Register now to get rid of these ads!

GNRS-why do they insist a photo with every entry?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Seems they'll let anything in there anyways. So, why a picture? I saw stock muscle cars, newer badonkadonk trucks...etc. It was a bit boring this year

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. So they have a picture to print in the program.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to say so that you don't ^^issrepresent the vehicle as being so^^ething it isn't.
    And photos for the progra^6 too as SCC said.

And there is a class at that show and ^^ost indoor shows for just about every type of vehicle isn't there?

But you could hold a "Groucho's" invitational car show and only invite the cars you viewed as fit to be in the show.

Probably so^^e super car guy wondering what all the hoopala over so^^e old roadsters is when after all he spent five years getting the chalk ^^arks and hose cla^^ps all factory perfect on his 68 Roadrunner. Different strokes

4. I guess I was lucky! Nobody forced me to look at cars I wasn't interested in!
    There were lots of cars I didn't find too thrilling, mostly lowriders and, yes kids, the suede pseudo" traditional" cars. I'm sorry, but the entire look of the Betty Pageish girls, tatoo'd guys with goatees and faux 50's has gotten stale. They people and their cars look like they came off an assembly line, totally conformist cookie cutters.
    The old customs were AWSOME! Many "OT" were cool as well as the REAL traditional cars. The Reilly OHV model A's were something else. I probably won't go back for a couple of years, too crowded, too many rude pushy people.:eek: Oh, and do really need bands playing 50-60's music at every car show? At ear splitting volume? Yeah, I'm old and crabby!
    My 2 cents.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

5. Yes, VERY crowded. We got there early for the drive-in. Good thing, because my friend came around 10-11 for the spectator gate and was told it was a TWO hour wait! He left

6. The photo is for the program. The one I sent in was the one they put in the program,back in 07. Unlike other shows,where the photo is so they can approve of each entry.

7. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

two words, "greaser alley".

I saw a lot of amazing cars at the show, I saw a lot of not so amazing cars too. you would think a picture of the not so nice cars would have weeded out 20% of the show.

and why do they insist on playing the music so freaking loud in the suede palace?

8. Simple...to keep us old fuckers out of there:eek:. Or, maybe to distract from some of the junk in there this year. Next year I'm bringing a tool bag like I do to Pick A Part:p. LOL

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The music hurts my ears too, but I love the people watching and actually thought the content in the building was good. I fell in love with an old 34 cabriolet in there... And there was a great chopped 41 ford coupe, a couple of nice shoeboxes, that long beach swap meet 32, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using The Jalopy Journal App!

10. That '41 belongs to Mr. Music......HAMB member!!!!! Which also won a few awards,Ryan.

11. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

Jebus!, you valley boys are cheap! Ti^^e for a new keyboard:p

12. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I thought I was reading some frikken morse code

13. Some were good, I loved the old drag cars. Some was so so, and the music was annoying as hell, I didn't look at most of the cars.

14. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I'm glad all you guys are writing these critiques of the show. I didn't go this year because of the Turlock swap but intend to go next year. It will be my first visit to the Pomona location. I now know I need to bring ear plugs and arrive super early, perhaps take a day off and go on Friday. Thanks for the info everyone.

15. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Unfortunataly the show has become so family unfriendly that this is the last year my wife and kids will be going. It's just too crowded , loud and uncomfortable for them to enjoy. Most of the buildings were so crowded that you couldn't change your own mind and the suede palace was so loud that you couldn't talk to yourself.

16. HRod 50

HRod 50

In my opinion.. I actually think when they hand out the awards at the ceremony they should post a picture of the car with the award. I hate sitting through an awards ceremony, and not have any idea which vehicle they're talking about. Can you imagine the winner of the AMBR is a 1934 Ford... Ohhh yeah I liked that one.. What the F? Which one?:confused:....

17. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

saturday was packed, friday and sunday afternoon were empty a great time to get to see everything, no crowds, music was low key etc.. just go a different day

18. The photos are for two reasons - to put in the program and to make sure the car seems to be appropriate for the show. I know John Buck quite well and we have talked about this. The problem is photos don't always truly represent what the car looks like so some lower quality cars do get in. And remember this only applies to the cars that are in the building, excluding the suede palace. Axle runs the suede palace and he handles what does and doesn't get in there ~ it's a different set of rules. As for the outside drive in and the "Greaser Alley" I don't believe there is ANY criteria for cars in those areas.

As for photos at the awards ceremony, they have done that in years past where they had large photos on the screens on stage, but it is a tough thing to put together. There are a ton of cars and a boatload of winners and many of the results aren't turned in from the judges until the last minute, so putting together the photo show is very difficult. I agree that it would be nice if they could sort that out.

Too crowded? Well, that's not something that can be really controlled, and it's kind of nice in this economy that they are getting that kind of turn out. It shows our hobby is strong.
    The Suede palace not being family friendly, we noticed that as well, as there seems to be this current contingent that wants to believe that they need to be bad asses and thugs to be cool car guys. They even seem to think that's the way it was. Well if they had a clue about the history of Hot Rodding instead of what was portrayed in the Hollywood 'B' movies they would know they are looking and acting like complete fools. Hell, half of them don't even have a car, much less understand what it is all about. hopefully they will move on to some other Fad or grow up and learn what Hot Rodding is truly about ~ and it isn't walking about trying to look tough with a silly costume on.

19. YAPP

YAPP

Last year I went on Sunday and it wasn't as crowded but a bunch of cars (outside the buildings) that left on Saturday never returned for Sunday. So I missed out.

Lot's of overflow outside cars this time. I lost out on my usual hotel parking spot and the low traffic entry gate. Gate 9 entry was a nightmare regardless of how early you got there. My dogs are still barking from the walk.

I'll still go next year because it's so close.

20. thesupersized

thesupersized

i have never gone to this show, but when some of the most historical and coolest customs were to be present, do you expect it not to be crowded?

21. I thought I did see the cars up on a screen during the awards a couple years ago, when I stayed for them

22. see post #18

23. Now, that's gonna get your ass pseudo kicked by some pseudo tough guy:D. LOL

24. See post #21:p

25. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

suede palace had a few really nice cars, but it also had to few that had no right being indoors.

26. I thought about that but figure they will trip over their "traditionally cuffed Levi's" or slip when the thousand lbs of grease falls out of their two foot high Pompadour :cool:

27. Deuces

Deuces

I don't mind the '50's an' '60's music... It helps set the mood. :D

28. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Saturday was definetly crowded...thats the day most of the stuff happens..but, Friday and Sunday not very crowded and better to see the cars. The music was pretty friggin loud in the palace...it doesn't help that it echos in there as well.

29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

What the hell is wrong with Lowriders Chumlee

30. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

right, and I enjoyed that. in that building you had GOOD music playing at a volume that was pleasant.

the amp does not always have to be set to 11.