Register now to get rid of these ads!

got invited to drive in a parade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldschool1, Aug 7, 2013.

1. so with the completion of my ford, I've been trying to drive it as much as possible, and show it. and love it all! it is a new thing for me to be experiencing this. As this is my 1st build. I'm loving the thumbs up, the "hey cool car" and all the admiration that comes along with owning a vintage car.

Recently, I was invited to drive it in a local parade. I'm unsure if I will enter it. I don't see the point to driving it in a parade. I'm not advertising anything, I won't be driving any local dignitaries. Am I missing something? I would suspect that others would jump on the idea of entering.

any thoughts?

2. 59 brook

59 brook

try it you may like it. if you have kids or grandkids it's even better

3. Lild

Lild

I would think the biggest concern would be over heating. Stop and go and sitting for extended periods can heat a car up pretty quick. If you've driven in stop and go traffic and everythings ok then why not

4. Just make sure you are in front of the horses.

5. Not unless your haulin' the local Cheerleaders,,even old fats like to haul them in a parade. HRP

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Depends on whether there are other hotrods, or similar cars in the parade. We have an annual 4th of July parade in a small nearby town. It gets a huge turnout of hotrods of all kinds driving in the parade, so I don't feel weird driving in it also.
    Don't forget a huge bag of candy to toss to the kids watching the parade; they love it!

7. being in a parade would be about the last thing i'd ever want to do, too many things to go wrong.

8. Watch out for the clowns. They are scary!

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Just wondering, like what ?

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It can be a rough go if you have a stick as you have the clutch pushed in all the time. And you have to have a cooling system that handles the slow or no movement for the length of time as it's really embarrassing to have to pull out of the parade with your car puking coolant all over the street in a cloud of steam.

The local Model A club does a lot of parades in the valley with their stock Model A's and never seems to have a problem but I've seen plenty of 60ish performance rigs put on a steam performance in the local parade that lasts about two hours and the cars are usually towards the back of the parade behind all the marching groups and floats.

11. 62nova

62nova

Even better that you're not advertising anything! As long as you don't overheat or stall - enjoy the community spirit. We were in a Christmas parade , had the dogsin the pickup bed , plenty fun. They don't let you throw candy here though. Worry warts!

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Locally some of the greedier kids might be running out and jumping on his running boards asking for candy if he wasn't throwing it out the window fast enough to suit them. Or maybe his past parade buddy was into doing burnouts in the middle of a parade.

13. Please don't take offence, but why do you need to consult the HAMB on this?

Here's the way I see it. Two options:

Option A - You like driving your car. You have nothing else going on the day of the parade. You want to support your community. You drive in the parade and share the joy of a nice old running car with all those who appreciate it from the sidelines.

Option B - You don't understand the point in driving an old car in a parade. You decide not to participate. You go to the parade as a spectator, or maybe take a drive in your car just for your own personal enjoyment.

There is no real need to bring the think tank in to debate the pros and cons of the above options...

14. Fenders

Fenders

How should he wash it before the parade?

15. ems customer service

ems customer service

I do a few parades evry year, they are fun, the kids like it and sometimes i let bring there friends, its good for the old car hobby. Running hot is a concern but if your car overheats with a electric fan they you have a problem that needs to be fixed anyways.

Parades never last more than a hour,

and you meet a lot of folks from the local community

do it

16. silversink

silversink

Don't forget to bring plenty of candy to throw to the kids-----I forgot mine once and payed the price----the kids can be brutal with their comments