Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got Rust??? Check this out!! Gas Tank!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stewed, Feb 1, 2009.

1. 3step

3step

Remove your sending unit
    Items needed:
    a. stack of quarters (about $10.00worth)
    b. Tire chain (like you use for snow/ice or any small section of chain (easier to remove than bolts/screws))

Go to a coin op car wash
    1. drop in the chain
    2. put a little water in
    3. shake like crazy
    4. dump the water out
    repeat steps 2,3,4 until water is clear

let it dry in the sun or in your garage for a day, reinstall and keep it full of gas. Problem solved.

2. hotrod30a

hotrod30a

Muratic Acid with make the inside of that tank sparkle! just don't breathe it in WEAR A MASK. If you seal it, you run the risk of the seal flaking off. You could leave it bare and it will be a Long time before it rusts to that level again, but make sure to keep gas in it and it should stay fairly decent. I knoe not everyone will agree with this, but it has worked for me.

3. YEP! I used it in 51 in 1999 and it's still running fine today.

4. bobenhotep

bobenhotep
    from georgia

I am going to try what one of the guys on slick 60s does. He says to fill the tank with hot water and dump a box of dishwashing soap in the tank, agitate it and let it sit overnight. then dump it out, wash out the crap, dry it with a hair dryer and treat the inside with blue metal prep.

I am scared of ethanol gas and its effects on sealers. the iron phosphate coating may not be as durable, but is probably not too vunerable to alcohol.

5. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Had a mess in my tank too. Sat for years with about 15 gallons of gas in it. Didn't even smell like gas when I drained it. Then after some drying time, I got five pounds of crude out of it that looked like it had washed up from a leaking tanker onto the beach.

Made a hanging craddle out of rubber bungy cords and gave it a good shaking from all directions with a chain inside. Used a multi step tank sealer and checked it out with a scope to see that it was like new all around inside. I'd rather have crude than rust. Pain in the butt, like new now though.

By the way, don't think old gas still won't burn. I didn't even think it would light up because it was so old and stale. But when I dumped a half gallon on some weeds to burn them off, it almost turned into a forrest fire! Lesson learned................ So the rest turned into first stage parts cleaner.

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I had the same problem with our 57 Chevy and just bought a new tank since they were readily available. The car never dies now.

7. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Not too many places boiling tanks now and in europe it's illegal .
    cut it open is the best way. you can see inside everywhere. you get everything out. it's then clean. Muriatic acid,unless you remove every molecule of it,continues to eat steel until the steel has vanished.
    I've seen where the fumes from that stuff ate the shelf where it was stored and every metal container on that shelf.

8. A new tank will last longer than any fix, no worries if no one starts droping shit into it.

9. dadseh

dadseh

Im thinking a plastic tank from a late model could be the answer. must be hundreds of shapes and sizes to chose from. search the wreckers before they put a hole in them.