Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. image.jpg Well hell since grandpas name is ELMER maybe I will just have to buy a set of Elmer's fiction shocks...

2. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

I used 33/34 arms on early Houdailles. I had to heat the arms and bend them to clear - very easy to do.

loudbang and paintslinger805 like this.
  3. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Those are my favorite shocks, had they been available before I bought my rotoflos I would have ran them for sure.

Sent from my SM-N920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  4. image.jpg
    When the car is on the ground the shock arm are straight with the frame so I'm just gonna hear the arm and bend them back some to get the bones more straight up and down. I also have 32 dog bones and that it why I thought maybe I could just get some 32 arms. I have heard that 31 A model fords are the best shock to use on a 32. Has anyone else heard this???

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  5. You might consider putting a filter in the glass bowl - keeps the crap out of your carbs!

6. There should be a little screen in there huh? I think I have a old fuel pump with a screen in the bowl. Dale do you have a picture of what one looks like?

7. It is a little WIX filter and a spring - like this (you can see it in the fuel pump in the background). Lots of guys don't use them, but I like to keep any rust or other crap out of the carbs (as most of these old tanks have some crap in them - even AFTER steam cleaning).

2015-11-07 14.01.53 copy.jpg

8. I might have a spare filter - will check in the shop, then I'd have a part number. I believe I got the spring and filter from C&G Ford Parts (I like those guys).

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    paintslinger805 and loudbang like this.
  9. Last time grandpa was up at my house we looked inside the gas tank. We didn't like all the rust inside of it so he bought a brand new gas tank for the car. It's a vintique. Original size and an adaptor to run the stock sending unit pick up. So new tank, new lines. I thought about putting the sock type filter on the pick up inside the tank.

loudbang likes this.
  10. I like c&g too. It takes one day to get the parts from them. Good guys

Cyclone Kevin likes this.

11. Dam! Bruce, Gramps is the cat ass...getting you a new tank is so cool of him. I am thinking he sure does want you to get this hot rod on the road, and that is good.

12. Get er' done and take Gramps for a ride damnit! LOL

13. Work and the heat has been whooping my ass this week. I think I will take the week off before el mirage to make sure thy ol hypersonic special is ready to hit the dry lakes.

14. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg So the vintique gas tank has a different look in the sides as an original tank. They must stamp out the side brackets and use one pattern for both sides. That means there's extra holes on bothe sides. Looking at my original tank I see it so I have to fix that. I had to basically redo all there soldier joints, because they were lifted off the tank when they soldiered them. And that made them hit the bottom of the floor of the car. Then I filled in the extra holes so now when anyone looks at the car they can't tell it a repop tank. Unless you read this and know:D:D

15. Now my little girls are rattle canning it up... They like to paint

Runnin shine likes this.
  16. image.jpg Teach your kids. Hotrods will live forever if you do.
    Hypersoniccccccccccccccccccc

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. Hey Bruce . . . awesome that you have you kids out there helping you . . . totally cool! Without them, there will be no future for what we're doing today . . .

loudbang likes this.
  18. I am with Bored&Stroked as far as being so cool to have the girls helping out......just wait Bruce, next they will be wanting to drive it!

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Cyclone Kevin and loudbang like this.
  20. I refer to my grandaughter as "the shop boss". She wants to help SOOO bad...for the first 5 minutes, then...not so much. But she does love rattle cans!

lbcd and loudbang like this.
  21. image.jpg
    Now grandpa wasn't a gangster
    But I am...........
    Hypersoniccccccc

22. image.jpg Rear brake backing plate bolts look good to hold on a rear spreader bar.
    Don't copy me...

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

loudbang and paintslinger805 like this.
  24. I should of bought the 4-71 the guy had too. But I love the looks of the three vane sides. And for a flathead coolness it's all you really need. Had a local swapmeet and scored some high end cool stuff for cheap. Got another set of premoe king bees for 40 bucks. Some other goodies too.

25. :D:D:D I got some chrome 94s that would look really cool on top of it.:eek::p

26. Shit man....you must live just right....Now that would be very cool setting on top of that flat motor. Like shine said...what a lucky dick!

27. Plus a set of nice King Bees bring over a hundred around here and you scored them for 40 bucks.....