Register now to get rid of these ads!

goodbye cheesy red fuel line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloodyjack, Jul 28, 2009.

1. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I will be replacing the Holley regulator when Vintage speeds re-popped Edmunds old skool regulator is available.
    Its needed on my flatty because I have to run electric to fit the motor in my 27 T (no room for the mechanical pump) and the pressure would make the 97's leak even more.
    You can see from this shot that were the mechanical fuel pump would go is under the fire wall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. You can make a bracket that bolts to the block but looks like its on the firewall and you are good to go - plus it will freak people out seeing hardline mounted from engine to firewall :D

4. red lines are cool but you can't beat the thought out look of hardlines. VERY NICE WORK

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Pressure fuel in hardlines is better because if there's a minor fire, even from a backfire, and the soft lines catch fire, they rupture, then you have a real fire that is fed by fuel pump until the carbs run dry(a long time given the circumstances) or until somebody shuts the motor off.

6. Bloody hell that looks good!!!!

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

why not use some of the braided line that is black, and do the trick from here about stripping off the red and blue on the fittings with oven cleaner? they also make black AN fittings now. use a short section of this from the block to a solid pointing point on the engine.

8. 4-pot

4-pot

I used the red clear plastic lines on a couple cars in the late 50's early 60's but my other multible carb cars I always used red rubber (pink ?) lines it was suposedly premium hose. I've looked high and low for the last 3 years for some with no luck, although I did see a car at the kalamazoo nats. 2 years ago with them but I couldn't find the owner. Hard lines are nice, I used to use copper years ago, copper was used a lot in the 40's and 50's. Yours look good.

9. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Your setup is really nice. I have one suggestion - please don't take it as a criticism as this is not meant to be one.

Suggest you lose the 90 degree brass fitting that is mounted on the brass tee. Run the hard line as you have, but then in a circle 270 degrees so that the line from the rear carb can enter the tee directly. Looping hard line was commonly done to prevent work hardening and cracking from vibration.

You could also loop the front line 270 degrees but it is not really needed there and doing so would be probably be overdoing it. Just perhaps in the rear line to eliminate one brass fitting as those large clunky fittings can take away visually IMHO.

But overall a really nice job.

10. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Good job there probesport!! However, you might want to take the advise above about putting a loop in the line to absorb vibration, etc. It wouldn't take away from the looks and would probably last longer in the long run. Very nice engine, perhaps you could do another thread on the motor and car sometime soon eh? Good job vato!!;)

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I like it the way it is. Each and every section can be removed, for maintenance, without disturbing any other. The design, as is, provides for more than adequate flex.

12. Ice man

Ice man

That filter is a nice one. A thought about them though. As they age the filter starts to flake off small bits of the filter, and it causes flooding carbs. Some thing to keep in mind. I fixed many carb problems by eliminating the filter. Iceman