Register now to get rid of these ads!

GNRS so who won ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Special Ed

Special Ed

Intriguing question, Groucho. Perceptions and opinions evolve with the passage of time, regardless of the subject matter. I doubt it will take fifty years for this year's winner to be appreciated.
    Looking at it with an open mind, might help. It is different, but is that neccessarily wrong?

2. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

No but they keep spinning in the enclosed trailer...

That's actually the new metaphysical joke question, replacing the "if a tree falls in the woods..." question...

'If you put a high-dollar street rod in the enclosed trailer, do the spinnaz keep spinning?'

3. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

I liked Morty's roadster--------some of the comments comparing it to the AMBR contenders were pretty funny.I,too,respect the work on all of the cars.Us all having our own tastes/opinions is what keeps this deal interesting.

4. Drive Em

Drive Em

I wonder how many of the people bashing this years winner were Street Rodders a few years ago?

5. ocfab

ocfab

[​IMG]will this thread ever close?

6. 68Caddy

68Caddy

Thats a very creative reference! Funny too!

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Now that there is funny! :D

Just because the car is not liked here on the HAMB does not mean that the rest of the world does not hold the car in high esteem. You really need to be active, or lurk I guess, on streetrod forums to get a feel how the majority of the car people view this creation.

What I do feel is going to happen is the AMBR award is going to be a less sought after award if these same sort of creations keep winning. Lets face it the Ridler Award captures the "better" and majority of the brand new builds each year and I see that trend continuing.

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be fascinating to do a survey of the current status of all past AMBR winners. Where are they now, how many times have they changed hands, how many of them have been modified again, what kind of shape are they in, etc.

That car is certainly well-crafted (congrats) and it may even be someone's personal vision, but it's not Beautiful. The paint may be beautiful, the leather boxes in the trunk may be beautiful, and the chrome may be beautiful. But the CAR is not beautiful. I suspect that a broad cross-section survey of the car community (not just the HAMB) would agree.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FWIW, (not much) I was in agreement with your core position. I expanded the thought some that we're all right and they're all wrong, more to be just mildly sarcastic. Fact is that it's a degree of human nature that makes people think their way is the only way or best way and not addressing that fact is just small minded thinking. That idea was in your reply. That idea was in many replies and was the minority in the original topic...just like we're all the minority in the hotrod world. On that score I'm with Muttley 100%. I too like it that way. Carry on kids...

10. I realize langy was asking what car won the America's Most Beautiful Roadster 9ft trophy ... but there are plenty of other awards handed out each year at the GNRS ... just click the GNRS logo for a list of all of the 2010 award winners:

GNRS logo.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting thought for sure. Some of the past Ridlers have just gone on their way and some of them were meant to be "used up" or consumed in some fashion. 2 times the Ridler went to a doorslammer style drag racer. Mid-America's Grand Am and a hi-tech Mercedes Super Gas cpe. There was once a T-bucket Ridler winner. The trend either evolves or dies, but I'd also like to see some 10+year old AMBRs today. This is the HAMB and we can find just about anything, 'cept maybe money when we need it:eek:

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

wow...his still going?

The AMBR competition is not a "traditional hot rod" contest.
    Quit trying to make everything "yours". It is not.
    The GNRS and the AMBR award just are what they are. They are not wrong, nor should they change, because you don't like the cars, the judging, or the money involved.

I hope you don't buy tickets to go to a baseball game and then grumble because a football game doesn't take place.

13. Short answer IMO? Back then they were built for love(and a little ego), now, just ego. I'm talking about recent "winners". Not the stuff that didn't win recently. I believe that stuff was built still for love. Rick Dore's awesome creation and the candy gold RPU for 2 examples of what I believe were built for the love of it

14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting that link. Looks like Geo Poteet picked up $1100 in various awards for his green truck!

15. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Perfect description , End Of .

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.