Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

The weather looked better up at your place today, I did the lawn and it started to mist heavily while I was cutting it.

It's funny cuz I drove the 32 to breakfast this morning, it actually looked just overcast, then the "June Gloom" really set in…..
    The "Elmer-age 32" looks great!!!!! I can't wait till he sees the Hot Rod….

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

The car is coming together great Bruce.
    Aaron

3. Thanks Aaron and Kevin. I'm working in her all day today so wait to see what I get done today....:rolleyes:

4. image.jpg image.jpg I want to thank pat Pryor, saltracer, dueceman, Dennis, Wyatt, Kevin,hotcoupe,ford mike,mark muller for helping out this project. Pat sent me more Packard 440 wire and dueceman sent me the nicest 32 frame blueprints so I can make sure now this frame is good. It's nice to see y'all helping me to the finish line. Thanks guys. And thanks to everyone else that has reached out and helped me. Hope I'm not forgetting anyone if so I will remember and give ya a shot out.

5. Also found this nice little nos piece probly 40 ford but not sure when I was cleaning up shop and putting tools away yesterday. I use to do paint work for a lot of hotrodders In Santa Barbara ca. And one guy dan would call me and say come do some paint work and I will trade you lots of old parts so of course I would that's were I got tons of nos parts. He built 32s then did 40s fords and Lincoln's then 55-56 t birds back to 32s 35-36s long ago so I sold most of it at Lars over the last 10 years or so. But I still have a few things and I'm glad I found this so I'm gonna use the spring for my gas pedal. Nos ford spring and it's cheaper than that 5 dollar one Wyatt told us about.:D One less aftermarket part.... All original I do say. hopefully I image.jpg image.jpg I think I'm even jealous of myself :eek: How does he do it???? It must be the hypersonic blood. ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. I keep following along and then telling the other guys at work whats going on. They're getting sick of me. AND I DON'T CARE!!!
    Keep at it. I want to see the pic's of your grand dad sitting in it at El Mirage!

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  7. That's funny keep at them and get them to join the hamb and read it. I spent all day on the inside of the car with a wire wheel and da getting all the rusty scale off. I was thinking of por 15 but I also thinking of having the body blasted so maybe I won't waste the por 15. Not sure yet. Or I will por 15 for now and later down the road take the body off and preserve it the best way possible like have it dipped.

8. greaser

greaser

I've found for me it's easier to do it permanently to begin with, rather than re-do later. Life takes direction changes and somehow I never get back in the same mode.
    I'm with rubberrodder... pics of Grampa in the roadster is the ultimate reward!

volvobrynk and slv63 like this.
  9. Be careful when stripping the body. It can be scary how little body you get back.

10. image.jpg image.jpg So I got that spring on the v8 gas pedal now so it's back in firewall and done. Putting the 32 front crossmember in so I can use the stock motor mounts. Gonna bolt in the dash and try and get the steering colume in and fit the shift rods for the side shift 40 trans. Gonna try and make it as complete as possible so it will look even better for grandpa to see it this weekend at Lars.

11. image.jpg Also after damn near pulling out the shotgun and murdering the passenger door I finely got that sucker open. Im talking torch then more pb buster than torch than more spray. Then I tightened the hell out of the cowl bolt and pryed it open and away from the latch lock. Hurray for meeee.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  12. image.jpg How do you like these hoe made quarter panel supports some one cut with a torch and welded them to the quarters long ago. Also see what I'm missing there that bracket that gos down to the floor. :(

13. Rotten

Rotten

Looking good, see you Saturday

14. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

If you go to Brookeville Roadster site and download the catalog you will find a blown apart diagram of all the 32 roadster body parts .
    I think they will be at Lars (wish I was).

15. I don't have a computor and the brookville phone site sucks. It only show 28-29 roadster when I try to see 32 stuff it's comes up with blank pages. I will get another catalog this weekend in pomona.

16. alchemy

alchemy

I don't want to sound harsh, but you shouldn't complain about any of those roadster body parts. Maybe it just sounds like complaining on this end. I would be very greatful if my roadster body was as cherry as yours. Nice stuff like that can only be found in California, not in the rust belt where I live.

17. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 9.55.05 AM.png

Brookville Roadster

18. Quack!!! it's just an ol junk car. No need to get upset with my complaining. You can find cherry ones all day long around brookville ohio. This one came out of a junk yard remember? And someone did some junk work on it too that I don't like. So I guess you can say I was complaining.;) Let the soap oprah began:D

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Looks like an old car to have fun with! And I agree I call all my projects junk.
    Alchemy needs to chill.

I like what you are up to with this.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is what a 1928 Chevy barnfind looks like over here! It was found inside and was left there in the mid fifties!
    In my best Davis freiburger voice; that is MINT ! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465925515.635222.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465925634.461946.jpg

All kidding aside, I finding my self gazing at all you pics, new and old, and get a strange feeling inside, my be jealousy but I felt so happy at the same time, could it just be envy?

21. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, guess I'm just jealous I don't have nice parts. Or can find 32 roadster bodies sitting in junk yards.

22. image.jpg
    Thanks Volvo, this is what a 27 chevy AA 3 window coupe barn find looks like In California. I bought this car about three years ago just to flip and make money off of it so I took it to the la roadster show swapmeet about 2 years ago to sell and I just kept looking at it so I took the for sale sign off and brought it back home. I want to build a hopped up chevy 4 cylinder I have two 27 motors but iv been looking for an 23 Oldsmobile head for the 3 port design. I'm gonna start on this after the roadster. The back panel flew off on the freeway that's why it looks like it's a five window but there's a metal piece that is nailed to the wood there.

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

You don't see many of those these days or these. image.jpg
    Where I come from, they call these type of carz ODD RODZ.....o_O:);):D.
    It's all good tin boys!!!!!!

24. Is that a 34 hupp that car is awesome!!!!!!!!!! I love the zeppelin radiator topper. Lol I can't lie i seen it in person it's cool as cool gets.:)

25. image.jpg Got the pass. Door latch out with heat all the "original 32 screws" came out really easy with the heat. Now I'm gonna soak it over night in some mystery cocktail stuff. See if can get it to work the the drivers side.

Stogy, volvobrynk and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  26. Only two more days till I leave for Lars so I'm bustin balls to get it more complete. Just talked with grandpa he can't wait I still have not sent him a picture but he asked for one so I'm gonna send him one now. We will see what he has to say.

volvobrynk and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yup, sure is, I like its style..:D
    Great job getting the latch out.
    That's a heckuva lot of work. I'm glad that you got it out.
    You'll make it work like new.

28. image.jpg image.jpg Out with the model a and in with a 32 front crossmember that was donated by runnin shine Wyatt at Hubba Hubba hotrods. Also got some redneck engineering going on here YALL!!

63fdsnr and Speedy Canuck like this.
  29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Well I'll be!!!!! Hey Sargent Carter, Private Paintslinger805 is putting in a 1932 front x-member in a 32 Foooord!!!!! Shazam, I can't wait to tell cousin Goober,Andy and Wally back at the garage that there's redneck engineers in Cali-Forni as well!!!!! :D;).
    Good Job Bruce!!!!!

paintslinger805 and rubberrodder like this.
  30. image.jpg Well I don't know what happened I left it outside for 10 minets and someone stole the hole front end motor and all. Oops nope I forgot I dids that. One step forward two steps back don't know if I can make it to Lars now:rolleyes:.

63fdsnr likes this.