Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Dennis I will be in Bonneville next year. Hell I have to go just to learn how to spell it. We have the rpm nationals 1/8 mile drag races next month 20 mins away from the farm. I hope they pick me as one to race if not me and grandpa will still have loads of fun. And in nov. We will be going to el mirage for the last races of the year. Hop on a plane. Oct 28 hop up rpm nationals. Couch is all yours.

2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Glad to see Elmer back in saddle again .
    Great job guys!!!!!!!!

3. Hey Bruce - great fricking stuff! We should have the FlatCad ready to race again at BVille for 2018 - so come on out, crew with us and have some fun. And PLEASE bring Elmer!

Take care Bro,
    B&S

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@paintslinger805 Yah gotter on dah road cooweeell...;)...see yah got rid of that flammin dash thingy and it all fell into place...:D

5. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

That's so cool! The thoughts and memories that must have been going through your grandpa's mind while you two were riding together!

6. Yes I think he loves it. I'm sure it is really "unreal" for him to see 70 years go by and then be back to his hotrod youth playing with this car. Thank you
    hell ya dale that would be one hell of an adventure. I would love to do that. I will be there

loudbang likes this.
  7. Yea she's a runner that's for sure. It would not be what it is without the hambs help. Dale bored&stroked sure is one hell of a teacher. Thank you dale. I will have to take my grandpa with me to speed week that's for sure

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 85,--- Always tried to research where my roadster had been, the body resembles many of the pix you have posted, when I bought it in 1962, it had the traditional '39 taillights in rear panel along with 4 bolt holes for a license plate, radio ariel holes in the drivers side, side mount cowl lights leaded in, vent in cowl leaded in, shaved door handles, dash gutted out, no seat, floor cut out for a large hydro unit, 2 large roll bar mounts welded in trunk, when stripping down to bare metal, colors went from primer, light brown, yellow, red, to original Ford dark green.
    I'm positive my roadster was a veteran of the lakes when I was in Hi-School 1946-1950,-----Don

loudbang, volvobrynk, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  9. Wilds31Flattie

Wilds31Flattie

Slinger, beautiful story and one "hot" rod. Have kept up with your thread since TROG. Glad you are making the most of it with Grandpa. Maybe I'll get a chance to see your car in person and meet you as I'm just up the grade from you.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  10. Thank you and if you just up the grade in north county make sure you go the the Santa margarita ranch oct. 28 for the hop up rpm nationals. Early 1/8 mile drag races. 25 buck ticket but will be worth it.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Hey don, this body has a perfect original floor. No shaved door handles and no lead on the cowl. It would be neat to find your old hotrod. I wish we could find my grandpas original one.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

No need to worry about finding the one from the past, Elmer and you are making new memories in this one and these are days that you'll both cherish;). You've stuck to the program and he's having a ball.
    You've added a goal to his existence and every time that he's ridden with you or I and even driven, he becomes 17 all over again.
    When we were just having a cruise in the Waske Effect 29, IMG_1190.PNG He said faster!!!! I had to remind him that we didn't have brakes yet, but we did have power.
    He replied"that's all we needed!!!!!" I got such a laugh out if that!!!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    loudbang, brEad and Tim like this.
  13. I just gotta say, I spent about an hour and a half reading this and am totally inspired! I'm over in Lompoc, would you be interested in having a small video shoot done of the roadster? let me know! Would be cool to meet some local HAMB'ers in the area!

loudbang, brEad, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  14. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Just came across this thread. What a great adventure! Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and paintslinger805 like this.
  15. Videos are cool anytime you want to just let me know. I pm you my phone number.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Your welcome I hope everyone enjoys it. It's been one hell of a ride. From day one to even finding a real original roadster body for cheap. As the wife says everything happens for a reason and it your destiny to do the things we do.

17. So cool to see ya are still chasing the dream Bruce & all is well with Elmer. Been a fun summer for me & the 3 window.

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. DAM! Bruce, I would love to come out and watch you and Elmer blow the wheels off that kick ass roadster of yours, just not sure I can make it work on this end. I am working on getting my shit together to come out for the grand national show, but not sure if I can pull it off or not. I will let you know if I do. The Bones boys are going to have a big set up in I think building 4 along with Mike from the dirt drags and hill climb events. Should be a fun time.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. image.jpg Marking my territory...

Pufff, Stogy, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haa!----Need more "Egg Keep".

loudbang likes this.
  21. Lol I had skip down in Florida rebuild my water pumps with his big fans. It pumps so hard it pushes water out of the over flow tube. There's no leaks I just need a catch tank.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  22. image.jpg Looks like me and grandpa are going racing.... I have to thank hop up magazine for making this dream come alive. @Bored&Stroked I need you on my pit crew!!!!! . Hop up on a plane and fly out to the Wild West. Dennis bring your 3w out for a fun filled weekend.

clunker, Stogy, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Congrats!!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Pretty cool stuff in this thread. Congrats!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Now that is so dam cool .......Sure wish I could make it out as I talked to The guys at the Hill Climb about this and they said it was going to be the cats ass for sure.
    Have fun and take some photos for us to see.

26. Thank you

27. Thank you

28. Sounds like a great time; keep the pedal down and make that old flathead sing.

loudbang likes this.
  29. I have followed this from the beginning. I don't post much as I haven't had much to contribute. I would like to say thanks for sharing your build, your great attitude about life, and your story. It has been fun watching Elmer reconnect with his youth.

loudbang likes this.