Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good HLVP for Rustoleum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3Mike6, May 3, 2009.

1. 3Mike6

3Mike6

First off I'm no painter, I do have a Sharpe Platnium HO HLVP I've used a few times, it's quite a bit slower than my Dads older Binks aspirating gun, but nice to use (because it's HVLP) to keep the over spray down in the driveway when I use it.

I'm pretty good at paintng farm equiptment, etc, but won't ever be painting a car...but I need to spray the boxes on my Transfer (kinda like a dumptruck) this week, and need to pick up a decent-cheap-gun to use. 90% of the spraying is flat surfaces.

I've plenty of compressor, no worries there, but looking for something under a C-note that I can shoot about 3 gallons of Rustoleum paint with and get somewhat good results.

Any suggestions/etc? I've heard the HF 60 dollars guns are good for primer, will it work for the Rustoleum? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks.

2. lownslow

lownslow

it will be fine . just get the HF purple gravity feed hvlp ... they are a knock off of a very expensive gun . wont last as long as a good gun . but will work great for what you are doing . good luck

3. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Awesome, thanks for the reply:)

4. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I agree with lownslow, the HF HVLP gun works great with Rustoleum. I did my kids engine compartment with the Rustoleum gray and the HF gun and it really came out nice, and I can make almost anything run!
    Rex

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I'd opt for the use of your old man's Binks #7 ? siphon cup. Unless you're willing to step up to a big money HVLP gun, most of the Chi-Comm knock offs are about as worthless as mule cum! At 55-60# of air pressure at the gun, you should have no trouble shooting a 8-10'' fan of wet material out of that old Binks. Given you're shooting synthetic enamel, what overspray you do produce isn't a biggie. Wet the shop floor, or cover it with drops, and wet them too. You can drop the pressure at the gun, and close down the fan on the gun to control overspray, as well. This may produce more 'orangepeel' if you don't thin your mix to cover the drop in fan/pressure.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"