Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. image.jpg image.jpg Alittle off topic but also got an original bates p-pad for my Harley for 30 bucks. It will go perfect on my bike.

2. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

It's an aftermarket stewart warner panel, that configuration most commonly found in boats. Pretty sought after. JohnnyA

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I almost suggested one of these to you. I love'm and they totally fit the build. I think it's more in vain of the Auburn or the things Elmer did to HyperSonic than going with stock. Great score, I'm pretty jealous.

4. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

If you're lookin to upgrade your duplex gauges, Pat Swanson just found a few!

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  5. image.jpg image.jpg Me grandpa cyclone Kevin, Sharon aunt Gaye el mirage ca. July 17 2016

6. image.jpg image.jpg Big thanks to Kevin, he let grandpa drive his roadster all over el mirage.

7. HOT DAM!
    Those are some KILLER photos...Thanks go out to Kevin for letting Gramps drive his roadster (as I would have done the same) My bet he had a blast recalling that ride, and had a hard time going to sleep that night. So cool of you to take him along for what had to be a great mind blower for him.
    This story just keeps getting better everyday.

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

It really does and he said exactly what you wrote above almost word for word;). Basically said that he'd be thinking about that ride for a while.
    It's funny, when I got the makings of this 32, it was going to be for the Waske 29. I had all kinds of visions taking it to the dry lakes and recreating a time in the past,
    Well goal achieved but not with the Waske 29, but the Deuce that I made whole again that spent time running all around So Cal as a modified Tudor Tub.
    Now it's been a roadster for more than a few years and it makes people happy to cruise around, sit in it or just take pix.
    Elmer-age had a birthday last week, he got his present from us today and I hope that he will remember it for a long while. So great to see Elmer-age at El Mirage watching Elmo Rodge take the last run of the day with his flathead powered, Cyclone Quickie equipped belly tanker.:).!!!!!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  9. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    It was awesome Dennis. My aunt called me on Wednesday and said grandpa wanted to go out to el mirage because they looked it up and seen they were going to be running out there. She said why don't you meet us out there and suprize him. I said hell ya that's a good idea so I called Kevin and asked if he would like to go and he said hell I will drive the roadster out and we will get grandpa to drive it. So I meet up with Kevin and Sharon this morning and we rolled out. This is how crazy this story is as this was the first time I have ever been to el mirage and also the first time in over 60 years grandpa has been there. While I was there I took a few minutes to walk off and get a real feel of this historic place. I picked up a hand full of dust off the clay ground and gave it a smell. Looked off in all directions and felt like I was being watched. All I could think of was if you build it they will come. I went back over to grandpa and asked him does it bring back any memories and he said oh boy does it. I watch him as every car started up and took off. After they started going he would put his head down and listen to the shift patterns. As we stood there he would say sounds like a good run. One car took off and he said right away sounds like they dropped a couple cylinders they better go check their spark plugs, and a few seconds later the car pulled off and exited the track early. I think him seeing the car and then wanted to go out to el mirage is bring back a lot of things that May have been lost in his mind as it was long ago that he was out there putting the pedal to the wood. After today and him taking Kevin's car for a spin I think it's all coming back. I can't even say how badass that is. He is already looking forward to the sep. Meet. He said he needs to bring his real camera because his I phone is garbage for photos. 86 years young and still tickled pink To hop in a 32 and go for a spin. I can only think of what he was thinking driving Kevin car around out there. Did he go straight back to 1947 and think what he needs to do for the next run, all the checks he needed to make before the next run, what did he need to fix real quick. I do know one thing for sure, he said after all these years why and the hell don't they have an electronic board out there with the speeds and times because you can't hear shit coming from the P.A.system. He even told an official that , and I laughed my ass off. The guy said hell I can't even hear them with the ear muffs on. We all got good laughs at it but he is right we couldent hear jack squat. All and all it was a great time and as usual I didnt get that many pictures. I was to caught up in the moment. I will post all the pictures I took as I know some of y'all live far far away and don't get to see el mirage that often. I hope you all injoy this thread so far and we are no where done yet. Thanks y'all injoy

10. image.jpg Here's some more pics. In joy here you go Wyatt as your grandpa would say Hubba Hubba I like cowgirl boots.:D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    volvobrynk and jerseyboy like this.
  11. image.jpg Grandpa and Kevin when they took her for a spin. Thanks again Kevin you really made his day. Surprised he didn't drive her all the way home and confiscate her.

12. Btw this car below cowgirl ran 416 at bonniville. I think it only ran 246 today. Don't hold me to those exact number but that's what we heard from a bystander that was part of the team.

13. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Me and grandpa. July 17 2016. I'm 36 he's 86. He's only got a couple of miles on me huh?

14. image.jpg Cyclone Kevin and grandpa. El mirage ca. July 17 2016.

15. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Cool beans man cool beans. Can't wait till sep. Meet then oct. Trog here we come. If any of you can join us be there or stay square.;):D

16. Sorry for the repeat pics but they are just so damn cool.

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Those are some damn cool memories!

18. Bruce, No need to say your sorry for the re-post on the photos as I still went back through and looked at the a couple more times. Just kick ass cool and I can see all the pride in your gramps face in every photo. Big THANKS go out to Kevin also for doing his part and letting him not only ride...but drive the roadster...
    I REALLY DIG THIS STUFF!

Cyclone Kevin and volvobrynk like this.
  19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I've enjoyed following this journey, it's great that you get a chance to bond with your grandfather. You did good with that gauge panel, usually see them for quite a bit more. Plus it'll look good and fit the era of the build even though it's not the Auburn you wanted.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"paintslinger805", I do believe you and Cyclone just added many years to your Grandpaw's life. We will see you at TROG in our little red roadster. Gary

Cyclone Kevin and volvobrynk like this.
  21. Looking at those cool pic's from yesterday, and seeing the look on Elmers and your faces, made my eyes leak a little. Okay...more than a little. {And in front of everybody here at work too.}:D

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, boy, Kevin ! ! That experience at El Mirage in your roadster has to be one of the highest highlights Grandpaw has had recently. I do believe that is maybe the best therapy he can have, and it didn't cost him a penny. Do you think he will want to drive mine at TROG ? He is welcome to. Once again, you and Bruce have stepped up to the plate and hit home runs. TROG or bust ! ! !

23. Bruce, I really like the new dash and you done great on the $$$. It fit's the build to a T I think.....Way to go and I bet Elmer will love it. Bet he had a buddy that had one in another hot rod just like it also.

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Gary,
    Looking back I knew all those classes that I had to take learning about the inner workings of the human mind would come in handy as I was drawing picture s of Cylinder heads and quick changes.-;).
    You hit the nail on the head there, Elmer probably had the best therapy ever for a young man his age, behind the wheel, 70 years were taken off, he truly was thankful.
    Heck yeah, he'd probably jump in yours too if ya tossed him the keys!!!! Looking forward to seeing ya @ TROG.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

x2. Following you, @Runnin shine & @dumprat as you build with such passion is really what this hobby should be about. Thanks for sharing your build!

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I attended El Mirage last year for the first but not the last time. These photos really make me "homesick" to be back there. I missed meeting Cyclone on the lake by an hour or two when I stopped and talked to some young guns from Pasadena who were doing what I most love about this "sport", eating hotdogs and bench racing. Cyclone had been there earlier, and I found this out later in the week when I talked to Cyclone on the phone. I am so envious of you fellows who can go to the dry lake every meet. I would love to have seen Grandpaw ripping ass on an official about not having this or that ! ! LOL.

27. Bruce the photo of you and your granddad looking into each others eyes standing next to Kevins roadster is so dam cool. Makes me wonder what was going through both your minds at that moment.
    Bet it was some cool vibes for sure.
    Wish I could swing making the trip out to TROG races and hook up with you and gramps, but have a lot on my plate this year and I am sure I will run out of play $$$$ at some point. I am driving the 3 window to Bonneville next month for speed week. Really looking forward to that as we have not got to run for the last 2 years as you know. Plus the 3 window needs to get it's salt fix.
    Keep hammering away on that roadster bud.......it's looking bad ass.

28. image.jpg I found me a radiator cap and I also came across this super rare invisible bullnose. I would of never seen it if the emblem wasn't on it. Henry only made three, two for him and one for me. They are so rare I bet y'all have never seen one. It's the holy grail bullnose. Now my car is so priceless. Guess I one up'ed y'all again.:eek::D Get out there and build somethinn...