Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Got a question for the small block (SEGA) crowd...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 6sally6, Sep 29, 2018.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

I totally understand the benefits and disadvantages of an alum. flywheel. This ain't that kind of discussion! BUT......
    is there an advantage for those HIGH RPM(8000+) small block to use a 40/50+lb. flywheel to keep the RPM up between shifts OR....would a light wheel get the engine to "wing-up" on the launch?
    Unlike a street ride...you racers have "the gear" to keep the engine operating in it power zone most of the time so we can take that out-of-the-equation. So the question is the "launch" I guess.(and weight of the car):confused:
    What do you fellas run?...Heavy f'wheel or light f'wheel?
    6sally6
    See y'all in Aiken(House-of-Hook)

2. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Don't know the answer to that question. But check out the Gene Shwartz vids on YouTube, high winding small block with a heavy flywheel.

3. From what I remember, the heavy flywheel was used for a real heavy car to assist in launch and inertia between shifts. The light flywheel sounds cool but isn't as useful as it is cool sounding. I have a light flywheel in my 32 because I like real responsive engines. :)

Fordors likes this.
  4. glrbird

glrbird

The heavy fly wheel is a positive on heavy lower torque cars, if you launch your car and it bogs of the line you could benefit from a heaver flywheel. If it spins the tires to much, a lighter wheel might be needed.