Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Granada brake problem and solution

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Komet, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I just fixed a confusing brake problem on the '65 Ranchero. The Granada disc brakes worked OK until the car had been driven for 10 or more miles, at which point they would get tight and start to drag, not releasing all the way. Not enough to warp the rotors, but they would drag and squeak a bit when warm. Car has done this for years, finally got too annoying. The Geo master cylinder does not have a residual pressure valve, so that wasn't it. I tried to crack open the bleeder screws on both calipers to release the pressure, but they still wouldn't release. So they must both be seized or sticking, right?

Being that they were lifetime warranty from CSK back in the day, O'Reilly's ordered me two fresh reman Granada calipers. I put them on, and... they still won't release. What the cheese? Four in a row? Not possible. Gotta be something else. But what? So I replaced the rubber hoses. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old hoses, but I did this conversion nearly 20 years ago so fresh hoses couldn't hurt, and at 12 bucks apiece, why not. I cracked open the bleeder screws on the new calipers, and they were still stuck, you could not turn the rotor by hand on either side. I unscrewed the rubber hose on one side to replace it, and the caliper immediately freed up and the rotor turned easily. ??? (maybe a few choice words were uttered)

So I took a look inside the threaded hole where the hose lives, and saw the edge of the piston. The hose is at a right angle to the piston. After a break with a frosty beverage, (thinking juice) it came to me. The fitting on the hose is too long, and is jamming against the edge of the piston, preventing it from retracting. The fix? I ground off approximately 1/4" of material from the end of each hose fitting, leaving almost all of the threads - so no problem with safe thread engagement - and that was the solution. I've never heard of this problem before, and neither has the Google machine. A friend feels that the remanufacturer probably bores the calipers and uses an oversize piston, leading to the interference, but I think it is the hose manufacturer using a fitting that is too long.

After getting the rotors turned at my favorite tire shop and a set of new semi-metallic pads, Job done. Strange problem, but strange problems are common with aftermarket parts.

P9180166.jpeg IMG_0791.jpeg

2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Certainly sounds like a new one and thanks for letting us all know!

Another possible response to the 'my brakes won't work' guessing game threads! Not seen one of those for a short while, so one must be about due!

Chris

3. Thanks for posting! the more info to put in the back of the cranium for future reference, the better. I had a collapsed hose, holding pressure and creating caliper drag, on another Ford application. Although, it could happen on others as well.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Had basically the same issue with a AN adapter. And it came from Earl's!

5. Nice ranchero

Kustom Komet likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are the hoses for the Granada calipers pipe threads or use copper washers? I am not familiar with them. Thanks.

7. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Copper washers, and that size is hard to find now. Conveniently, the new hoses didn't come with them.

jimmy six likes this.
  8. BJR

BJR

The copper washers usually come with the caliper or wheel cylinder. These new Chineese parts may or may not fit, or work correctly. It's a crap shoot nowadays with new parts.

jimmy six likes this.
  9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thanks for posting, good find and something to watch out for.