Register now to get rid of these ads!

got a new project today..'49 chebby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poncho, Jun 16, 2006.

1. poncho

poncho

got this car today[cross border shoppin']..1949 chevy coupe,,235,camero rearend??,350 tranny,new exaust[staight pipe].12volt conversion,notched rear frame,airshocks,front drop spindals,new wide white biasply tires,locar shifter[tall],shaved handles and some trim....runs killer,,seat are good too and so are the door panels..
    ya..i will prolly get it chopped...,,,we will see..whats the recommended inches to take outta this thing?
    post any pics of chevy coupes chopped if ya have 'em for reference
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. poncho

poncho

.....tumbleweeds.....**cricket** **cricket***.......

3. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Looks like a good find. As most cars I see, im always curious how much you picked it up for...

I dont have a simliar car, so I haven't chopped one. However, just picked up a '49 Ford that will be my first American chop (I did a VW a long time ago..)

On your car, i'd definately chop-- paying close attention to blending the rear window bodyline to flow better into the trunk line. I'd also get rid of the fuel filler door and just fill from inside the trunk, and keep the distinctive look of the two piece windshield (i'd keep the chrome trim.)

Looks like it needs to sit lower too :)

Look forward to seeing progress and you do your thing on it...

-scott noteboom

4. 4tford

4tford

Looks like you got a clean ride there. Interior looking good also.

5. singledownloop

singledownloop

looks like to nice of a car to be practicing a chop on.There's a lot of talented people doing this.I've seen Choprods do a couple chops and i can say it's not for the faint of heart or someone without excellant welding and metal fabbing skills.I know some people get it done but do you really want to cut that car up to see if you can complete a successful chop.I'm really partial to them chevys,i tried hard to buy a nice one a few years ago when i had my shoebox but couldn't strike a deal,good luck nice car................

6. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I wouldn't do anything to that car except fix up the paint and re-cover the seats... I really like that year Chevy un-chopped (sacrilege?) with a simple lowering job and wide whites.

Maybe go 2-tone Silver on top and Satin Blue on the lower...

Congrats on the new toy!.

7. klazurfer

klazurfer

Nice lookin`car :)
    You said : "ya..i will prolly get it chopped...,,,we will see..whats the recommended inches to take outta this thing? " ... I say don`t !!! : It looks way cool already ... A "chop-job" won`t improve the fun you have driving it ... use your time & $$ on the suspention... Make it pleasant to drive:)
    Klaz

8. Slide

Slide

I gotta chime in on this one. Please think long and hard about this before you chop it. It is very rare that a coupe looks good chopped when you're dealing with 49-52 Chevys. Sedans can usually handle a chop better than coupes. (I know it's only an opinion, but based on some of the posts above, there are many who agree.)

Sweet car, though! If it were mine, I'd just throw some paint on it and then just go wear out those new tires!

9. 49-54 chevy's man.. that's what gets the panties wet!

Carry a stick, you'll need it to beat off the Hogzillas and get to the hotties.

10. I saw that car for sale, either on here or ebay.

11. riverrat

riverrat

do not chop

riverrat

12. Custom54

Custom54

Very nice, hope to see it around locally. Is this the one that Laurie (ratstu) might chop?

Mike

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

come to think about it,......... NAH! , don't chop it ( this is a 2 door sedan )

14. Damn dude those photos make ME wanna get one and chop it. Awesome fuckin chop!

15. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Can't take credit for the chop,... a couple of young guys in the chicago area did it ( Zack & Todd, and they really nailed the profile) the car had some real sub and under structure problems, we have been chipping away at it but the car has become a classroom for my youngest son, we have been finishing the chop, he wants to learn how to french the headlights and peak the hood, maybe do something with the tail light's,.. this car gets a lot of attention when I pull it out of the shop. ( the chicago guys named it "Ladykiller")

17. Slide

Slide

That one does definitely have a nice profile, but judging by the trunk lid and the area between it and the back glass, that's a sedan, not coupe. If the same chop was done to a coupe, the top would look too short.

18. I was thinking the same thing, looks good, but it is a sedan.

I have a friend who had his coupe chopped by Blue Collar Customs (Blue Collar Guy) and it turned out sick as hell...one of the FEW I've seen and liked. I'll try to get a pic of it tonight. IMO, the chop on a coupe needs to be fairly even vs. the more laidback style like the one in the pic above.

Bryan

19. poncho

poncho

yuppers....hows yours turning out???

thanks for your guys opinions,,and im taking them into consideration..
    i really dig this one though...but either way they rule!!!
    [​IMG]..
    [​IMG]

20. Custom54

Custom54

Hey Poncho, mine in comming along nicely thanks, just wotking on the Packard lights right now. I like the black one in the pics, when you are ready to chop talk to Laurie, if anyone can make it look good he can.

[​IMG]

21. I love those...good score!

22. Here's the '52 I was talking about that Blue Collar chopped...
    [​IMG]

23. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Please dont chop it......Dont you think it will look a WHOLE LOT better with a viser and air conditioner? I would accessery that sucker out. But thats just me. Im not a fan of customs that much. More of a bomb guy. A mild chop would be cool though.

24. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Damn, they nailed it! usually Im not a fan of these things choped but that looks damn good!

25. Looks even better in person...it'll be at Midnight Mass and Billetproof...hopefully we'll see you guys there 'cause the cars you brought to the RZ Q were sick!!

Bryan

26. poncho

poncho

dang!!! jeeezzus,,im likein' that big time!!!thanks for the pic....

27. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

nice ride, love the pic of the black chopped coupe

28. markanthony

markanthony

Kind of partial to this one if you're looking for inspiration..

Attached Files:

29. Custom54

Custom54

WOW, I'm with you on this one, that is killer.
    Poncho, built it like the bare metal one.