Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got an idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Belchfire8, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I am trying to get the perches out of a Model A axle. I have done a search here and tried most of the ideas. I currently have the hole drilled in the perch boss and have been putting Kroil in the holes for a week. No dice, not coming out. When i was fighting with the kingpins I put a grease gun on the zerks and pumped grease in them till it came out the axle ends. The king pins could them be tapped out without too much trouble. Here's my idea; since i already have the holes in the perch bosses what if I made them bigenough to install a zerk and forced some grease in there. Think it wouold help or just wasting more time? The perches are shot so I don't care if I destroy them, i will drill if neccessary, but this might be quicker/easier

2. zzford

zzford

A trick that I have heard is to heat up the area, then melt a candle on the joint. The heat draws the wax into the joint allowing removal. Though I haven't had occasion to use this trick, I have it will work when nothing else does.

3. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

I've heard of the candle trick, but never tried it, either. The only thing that works for me when they're really stuck in there is an oxy acetylene torch. Be careful not to get any spot on the axle too hot, move the flame back and forth and take your time. Whack the bottom of the pin with a BFH. I've never seen one that won't eventually come apart. I have destroyed some perch pins, too, over the years, but the axle is the thing you want, anyway. Good luck.

4. tdoty

tdoty

A big air hammer has always worked for me!

The way the perches are wedged in, dunno if the grease would help you or not.

Tim D.

5. Degreaser

Degreaser

6. pitman

pitman

I'ne used the grease technique to remove old pilot bearings in cranks, it is hydraulic, but seems that rusted parts needs heat and impact. Yesterday there was a thread about removing brake drums...frozen to the shoes? by soaking overnight with water. Hmmm.