Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Graphic Design Question For the Experts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick79, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Question for the graphic design experts....

What kind of printer and masking film do you need to cut out sticky back stencils for painting? No color printing, just cut out stencils like text, etc.

I've seen painters do this on things like motorcycle gas tanks. Design some text or an image, print it out, stick it on the tank, paint it, peel it off. Or use the negative sticker to do things like gold leaf.

I'm probably using the wrong terms, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to do.

What kind of tools are they using to do these stencils?

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
    Nick

2. akreone

akreone
    from SLC 801

Not sure of any printer that can do this. I use a Roland vinyl die cutter. Looks like a big printer but has a cutting tip, no ink. They make machines that are as small as 8" up to 50"+ this is what all the sign shops use. There are lots of different vinyl companies that make stencil mask, like oracles oramask 813 stencil film. Hope that helps

3. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Yeah, I didn't know if they called them printers or plotters or something else. Thanks for the info on the machines and mask.

Nick

4. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Gerber Edge.

Cris

5. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I use a vinyl called CalMask ,it's made to paint over ,and is easy to remove. good luck !

6. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

All of the above. ^^^

find a good "cool" sign shop. My buddy runs 2 Mimaki JV4's in his. Just hang out and make sure your art is something he can work with. EPS or any vector art will be best,

7. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Thanks guys!