Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GOODGUYS QUESTIONS???? What Do You Want To KnoW????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KIRK!

KIRK!

There is a $5 spectator discount coupon on page 10 of the Gazette every month. You don't even need to cut it out. All you need is a xerox of it and show your member card. We're working on a way to use the magnetic strip on the back of the new cards so that you don't need the coupon. Right now the coupon gets used to keep track of how many discounts we gave for accounting.

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm guessing you mean politically. The answer is hell yes! Goodguys is a BIG contributor to SEMA and their HRIA (Hot Rod Industry Alliance).

Also, several of us that work at Goodguys are in the legal stage of setting up another charity that will focus on the hot rod hobby. Goodguys will be a large contributor to that one as well.

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

A few things.

First of course would be population. The shows need to be where they can draw a spectator crowd as well as car owners.

Second is geography. Ideally all of the events are spread evenly so as many people as possible have access to come hang out.

Third is schedule. The facility and Goodguys need to be able to align. Sometimes lack of free weekends on either parties part keeps us from going somewhere.

Fourth is the facility itself. It needs to be big enough for participants and spectators alike. It also needs to be as nice as possible. Des Moines is a perfect example of the ideal location.

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

I agree about bringing them back. Marc, the President, is a drag race FREAK. He races a sub-6-second Camaro. Plus all of us that work there are drag racing fans. If we can figure out how to make them work again, they'll be back!

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

I did answer it, but it's definitely worthy of answering again. What happened was that I had our printed give me the cost of the Gazette from start to finish, including shipping. It was triple the old price. That meant we were losing twice the membership price on every overseas member...OUCH! It took six months before we could convince ourselves to raise the price. Believe me it was not an easy decision.

I know it's not the same as the printed magazine, but you can get it digitally each month (the exact magazine) for only $20 a year.

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep, I see that too. It has been discussed over the past couple of years and is not a dead topic internally. I will definitely be bringing it up again thanks to you guys.

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Free is good.

8. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Having retired from the Post Office, your letter carrier is the 1st person you should talk to. Then if you don't get any results from him try asking for the station phone number and call and ask for the supervisor. Tell him your problem. They can run a tracer after 30 days, but I'm sure you don't want to wait that long on your magazine. If that is your case call Goodguys.

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hey, thanks!

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

Same as it has been since day one of organized car shows. So, what if there were no spectators? How would the rent of the venue, security, employees etc. get paid?

There wouldn't be any shows except in your local parking lot without paying to get in.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Free money at the bank would be cool too.

Seriously, you should do your own free show. If you want something worth going to, it's a lot of work. I know, I created and ran Billetproof for 13 years.

12. Listen,daddio,
    If you cannot or will not see, how GG has past and present- gouged their participants ,their spectators-their vendors -then frankly I am not going to be able to explain anything to you or any one like you......
    so....gotta go now and put KIRK! back on the ignore list where I like him best....

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

PErfect! The people here are saying they have a good time. Wouldn't they know if they personally felt gouged? They should thank you for knowing them better than they know themselves.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  14. hemi

hemi

[​IMG]

15. Ha Ha!!! :D

This is funny! :D :D

Seriously though.....

I wasn't about to go through 15 pages of posts to see if this was asked but... Where does the entrance money go??? What or who does it go to???

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Well, off the top it goes to paying the facility rental which is usually well into six figures since Goodguys has to rent it for the whole week, not just the three days of the actual show. And the other pile of expenses that go into the event like employees, street closures, police, ambulances, security, travel and hotels for employees and volunteers, advertising, etc.

Other places in SEMA, HRIA and charities like Ronald McDonald house, Victory Junction Gand and more I can't think of off the top of my head.

17. So it's safe to say that the "proceeds" go to charity?

If so.... What's the percentage?

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

Not all, no. It's a business, but yes contributions are made. I don't know the actual numbers, but I have shot some of the big goofy checks during presentations. Mostly though there's no pomp and circumstance, the money just gets sent.

19. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

When did it become a crime in this country to make money???

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

Well, there are always whiners. They get louder as they realize fewer people agree with them.

The HAMB is a business and I hope it does really well. It's a service provided that makes money. That's America!

To the whiners... Start your own at a better price and a better value. I wasn't happy and started Billetproof. I learned a lot.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  21. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Amen to that.......

22. Thanks KIRK!

Some have bitched about not getting a refund because they couldn't make it.

It's my stand that if you're looking for your money back from something that goes to charity, you're a freakin' heel!

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

Refunds are issued up to one week before the event. I think that's the right timeline. The cutoff date for refunds is the same as the preregistration deadline.

24. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

Red, White, and left turns...... Now that's America!

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ha ha!!!

26. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I'm not sure what world you live in.....but in mine...You have to pay to play...And I do know what im talking about because I have booth space every year at the Columbus GG's.....Inside where the AC is I might add.
    Its always a good time....I see a lot of my customers in person,from all over the country....and make new ones as well.

The staff ALWAYS treats us great.This year I needed special accomidations because of the car we put in the booth....and they went out of their way for us.

Some of the other Industry shows we do would really open your eyes if you think GG is expensive.

Tony

27. Choptop

Choptop

I heard Good Guys bought Billetproof, Lone Star Round Up, Torque Fest, Midnight Mass, Austin Speed Shop and the Beatniks Car Club... is this true?

28. i quit going to gooodguys when they started the slaom racing , or whatever you call it, and dropped some of your drag events. to many late model cars and off the showroom cars. i have let my subsription expire and will not renew until things change. your organization has lost focus on what it started about. that is why traditional events and vintage drags are so popular. i save my coins for that.

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

Actually the Japanese bought all of tjem and Goodguys too.

30. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Kirk

1. Will my Dragster that I had at the booth be in the Gazette, when the PPG
    Nationals issue comes out?

2. Why have I not been in there before?

3.Why do you only put pics of my customers engines in there?

4. Do you think my ass looks fat?

5. Are you open to more stupid questions?

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.