Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. I think I was being 'optimistic' as I wanted you to get started! LOL :) It should have been three times as long! Ha!

volvobrynk and timmy2times like this.
  2. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg So about the time I built the motor I realized that someone had cut the tube off the fuel pump stand for the breather and made it where the breather fit down into it. Maybe to clearance for something on the last car it was in. Iv been looking for a new one and today found this cool neat one. Looks like an air scoop. Thought it's was interesting so I payed the 30 bucks for it and it's gonna look really cool on the roadster. Just got to unbolt the old one and put this one on. Cool beans.

3. Oh yea also picked up this old Stewart Warner 8000rpm tach. Mounts to the steering column. And the cable and the image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg tack drive. Watch out for this guy folks.
    American pickers who!!! What? Lol
    I'm not sure how old it is but it's more patina than the car.:eek:

4. Hey Bruce - check the ratio on the drive - to see if it is made to mount to the crank or not. The ratio and the gauge have to match where it is mounted (crank = 1/1, cam = 2/1, etc). What I don't know is what the tach is looking for . . . anybody know? Looks like it could be a really cool setup!

timmy2times and paintslinger805 like this.
  5. Hey dale same guy as the 4-1/8 crank. He said it was on a 36 hot flatty set up. He just can't remember if it was on the crank or generator. The tach drive is Stewart Warner as well . It has the special cable and all. And the tack works when I spin the cable fast. I really want to find out more about it so I can set it up. I think it's rad.

6. It definitely doesn't have the "normal" setup for a crank mount - which is a plate that mounts to the front block bolt holes . . . will be interesting for somebody to explain exactly where/how it mounts to what? If it is to a generator, then the pulley sizes come into question as well - as the ratios it is designed for will determine the readings on the tach.

7. image.jpg image.jpg Well dale did some google ing and looks like I'm missing the bracket to mount it to the crank check it out. I'm gonna call my friend tomoorow and see if he knows about it.

8. There yah go! I'd much rather have a crank mount setup than anything else . . . IF it fits where your engine is mounted and clears the front cross member. (Which it should as you've used stock mounts) :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. DAM! Bruce the tach is cool and good score on the breather tube it looks great!

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Well it looks like the tach is from the late forties as the Spaulding bros famous track t had one. Found the picture on too talls repop of the famous car that Marty is building for him. Now got to show grandpa and see if it's like what he had. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

volvobrynk, Stogy and timmy2times like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I had that exact same tach. Mine wasn't quite as rough shape, but still didn't fuction properly. I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it. It took several days soaking the mechanism in oil. It went to @28hiboy for his hemi powered roadster.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

14. I hate rain...

timmy2times likes this.
  15. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here are some pictures of the column drop fabrication to fit a 32 roadster dash. This is a 40 something column drop. It's in the car and done. Im making a rubber pad to fit in between the dash and drop. Still working on brakes, it's raining and so I just keep working and working.

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Man I love that "make do" SW gauge panel. I could look at that all day. Sometimes things don't need to be very elaborate.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  17. image.jpg
    Yea I hear yea.? I think it looks better in the roadster than the auburn. I will find an auburn when I recreate his 3w. Since I have lots of double 32 parts I might as well recreate his cool ass 3w. That will be my next build.

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

You officially have the HAMB affliction now. Would you like a intervention?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. DAM! Bruce the drop is killer....Ya done good grasshopper!

paintslinger805 likes this.
  20. Forgot to say I received a PM yesterday and your antana is on it's way to me......I will get it on it's way to you ASAP.
    Raining here today also.

paintslinger805 and Runnin shine like this.
  21. Thanks Dennis,
    It will compleat the outside of the car. Keep your eyes out for an original windshield and top out there in the great mid west. I would love to find original and spend my retirement to buy them.;)

22. image.jpg image.jpg Now I'm just teasing.

23. image.jpg Just banged second gear she's a real runner.:D

Jeff34 and volvobrynk like this.
  24. image.jpg I'm gonna try and get the hand pump and tach all wrapped up. I think I'm gonna put it in the dash but not sure yet. I might just put it in the steering column since it has the original bracket to put it there.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. I would go with the original column mount on the tach as I think it is cool and you don't see many of the old mounts any where. But it is your ride...so do what you like.
    But someday when you are banging gears in the garage, turn the dam gauges so they set straight in the dash as they are starting to make me cross eyed..

26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DITTO on those fuckin' gauges, Bruce. My buddies are asking me why the dude in Nipomo runs his gauges like that. LOL.

27. That's it now they are going upside down. Or maybe back wards. Or maybe I just throw them in the trash. Who needs them anyways. Just listen to the motor and it will tell all....

28. I love your reply Bruce........I boxed up you a little something for a Christmas gift for the roadster today and will get it off in the mail tomorrow. Hope you like it.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  29. Thank you Dennis I still am on the look out for a passenger 32 3w original handle for ya. I will find one to go with the drivers one I gave ya. You might just have to drive back and pick it up this year at the la roadster show......