Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

In my best old lady voice from the 80s Wendy's commercials "where's the axle?"

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Maybe it's for sale at the lsru.

3. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Distributor is coming your way lol!!

paintslinger805 and loudbang like this.
  4. Quality of work is subpar. Steering arms were dropped unevenly and after 3500 miles the passenger side spindle is loose at the king pin. It's either the king pins he installed or the king pin boss on the axle not holding shape after the drop.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Gotcha, good to know. He only dropped mine, but didn't adjust steering arms, etc. I'll keep an eye on the king pin areas.

loudbang likes this.
  6. That sucks because my king pin holes and perch pins holes were very tight. I don't think the perch pins were every takin off. The perch pins have no wear on them like the other sets I have so that tells me they held their torque and cotter pin. The king pin holes were slightly surface rusted so I lapped them with some secret sauce and they cleaned right up and a nos king pin was still tight. So I hope he didn't f that up. I also stamped the parts to make sure I get back what I sent. It's now seven weeks at his place. I would of tried myself if it was gonna take this long. Now he's at lsru and even if he gets back Monday or Tuesday I won't get it back for another two weeks. That will be 9 weeks to drop a axel. Bummer

loudbang likes this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

In that time ya coulda sent it up here to my buddy. He uses a jig with dies and is anal about the way they look and fit. No distortion to king pins or perch holes.

And he is dropping 32 heavy axles now. They look beautiful.
    Ya can see the job he did on my 34 axle in my build thread. The axle was mint. No rust pits or scratches even had some old paint on it. It is just as tight after dropping as it was before.
    I would post a link but I suck at that.

8. Yeah. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Well I will just keep my fingers crossed he does a great job. Now I'm almost wishing I didn't have him drop it. I kinda like the looks of a stock 32 axel. But if I want to be like grandpa it had to be done. Hypersoniccccccc or bust.

loudbang likes this.
  10. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Bruce...........a dropped axle makes your car faster so be patient.......El Mirage November!!!!

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hopefully we'll get em back to the Lakes so they take a ride on the silt of the land.
    Ol Doc stopped in yesterday for a visit. I was playing brake man....
    Hopefully he'll be able to take a ride soon....
    You'll be out there soon and Elmer will be proud.
    Who wouldn't, it's Elmer-age!!!!!!;)

paintslinger805 and loudbang like this.
  12. I can handle it.
    Hey birdog we will put you on the secret racing list me and so-cal tex got going on.... Nov. Be ready

loudbang and birdog like this.
  13. CK your in too. Get your hotrod game face on. There might be some betting going on who's the fastest.

14. Hey dale you busy in November? We got a flathead show down some where in the Wild West. More than 2 less than 500. Outlaw'in. We are not a criminal organization.:D Catch us if you can coppers!!!

15. Wait till you see how I screwed up this piece of junk today. Pictures will come later. Everyone will hate but hey it's my junky 32 so ohh well.

16. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I am more then ready!!!!!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Still no axel just sitting here boarded out of my mind.

18. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Maybe I should play with my intake. I wasn't getting enough power from the one on it so I'm goin to try a few different ones to get me up to hypersonic speeds

DylanHill1931, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. image.jpg I know one of these will work. The rest I will melt down for sand casting some parts.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All very capable of getting the job done but the middle one has a minuscule edge my artistic eye says.

Quite the museum collection of fully functional art...

Hope your tire spreader arrives soon.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  21. The Eddie Meyer is really nice and Xstamped. Eddie stamped every one and the top and bottom match. This collection came from the same guy I bought the distributor tester from. I felt really bad today as if I was killing his kids. He has had most of these over 40 years. But it was a buy them all or none kind of deal. I payed up just for the 4 I want to keep, and have to sell the rest to get most of my money back. This is why we are all sick! Life's a gamble and most time it's only fun in Vegas. At least there you get free drinks.

loudbang, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  22. I was about 4 days late or I would of had a 36 lb running 21 stud that I would of put this Eddie Meyer intake on and my nos 21 stud ford aluminum heads I have stuffed up my ass for a rainy day. But o well. The hunt gos on. I will be running the slingshot. It has a great old time polish job that I won't touch just run it the way it is for now.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  23. image.jpg Also check out this way nicer regular than what's on the car now.

DylanHill1931, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I need those old chrome 94s so I can run,with my two, four on top of a 4 71 or SoCoT.
    Let me know when there up for grabs, unless your saving them for the 3w.

loudbang likes this.
  25. 97

just make sure you melt em one at a time...some of that old crap was made of real junk, might make inferior parts if they do not mix well with each other. :cool:
    or you could swap one foe a dropped axle

brEad and loudbang like this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Man that is a nice stash of intakes.

Don't suppose he has any dodge/ply stuff eh?

PhredH likes this.
  27. Dodge/ply what's that!!! Must be some kind of wood? :)

No my buddy has only done ford stuff.
    He is 77 and has had a early ford shop all his life. And now he is selling/sold most of his parts. He still works on a lot of cars for customers but he knows he wants his parts to go to good homes. Iv tried for at least 15 years to buy just one intake from him and he always said no. He just likes to look at them. And yesterday he said ok. He knows I'm breaking up the collection and knows what I'm keeping so he's happy but sad at the same time. He hoarded them long enough and now I will get them back out in the hotrod world and hopefully they will get put back on the road, and not back up on a wall.

DylanHill1931, Stogy, dumprat and 2 others like this.
  28. Intake sale starts today at high noon. That's Wild West time not that Yankee time.o_O

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    What's this one in the top third from the left? I gots my mean eye on it

30. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Wyatt that's a hexagon tool. Notice how the carbs are turned around backwards. This was so the gen. Would still fit.