Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got parts but need help on where/how to start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluthndr, Apr 27, 2005.

1. bluthndr

bluthndr

Here's what I got. Mechanical stuff is easy but I'm new to fab/metalwork. Do I need the frame first? If so, do I use an original A frame or make my own???

If I make my own out of 2x3, do I bring in the body first and build around it?

Like I said - this is my first time and any help/direction would be awesome from all you guys who seem to turn out a few cars a year - or anyone for that matter.

Do I need my axles first? No Idea where to start...

For what it's worth I will be using Model A front axle and susp, Model A rear susp a top a GM 10-bolt with a T5 trans and 4 wheel drum brakes (don't have yet). I'm planning on channelling the body about 5" - 5" chop too, but I figure that can come last...

I'm thinking bring in the body, get it sitting how I want, set the engine in there on some blocks or something and build around it. Is there a better way?

2. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

What I did- I layed some 2x3" tubing over the stock frame, to approxamate the taper.and length. welded some temp. x- members .Placed the body ove the frame,build mounts to fit the body. Add motor mounts, trans x member,build the rest, and your done.:D Sparky

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Damn...if you're gonna channel it five inches, then CHOP it that much...you better be REALLY short if you wanna fit in that thing when you're done!

How you begin and what you should do FIRST depends upon your finances, the parts you have on hand, and your abilities vs what you must farm out. If you have a Model A body and frame, the best route might be to start with those. That way, your body already fits the frame, and you can always box the rails and add crossmembers, mounts or brackets as needed. Also, your Model A front suspension is an easy fit to an A frame.

If you decide to go with a custom frame, it is to your benefit to have as many of the actual components that you plan to run on hand. Having the body, drivetrain, suspension and axles handy will save headaches and avoid mistakes on the part of you, or whoever is welding up the frame for you.

Take the time to collect the actual pieces that you plan to use...having as much as possible on hand BEFORE you begin eliminates alot of guesswork, and will keep you from having to do things twice. Gather up your body, motor, trans, front and rear axles, springs, suspension pieces and the wheels and tires you intend to run before you begin making a frame or having one made. You will NEED those items to help you accurately determine component placement and set ride height and ground clearance.

(Having a clear image in your head or on paper of what you want the completed car to look like is a MUST, here...otherwise you'll just end up randomly sticking parts together...and that's what it will LOOK like...just a pile of scattered parts tossed into a heap with wheels on it!)

It's no fun to find out halfway through lowering your motor in that you don't have room for a major component...and that you suddenly need to make some last minute change in your design, or re-do the whole thing. Better to have what you need and do several mock-ups and test fits as you go. The finished car will be better for it...BELIEVE me here!

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow !
    You have already done all the hard work. Great looking pieces there.
    Since this is your first ground up...
    My suggestion.. Start by getting yourself a Ford 1940 through 46 frame and that will give you a good basis to start. You'll have juice brakes and a good foundation. Then decide on your body stance and chop. After that decision is made you can then adapt the frame if something is needed to get the ride height and stance. After you get all this done... come back and see us again.:D
    Good luck !

5. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

what? A 40-46 frame is to wide to put under a chaneled A body. Ya juice brakes are the ticket. But I like to take some A rails and box them for the front of my frame and use box tube for the rest.I mount all my parts to my frame table ware I want them . Like front end ,rear end, body, motor and trans. Then just conect the dots. to put it simple. Good luck Scott

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

spend some time measuring and mocking every thing up before you make your first cut.

7. ABone312

ABone312

Get your frame situated first. It's kind of like building a house, you have to have a good foundation. I used 2x4 tubing to build my chassis, and I lengthened it 7 inches in front of the firewall and z'd it front and back to get the stance I was looking for. If you have a good A frame and want the stock wheelbase, box it and use it. If you want to lengthen the wheelbase, or z it, I would recommend using the 2x3 or 2x4 tubing.

8. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

These guys have given you some really great advice....Not sure what you have as far as talent/technology, but I met a guy who was a Journeyman Carpenter and he wanted to build a chassis for a 34 Ford coupe.

He had the engine, trans,a nd rear end and had read a lot of stuff on the how to's, as well as buying a set of Pete and Jake's ladder bars and a dropped axle and split wishbones....

This guy made the frame up out of 2 x 6's and plywood gussets....glued and screwed together....He even dummied up the x member out of 2 x 6's and mounted his engine mounts and the radius rods and ladder bars. He laid out everything on two sheets of plywood on the garage floor to lay out the wheelbase and the positions of the crossmembers, then built the frame on that template.

When he was done, he loaded it into the back of his truck and took it to a local steel fabricator....not some high dollar Rod shop, and had them replicate the chassis he had designed. This guy owns hand tools and nothing more...not even a torch or a welder!

You'd never believe how cool it all turned out...

gave me some ideas on how to do it myself too, and I've built a few chassis in my days. More than one way to skin a cat as my dad always said.

Mark aka Abonecoupe31