Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Got something you absolutely love to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Dec 11, 2015.

1. trollst

trollst

For me it is wiring, I been building a long time, I used to love building chassis and setting up a car, which I still like, but my favourite is wiring. Today, for example, I turned on sixties on six on Sirius radio, listened to everything from popcorn music to the beach boys to led zeppelin, something I haven't listened to in a long time, started to run wire, I become completely absorbed in what I'm doing.
    When I build chassis or do other stuff, I kinda muddle through it without thinking too much, experience takes over, but wiring, that takes planning and skill to locate the components, run the wire, make sure all the lengths are perfect and all the bends are bent together, stringing wire, then pulling it back because it didn't look like it belonged there, figuring out which is switched power, which is not, trying my best to hide all the wire on the outside of the car for a clean look, then, the end of the day comes, and I quit.
    However, I know I'll sleep poorly, remembering what I've done, figuring out more ways to make it nice. Can't wait for tomorrow to do it all again.

wedjim, loudbang, 55willys and 2 others like this.
  2. I really wish that I loved wiring.

3. I like detail.
    Anything to do with making those little things nice. Like with how your into getting the wiring perfect.
    I'm not OCD with detail, but I enjoy making those things that people often overlook, look great.
    When someone points out what I've done, that others wouldn't bother with, it gives me a huge kick.

4. indyjps

indyjps

Agree here, I'll spend time working on areas of the car finishing what few will ever notice. I dont care of anyone sees it, I know its right. The people that do notice it appreciate it.

5. indyjps

indyjps

Brakes, I must love doing them, I pull them apart, clean, grease, inspect once a year on my daily's. I have multiple sets of mock up brakes for my current project. Any time I'm browsing and come across a "potential new project", I check out what kind of brake upgrades are available.

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  6. dcs13

dcs13

I like one off welding stuff. Nothing better than building a better mouse trap. I "borrowed" this design for the tri5 from AME. About $90 in metal there.
    [​IMG]

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Draw cartoons and sketch. But only when I'm in the moment.

lothiandon1940 and kiwijeff like this.
  8. What I absolutely love to do is not appropriate for this forum....:eek:

wbrw32, kadillackid, hipster and 6 others like this.
  9. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

I love to WELD I am 66 years old my Dad he was a swell guy!! Any way he taught me stick at 10 years of age. Thanks Pop.

scrap metal 48 and kiwijeff like this.
  10. I like clutches and gears, transmissions of all kinds and differentials. Gears and titts are my two favorite things ever.

11. triman62

triman62

Cool idea for a thread, brought back a lot of memories for me. I absolutely love rebuilding engines, nothing like that feeling when you here it run again. My first encounter with engines was a 331 Chrysler hemi out of a 55 Imperial, I got to clean all the parts in a washtub with gas and a paintbrush. My first job as a professional mechanic was engine builder, the first engine there was a 455 olds out of a Tornado. I can't wait to do the 232 flathead 6 for my Hudson.

wedjim and kiwijeff like this.
  12. working with, good tools, good parts, in a good shop with NO interruptions.

13. I love sitting back with a beer and looking at what I just did.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I like doing different things....wiring, welding, detail gizmos, gears, brakes, cleaning stuff, sanding, you name it. But only for a little while.

Best of all, I like driving something I built.

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Design and fabrication. In fact after the fab work is done it is hard to move on with the rest because my ADD little brain keeps thinking about the next car?

Hnstray and 55willys like this.
  16. Fedman

Fedman

Thinking back about how good we were! :D
    I love thinking about the Drag Racing Memories I have, I loved that time period in my life.
    Shop Time, with NO interruptions and the Sun shining through the Roll Up Door! :)

drifters cc likes this.
  17. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I've fallen in love with body work...it's dirty as hell but give me couple of ciders, good music, a sander, leave me the hell alone and I'll be there for days. It keeps me from thinking...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  18. I like wiring as well but also like fabricating things like the instrument panel insert and the center console in the picture. I like laying things out and doing them to suit me and not worrying what others may think. to me that's what hot rodding was in the early 60's, when I started.. Most of all, like Squirrel says, I like driving what I built!! DSCN9318.JPG

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  19. Buying some kind of car part or gadget and finding a way to improve on it.

20. das858

das858

I like wiring also, but I really enjoy fabrication . Since we built our dragster I have really gotten into sheet metal work.

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I love helping other people spend their money

22. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I absolutely love pointing an old car down the road, hitting the loud pedal and cranking up some good tunes!
    Serenity at it's best! Joe

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  23. trollst

trollst

I forgot to add, it's not a car till it's wired, turning the key the first time and hearing the flash up, then looking at everything like a madman for smoke, even though you know that won't happen.

wedjim and Arabie777 like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Swap meets, for 55 years that is what I have found to be the best part of the hobby. The parts the people, and the memory of people that you met along the way that made the hobby so much fun. Second place is restoring twisted piece of body work and giving it that last wet sanding before paint. Wiring? I'll go to my grave not understanding how it works. Bob

drifters cc, hipster and Fedman like this.
  25. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

We have a winner!

triman62 likes this.
  26. Wiring and drinking beer.

27. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I just got back from doing something I love. Get up before the sun comes up on a Saturday morning, hop in my coupe, stop at Tim Horton's for a coffee, listening to songs on my iphone and just cruise around on the country roads looking at farms and going no faster than 30mph.
    It's rare we can do that at this time of year in Canada.

Copper Top likes this.
  28. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I love doing the detailing, the things that shine, the finer points that most people miss
    KK

29. No offense guys, but I absolutely hate wiring, because it always comes out looking like a a bowl of spaghetti!!!

IMG_4907.JPG

30. I really love tuning and testing a set up - engines, cams, carbs, ignition, gearing, chassis and suspension and then of course - TEST DRIVING!

lothiandon1940 and hipster like this.