Register now to get rid of these ads!

Granny trannys & home made intakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Notorious, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Notorious

Notorious

Okay, although I've always preferred traditional hot rods, I was originally going to use an electronic SBC in my A. But depending on your point of view, y'all have either inspired me, or shamed me into not making this compromise. I'm still on the fence on whether this place is a good or bad influence on me. :D Anyhow, I've got a chance to buy a pretty decent '61 Ford pick-up w/ a 292 and a creeper 4-speed w/ the intention of robbing the engine and trans for my A. I'm thinking this would allow me to run a gear that could net some nice highway mileage.
    On a side note, due to the Y-block having a valley cover, I see no reason as to why I couldn't build my own multi-carb intake for it quite easily and utilize the readily available Rochesters, saving me a nice pile of Franklins that could be used elsewhere. I don't need for this car to be a world-beater, just a fun cruiser with the right "look." If I want to pucker my asshole, I'll still have my 450 horse Vette. ;)
    Thanks in advance for any (useful) comments and ideas.

2. I've always liked the idea of intakes over a valley pan since you did't have to worry about water passages or vacuum problems. Got a 324 Olds here as well.

I'm picking up a 292 & PU stick trans this week just for the possibilities.

Still thinking of alternatives fo my Latham that has all of the Y-Block fittings but currently I've adapted a SBC aluminum manifold.