Register now to get rid of these ads!

got an idea,, a new publication of sorts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brutus t maximus, Sep 1, 2003.

1. obviously everyone has problems with the popular press these days when it comes to rods, be it tv with american chopper or american hot rod or whatever they come up with now, or the magazines..either of which cover the high dollar crap very well but sadly leave out what i like to see and that is the one guy building a car. like posted on a different subject, sort of a yankee hodrodder sort of thing.

now getting the mainstream to do a tv show is unlikely, but perhaps the magazine is the correct forum.

i was at a used book store today, and i found some woodworker publications, i wish i could remember the name,, but basically they are in volumes. Each volume has one project, start to finish.

what occurs to me, that would be very cool would be if say someone building his car was to document it, in pictures, specs, material list, parts etc. and show how he did it himself that would be cool, devote the whole volume to it. Perhaps someone could do the writeup from the notes or cleanup the writeup of the builder..

i figure if they can do it with something like a china cabinet, perhaps someone building a roadster, in his garage would be pretty darn neat to see from start to finish.

i also figure it shouldnt be that difficult to produce, i for one have documented most if not all my home built parts in pictures, and i suspect each of you have too.

that leaves one to put them in sequence, do some discriptive writeups, and have someone edit and publish them one volume at a time...

to me that would be so friggin cool to see how others actually build their stuff. From chopping and channeling, to frame building, painting, drivetrains, suspensions, etc.

everyone has his strong suit, and being able to share this in a publication would go one hell of a lot further than what boyd or the others are doing with 50 billion in machinery and store bought parts.

i mean i know those guys can do nice work, but i also know that there are those that do equally good work with very little to work with.

what do you guys think? Would you buy a subscription to something like this,,, i know i would in a heartbeat.

bob

2. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

That would be really neat. I would definately buy a subscription to somethin like that.

3. super cool but you better keep it a secret or someone will steal it

4. DrJ

DrJ

You just described AV8 aka Mike Bishop's book, How to build a Traditional Ford Hotrod...
    And a handful of other books available, that people have witten and published on the build up of their own cars.

5. maybe the concept i am describing is "over broad" in scope. i understand perhaps that is more like a book, that you have descibed.

perhaps, narrowing the scope might be in order..

here is a thought,,, do a volume on header construction, maybe use the projects of 2 or 3 home builders, with pics, step by steps, parts lists, suppliers, etc..

volume on chopping and channeling ,, done in the same manner.

volume on paint, suspension, etc. etc.

perhaps some advertizing could be sought that was subject appropriate, when doing a volume on headers, seek out and get advertizing from header suppliers, pipe, flanges, welders etc...

maybe what could be accomplished would be some really indepth coverage from start to finish, highlighting some of the areas that give folks the most trouble. and also illustate how one can possibly do it on their own in their shop/garage, without a fortune in tools.

refining the idea i guess...

more comments?

bob