Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got a Model A Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jax2A, May 12, 2009.

1. Jax2A

Jax2A

Yesterday I paid $40 for the privilege of pulling a Model A frame out of a poison ivy patch. It was sitting on top of two others and was the best of the three. Seems to be in OK shape but will need work. Guess it's time to do some research to see if I did OK and how to start building a chasis out of it. Seems extremely flexible compared to my CJ2A frame, so I imagine I'm going to have to do a lot of boxing in.

Jack

2. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

They do flex a bit naked !:D post a pic up;)

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

You did just fine, go back and get the other two, the front and rear crossmembers if solid and without repairs are worth good money.

4. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

Chances are you will have to stiffen it up some.
    The A bodies helped stiffen the frames some and the suspension was designed to twist and flex without putting much stress on the frame.
    Also the rear engine mounts of the A engine served as another heavy cross member.
    What are you planning to put on it and in it?
    You have a good starting point.

5. square and level it it up , make any repairs needed , weld in the crossmembers , box it and then add some sort of center X or K member and it will be fine. there should be many threads on the subject if you do a search

6. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

7. tinmann

tinmann

ditto

8. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I would also go back and get the front/rear crossmembers. If they are good and not rusted out they can bring an easy $100 each.
    When I got me A frame and brought it home I set it on 4 jack stands at all four corners. When I removed one stand the frame twisted and the unsupported end almost touched the floor. These frames were made for the roads back then, or lack of them, and were made to twist.
    Here are a couple of pictures of my modified A frame.

Attached Files:

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

$40? score. go get the others.

10. Jax2A

Jax2A

Haven't taking any pictures yet.
    The other two were in worse shape. One was missing the rear third of the frame and rear cross member but the front seemed solid. The other I didn't look at very carefully as it was half sunk into the dirt. the rails wer completely shot so I didn't check out the cross members. I know where their at so I can always go back, or if someone in Cenral Ohio is interested I can put you in touch.

As far as what I'm going to put in it... is I don't know a fair answer? I'm thinking I'm going to build a rod I can eventually hand over to my son who is 7 now. His name is Case and a couple of years ago I picked up a Case tractor grill shell with a real cool badge on the nose that says "CASE". I bought thinking someday we may build a rod. Well someday is getting closer. I'm thinking this is going to be a four cylinder since I have a Kaiser SuperSonic flathead 4 and a Ford Zetec 2.0L with dual side draft webers. If I go with the Zetec I'll dress it up to look like an old Indy car motor. Right now I'm leaning towards the Zetec since it's lighter and only has 17000 miles on it. I know, I know, it's not a traditional motor but what's more traditional than just making what's available work? Besides it would look sweet with dual side drafts on one side and lake pipe style header sticking out the other. Trust me if I had something else cool on hand I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Regardless, I have a ways to go before I have to make that decision.

As to what body is going on it, I have no idea yet. Depends on what I find that will look cool with that grill and is cheap.

Jack

11. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

The hunt is half the fun.
    Ideas will come together as you search.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

not only are the X members good to have..(or sell)..so are the front frame horns..esp. if you make a frame and want that A look to the front of it..

13. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Jack,this is what my son & myself done with an A chassis ;) plus parts collected over the years.Sounds like you & me are thinking along the same line,hey,it also helps the kids get started !

Attached Files:

14. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Can you take 2 frame rails (Left and a Right) and box them together that way like they've often suggested doing with T frame rails, or would that looked like boxed ass?

15. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

that is a nice chassis you got there!!!!! did you do all that fabricating your self? looks good

16. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I have a bunch of them in all different configurations. The stockers are pretty flexible, but just boxing the rails makes a huge difference. My roadster truck frame is boxed with square tube crossmembers and is super rigid.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

17. Jax2A

Jax2A

Kuztom, Very cool roadster, that's almost exactly what I was thinking about with the Zetec.

I'd like to find a cheap coupe to put on this frame, but that's probably not going to happen. I'll look for a coupe but if I find a cheap pickup cab I think I'll make a phantom CASE pickup to match the grill shell. Maybe even paint it in CASE tractor colors. I have an old Jeep tailgate I could weld in a CASE stamping and see if I can find some other CASE tractor parts to incorporate in it.

Jack