63 Chiltons repair manual from my neighbor, and read all the tech specs of the engines for all those neat cars. They listed some of the names.

Wildcat
    Eldorado Q
    Turbo Thrust
    Fire Power
    Spitfire
    Power Pak
    Firedome
    Fireflite
    Firesweep
    Interceptor
    T Bird Special V8
    Commando
    Golden Hawk V8
    Tornado

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. GRX

GRX
    from MD

Wait ... somebody say Iron Duke? ;)

id.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Sweepstake 289, from the supercharged Studebaker Golden Hawk

22. Paying attention!:cool:

23. IMG_2339.JPG
    I just call mine, "Henrietta".

24. And power slip oh I don't think that was an official factory name. :oops: :D

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  25. In Australia GM had a famous inline 6 which they imaginatively called the "red motor"- because it was red. It was preceded by the "grey" motor, and superceded by the "blue" and then the "black" motor.
    I think the next one they make will be called the "polka dot 6".

26. RmK57

RmK57

Boss 302, 351, 429.

27. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

28. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

My old 1963 scouts 2.5 litre "COMANCHE" ........ 152 cubic inches of raw IH horsepower! .........Well , not that raw. image.jpg
    But maybe raw hp from the perspective of my daughter's shihtzu. Top speed 45-50 mph. Flux

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    jadegrenade 51 and volvobrynk like this.
  29. pdq67

pdq67

How about this?? A Buddy of mine had one back then. it was a MEL designed engine.

pdq67

"1958 Mercury 430 Super Marauder 400-hp V-8"

volvobrynk likes this.