Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Do you have the rear baffle tube to put down below the fuel pump? It helps to pull the vapors/condensation from the crankcase -- and not just pull it across the valley area. Everybody used to throw them away, but they are important for the fresh air system to work as it should (at least in a 59xx series). Here is what I'm talking about:

2015-11-07 14.01.53 copy.jpg 2015-11-07 14.02.55 copy.jpg

loudbang and paintslinger805 like this.
  2. paintslinger805 likes this.
  3. Make a gasket to go between the top/bottom of your manifold - don't want any vacuum leaks.

4. image.jpg Yea dale I got the tube. I just happened to notice my fuel pump rod was bent alittle. I put it in my lathe and spun it and it's out if round. So I have to dive into my nos stuff. I know I have a few of them both sizes. So I'm gonna replace that.

5. Edelbrock makes that gasket because of the repop slingshot. I ordered one from summit racing. Then I cut it all out to match.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Perfect! Love that intake with your setup - really fits the car and it will run very well.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  7. I also got arp fuel pump studs. Lol 10 bucks for two studs and nuts. Wooh weeee. These flattys are expensive when you do them right.;) Grandpa is going to shit a golden goose when we hit the streets of Pasadena. The motor is so loud. If I could post video I would share a funny one of me saying that the first time we fired it. 383duece Dennis was here with me. I said holy fuc$ that thing is loud.:D

loudbang likes this.
  8. Remember the block all ready had pennies punched into the heat cross over holes. Then the machine shop just decked right over them and made it all flush. So it's extra loud.:D:D Me likeieeeeeeee

loudbang likes this.
  9. The stupid intake studs were 80 bucks. Now I have to go pan handle on the freeway off ramp so my kids can eat some rib eye steak tacos.:):rolleyes:

loudbang and Tim like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If you can text the video to me I can put it on you tube and embed it into this thread~ assuming it's on a phone

11. image.jpg Hey dale did you see my sun distributor machine I got? It's a 600 model

12. Pennies in the cross-over? Don't give out all the old racing tricks - LOL! Did you check the year of them first? I usually leave one of them in - if the manifold has heat risers - gets some heat up into the manifold which is good for cold days.

If that Sun distributor machine works, you'll find all sorts of uses for it. I use mine to test all my distributors as well as standard output Vertex and Harman Collins mags. It is not strong enough to turn hopped up mags or a MSG Pro-Mag. I also use it to setup all my computer and digital ignition systems for track cars as well as Bonneville -- have a crank trigger setup that I made that mounts on an old distributor -- this fires all my computer systems and is used to test speed sensors. I'm currently making a fixture to turn my 20 Amp Pro Mags in the lathe, then I'll use the Sun as the crank trigger portion -- this will allow me to test them as well. I look like 'Dr. Frankenstein' over here!

PS: If you need any help with the Sun machine - let me know.

loudbang likes this.
  13. For things like intakes, I go to McMaster-Carr --> www. mcmaster.com . . . they have all sorts of studs and are cheaper than going to ARP (they're probably made by ARP).

loudbang likes this.
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

You have to see that video with the plugs firing away in his adjustable spark jig thingy.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Tim and paintslinger805 like this.
  15. Here yah go . . . "Dr. Flatenstein . . . The Monster Lives!"

16. Yea I need to become a mad scientist too. If anything else that sparky rail will get the kids to do their part around the house.:)

loudbang and Tim like this.
  17. Barnmiester

Barnmiester
    from wyoming

Rad video!!! I've never seen one operate thanks for sharing.

loudbang likes this.
  18. DAM! Dale that was very cool to see. And I am here to tell ya that Bruces flat motor is one strong running bad bitch and it is loud, loud....but I loved it!

19. Just the way we like em! A hotrod should perform and sound like a hotrod. I remember when Bruce and I first chatted - he was going back and forth on a few things. I told him "If you're going to build a Fxxxing hotrod, then build one!". He obviously took my advice to heart! LOL. Looking forward to seeing him get on the road and with his Gramps next to him - that will be a very cool day.

B&S

20. Dale if it wasn't for you and you telling me that my motor would be mild sounding like everyone else. Now everyone will say and I quote " holy hell did you hear that thing" and the one cool guy in the crowd will say "of course I heard it, it's a real hotrod" grandpa gave it a thumbs up and that's all that really matters. It was loud and mean and he loves it. So thank you dale for making me understand the meaning of building a fu$$ing hotrod. Back in the late 40s my grandpa and his friends would make fun of the guys pulling out their chokes to make it sound like it's got and cam in it and act like they got a real hot motor. They damn sure won't make fun of this bad baby.

graveyardsledder likes this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

22. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

loudbang likes this.
  23. If I remember right my pennies were 47 and 51.

loudbang likes this.
  24. image.jpg image.jpg Nope just looked back 57 and 4?

brEad and loudbang like this.
  25. Hey Brian, thanks for jumping onto this thread - your Dad was a very generous man with me, we spent a lot of time talking about Arduns, cams, lower end girdles, you name it. I was very sorry to see him pass - but also glad that you "get it" and appreciate his generation like I do. Take care, Dale.

loudbang likes this.
  26. loudbang likes this.
  27. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

Thanks Dale. He got me infected big time. I can't shake it!
    All the best - BK

loudbang likes this.
  28. It's gonna feel like x-mas for the next couple of days. I got boxes and n.o.s. Parts coming from so-cal and New York. Plus axel from Oklahoma. I got this country covered.

Anyone have a nos 32 pitman arm BALL??????
    How about a original 32 generator FAN. Still need a real 32 fan!!!!!!!
    I found an nos 32 pitman arm. Yah for me. Cheap too. As I'm a cheap ass.:rolleyes:
    It's so close I can smell it. Or is that my rib eye steak tacos-my kids get after we pan handled the freeway off ramp today.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Bruce makes some bad ass rib steak tacos as I can vouch for that, and his fish tacos are to kill for. Was last Oct. when he treated me to them and I can still recall how dam good they were.....

30. :) I'm hungry for hotrods.