Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. History here at el mirage. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Car 370b driven by elmer omohundro and 265b driven by Clem waske.

2. HOT DAM! Pay - dirt at long last.....This is so cool to see....My bet is Elmer will dream about days long ago tonight......
    Thanks Bruce for these photos......I am sure Elmer is so proud of you for all your hard work to make this happen.....You Rock dude!

3. Rotten

Rotten

Bruce, how many times have we all said to our selves I wish I was 18 again or if you could relive a certain time in your life knowing full well that we only get 1 chance. Well, looking at the pictures of your grandfather sitting in a 32 once again at the dry lakes just like so many years ago made me think of what you actually did. Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

.....been reading this thread since it started. So glad I got to witness this kind of finish. Awesome!

5. This is so unbelievably cool man. Be proud of what you did for your grandpa. Your hard work and dedication seriously paid off today!

6. Ok so now I'm home and now I can talk some about the day. I can drive and post pictures but can't say to much while driving. Cyclone Kevin brought out the 265b waske roadster and we both drove our cars for the first time on the holy grounds of el mirage California. Both cars were not ready yet to drive but you know how it gos when your in the moment. Kevin's cars was more ready than mine. I had the plans of bringing everything to get the car just to be able to cruse around out there. Work on it until we could drive it just like they did back in the day out there if they broke something or whatever. I forgot throttle springs to bring it back to idle, that I only got it idle once. Also forgot the linkage from the gas pedal to carb. Kevin took off his throttle linkage and put it on the hypersonic special. So me and grandpa drove it for about 30 seconds or so and the throttle stuck open and I shut her down. After that we pushed it back and worked on the carbs. Grandpa and I tried a few things and they are basically junk. I could move each idle mixture screw in all the way and back it out all the way and it made no difference. The seats on the needles were whooped. I put new jets in them but over looked those. So we will figure it out and be back out there for the next races. I will have it 100% done and running tip top so we can get out there and really open her up. Kevin gave grandpa a ride in the waske effect. It was a bitchin day even with the set backs. The pictures make it look really good but I don't want to tell fibs. Grandpa is gonna do some investigating and we will be back out for the next run. I will post pictures and put some video on YouTube. I'm going to try to follow Steffens advise. He made it look pretty easy. Thank you steffen

Squablow, brEad, slv63 and 4 others like this.
  7. image.jpg Do you like my altered wheel base 32???

8. Grandpa and Kevin in the 265b image.jpg image.jpg

chryslerfan55, Pufff, 63fdsnr and 5 others like this.
  9. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Paparazzi. Grandpa is a celebrity!!!!!!!!

Stogy, chryslerfan55, Pufff and 7 others like this.
  10. Next time when it's running right I want grandpa to drive it so he can feel his ol hotrod once again. Out playing on the dry lake some 67 years later then the last time he went hypersonic!!!!!!!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  11. And to top it off this was the very first time I ever drove a flathead powered car let alone a 32 roadster and I had grandpa right there riding shotgun and also to tip top it off with cherrys ontop it was a el mirage. Even only 30 seconds it was still the most badass achievement. Little over a year to dream, build, and see it on the dry lake with grandpa. Time for a big beer!!!!

12. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Grandpa wears that helmet really good. Next time out maybe I will dress the car up in his 390 number.

Stogy, chryslerfan55, Pufff and 8 others like this.
  13. Some back pictures for looks. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

14. image.jpg image.jpg Grandpa and his four generations of up and coming hotrodders. image.jpg image.jpg

15. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Magic Happens.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations @paintslinger805 on the journey you have embarked on. You have reached a major milestone in a timely manner I mean Hypersonically. Fun times. I know there are many more milestones to come but this is a big one. Thanks for sharing the moments. I can hear the Yippees from here...;)

loudbang likes this.
  17. Hey Bruce . . . awesome post! Just that fact that you and Gramps got to take even a little maiden voyage - how cool is that shit! Now you will be more motivated than ever to get the final last details completed. Ping me on your carbs - be happy to help out if you need any help. D

loudbang likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Havnt caught up with the latest developments but I checked in because I saw hypersonic posted on roadkills instagram!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

All I care about is what Elmer had to say about it all.
    Even the least emotional fella would have to be moved by such a moment in his life.

loudbang and paintslinger805 like this.
  20. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

21. I'm now on Instagram my user name is paintslinger805. Or find it under the
    #hypersonicspecial
    I will get lots of pics and video on there real soon

Tim likes this.
  22. image.jpg
    Wyatt my son and wife just told me that the very first thing grandpa said when he sat in the car was
    "Get me to that line"
    He was ready to run er

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Stogy, Pufff, 383deuce and 3 others like this.
  23. image.jpg Here's a shot my wife took

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

25. Just sitting and staring at the dust on the hypersonic and thinking wow!!!!
    I did it. All I can do is :D:D
    And one for the haters:p:p
    Ok maybe two!!!

drylakespeedshop, brEad, Tim and 2 others like this.
  26. image.jpg Here's my son at the same age As grandpa was driving out to race the lakes

heavydumper, Pufff, kiwijeff and 8 others like this.
  27. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

I lost track of this thread as the e-mail notifications stopped and I didn't want to look in case the project had come to a halt. I should have had more faith! Hypersonic turned up on my Instagram thread at El Mirage and I found the thread again. It really made my day to see you and your Grandpa (and assorted grandchildren) all out in the roadster. Well done to all.

28. I really dig this photo...Take the trailers (campers) out of the photo and it could very well be 1947

slv63 likes this.
  29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Her ya go Dennis, IMG_1428.PNG

heavydumper, Texas36, Pufff and 3 others like this.