Register now to get rid of these ads!

GNRS so who won ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jephs422

jephs422
    from CA

It was originally disqualified because we were cleaning the car after the noon bell. The car WAS set up on time. The problem was that the judges did not know that the promoter had given us permission to clean it from 12-2 but did not tell the judges. After the judges and promoters spoke, they determined we were okay.

And we were not the only car that happened to. there were several cars that were dq'd and then reinstated.

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

How does one quantify style, taste, or proportion? Seems to me that if you want a level playing field, you need to judge on items that you can actually judge, not merely render an opinion...:)

3. John Denich

John Denich

Why are you guys arguing about this!!! Every year this happens.....Its like a straight guy complaining about a dating site not allowing GAYS...it just does not matter! this award is not for us we have our own!!! I just don't get it! Just copy and paste all this bullshit on a thread in a month for the Ridler too...

4. John Denich

John Denich

Congrats on the Win! these guys complain about everything! Wait a month and there will be one about the Ridler too!!!

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I'm not saying that guy's car is "wrong". I'm saying it just lacks "soul". I'm not saying "who cares?". I'm just saying "I don't care". The only thing inspiring for me, myself, on that car is that I'm inspired to keep on keeping on. The car that won is, in my opinion, an abomination. I'm not entirely against "street rod" type cars. There's a lot to like in "street rod" type cars. Not on that one. Look at the proportions. Look at the grill. Look at the windshield. Look at the shape of the doors. Look at the trunk full of wine baskets. It's modifications for modification's sake. For points sake. No thought or feeling about any of it. It's like somebody said, "hey, we've got to do something different to each and every body panel. who cares if it's actually beautiful." Nothing about that car, it's display, or that wierd ass doll speaks to me on any level what so ever. The only redeeming quality it has is that's it's really shiny and that it is still in fact a car. At least I think it is. My definition of a car is something that is meant to be driven. It's an imitation of art imitating a roadster.

6. narlee

narlee

If it's America's Most Beautiful Roadster there should be provisions for LOOKS. This year they got 3 out of 4. America's Most --------- Roadster.

7. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I was gonna be nice and not say anything about those....glad someone else put my thoughts into words!

8. Damn, Too bad. It looks like someone dropped a hot wheels toy and some of Chip Foose's Hair into that machine from Weird Science that made the barbie doll into Kelly Lebrock. I'd WAYYY rather have Kelly Lebrock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Damn, I didn't know Snoop Dog was into street rods.:confused:

10. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Walking the show I did notice the display but not the car? I'm pretty sure the display is a big part of the judging points. My 17 yr old son asked me do they drive those high dollar street rods? My reply was, not with a straight face!

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

As bad as this car is to most or all of us, it does serve a purpose. There are a lot of big money people into this type of ride and they spend BIG money. This money ends up supporting the industry in one way or another. The paint, wax and polish companies need a chromed out, candy colored ride to put in thier ads. This sells product to the average guy. The average car guy usually has no concept or understanding of traditional. In fact, to them, a traditional car is a rat rod and part of that blame belongs to the media. You know the guy who wants to know when you're gonna paint your survivor '34? This is where his thinking comes from. He honestly "doesn't get it". Shows like, Pimp My Ride and Overhaulin' try to put hot rods into the livingroom of the average Joe and this is the type of car that guy wants to see. That guy will buy the rims and look for the wax that he saw that night. It sucks, but that is the way it is. It's sad when how many coats of paint or how much money was spent on chrome deterimines what's cool, but again, consider the audience.

To me, that's all the more reason to continue to love and support OUR style of cars. We live in a world not ruled by excess and flash. We live in the real. It was stated earlier in this thread that we are a minority. Well, I like it that way. I love it when I go to a cruise and some guy has more money in his rims and tires, than I do in my whole car. He sits in his lawn chair watching out for kids who might touch his paint and tells his friends about the new piece of chrome he found to tack onto his car. He can have his world and I'll have mine.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Be still my heart. An absolutely stunning hot rod and not a morsel of bling. Of course when your favorite car of all time is the first winner of the America's Most Beautiful Roadster competition you'll know where I'm coming from. The critieria that judged Bill Neikamps '29 the first winner should be used today. He basically took things away and left a pure hot rod not add trinkets to pile up points. I can assume there are others in my camp or this one wouldn't have stood a chance to be the HAMB pick. Congrats to the builder/winner.

Frank

13. Weasel

Weasel

This whole thread and the posted responses are really about as relevant to the HAMB as the America's Most Blingy Roadster winner - namely not at all. Can we move on to soemthing more positive like the Logan Davis HAMB winner?

14. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Hear, hear!

15. hahahahaah. This is a very entertaining thread:D

16. henryj429

henryj429

Welcome to the HAMB, jephs422. You must feel like Nancy Pelosi making an appearance on Fox news. Since you're obviously part of the winning team, care to comment on the bad press the car is getting here? I'm not trying to start a war, but you guys have put a ton or work into this thing and have been well rewarded. I'm interested in hearing the insider's viewpoint.

17. abc123

abc123

How could that car win? The doll was facing the visitors. Everybody knows that street rod winners always have the doll facing the car, leaning on one of the front tires.

18. Special Ed

Special Ed

From his previous post on another thread...

<TABLE id=post4856056 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>jephs422<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4856056", true); </SCRIPT>
    FNG

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_4856056 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: 2010 AMBR contenders.
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->It's no secret you guys hate our cars, so no biggee. However it still seems silly that a bunch of guys who did not see the car in person are trying to judge it on the internet.

There were a bunch of beautiful cars there and we were fortunate to take the AMBR again with a car that cost HALF of what all the other cars cost to build.

At the end of the day that car was built on a budget and was 100% hand built. Love it or hate it, we built it to win. This is a "traditional" board. the AMBR award is for anything but traditional cars. So why all the hate?

Jeph-
    Scott's Hotrods.
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

19. John Denich

John Denich

What really bothers me is that Beyonce won six Grammy's!!! And I like Blues music...How could she win....

20. jephs422

jephs422
    from CA

Honestly there's not much of a need for me to interject. It's not this boards style and I'd be a fool to think anything I could say here would sway you guys one way or another.

The only thing I would like to point out is to no assume this car has no soul.

The last 2 years we have spent every moment side by side creating EXACTLY what he wanted. EVERY decision was based on what the customer wanted to see in his vision to have a European styling inspired 33. He grew up going to the GNRS which is why this car didn't go to Detroit. This guy's not rich by any means. his life was poured into this car and we helped to make his dream come true.

Like I said before, there were dozens of cars there that I liked and had my style of build. But this car simply had what it took to win this show.

If it had been built to compete for a billet proof show, then it would have been built and designed with that in mind and been a completely different car.

21. John Denich

John Denich

Very well put....Oh ya does Justin ever wear pants???

22. jephs422

jephs422
    from CA

Nope..

Well, there was one time about 8 years ago at a show I think. :)

23. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Damn, that's one FUGLY car. I hate the color too, so played out already.

24. Very well written and level headed response.

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well said.
    Justin should be proud that he has an employee that represents his shop with well thought out statements.

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I agree :D

27. Frankly I find this the most disturbing picture of the lot. Somebody "enjoys" their dollys a little bit too much me thinks......... :eek:

[​IMG]

28. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I would whole heartedly disagree with that last part about the AMBR not being for traditional cars. Some of THE most beautiful roadsters I've ever seen have been right here on the hamb and were "traditional" to boot. Take a look at the hamb pick in this thread. Pure sex. One would be hard pressed to convince me that the hamb pick isn't a hundred fold more beautiful than the real winner.

But I've already posted too many times in this thread. I realize how dumb it is to be bitching about this, not that I'm necessarily bitching. The judging criteria is made for cars like "The Wine Taster". Or rather, "The Wine Taster" is made for the judging criteria. There is no place to score points for actual real beauty. No boxes to tick for how a car stirs your soul. And "beauty" so subjective, we'd still be bitching if they gave it to one of "our" cars because they didn't give it to another one of "our" cars.

29. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

So that car was designed/built specifically to win this show? Bleh, now I hate it even more! I bet the workmanship and execution is awesome, but the styling isn't my cup o tea. Hopefully, it's owner loves it. :)

30. Yeah, kinda weird. Now what? When you build a car to race, you can go fast many times. When you build a cruiser car, you can enjoy many miles of that. If this car was built just to win this show, NOW WHAT? Just askin:p;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.