Register now to get rid of these ads!

GMC Truck Clutch Line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fsae0607, Dec 22, 2012.

1. fsae0607

fsae0607

Hello HAMBERs! This is going to be my first "tech" contribution, so here goes...

I had to replace the flexible clutch line on my '61 GMC since it was old and rotting. Searching online didn't have much luck, so I went ahead and found an off-the-shelf brake hose that will work. I think that 60 - 62 Chevy and GMC trucks use the same type of line. Here's an overall shot of what I'm trying to accomplish:

[​IMG]

Since one end of the flex line is swaged to the hard line, go ahead and cut the line right where it starts to straighten, get a 7/16-24 IF tube nut and flare the line like so:

[​IMG]

I went to Valley Friction and they found me a brake hose with 7/16-24 IFF on both ends. I looked it up and found that it's a rear brake hose off of a 1962 Pontiac Bonneville. The length is about 10.5 inches. Here's the line attached and the part number off the box. As you can see, it's damn near a perfect match!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to try to install the line this weekend. I'll report back on how it fits! :cool:

2. fsae0607

fsae0607

Okay, got the line in. I had to fab a new hard line from the MC to the soft line, since when installed, it stretched the line more than I liked. I bought a new length of 1/4" line at NAPA and matched up the original bends from the MC to the firewall, so I could re-use the original clip. A little bending and hand-massaging later and this is the result:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the new line is a bit longer and places the end that attaches to the soft line at a better angle.

Here it is installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The soft line still has a bit of slack to absorb any movement of the tranny/slave cylinder with respect to the MC fixed to the firewall.

Cheers! :cool:

3. HamD

HamD

Proud work you've accomplished there.
    The thrill of the hunt when it comes to parts finding and problem solving can be fun.

4. fsae0607

fsae0607

Yes, thank you! Took a few weekends and trips to NAPA! Sucks that this part ground my progress to a halt. Now time to press on and get the truck ready to drive!

5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I did something similar on my '61 Suburban... I found out later that one of the truck suppliers actually reproduces that line.
    I need to get it, because I found out it bolts to one of the bellhousing bolts, NOT to the firewall like it was when I bought the truck.

-Brad

6. fsae0607

fsae0607

Which truck supplier? I found something similar at Inline Tube, but decided to make my own.

7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The local Auto Value will make a new hose/line for anything. Just bring it in and they will copy it.

8. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I also found the local hydraulic supply to be cheap and efficient in making up any line I needed.

9. fsae0607

fsae0607

I went to Valley Friction for them to custom make me a new line. Luckily, they found me an off-the-shelf hose made by Wagner. That helps in case the hose decides to crap out away from home!

10. nummie

nummie

I spy, with my little eye, a big block GMC V6! 305? 351?

11. fsae0607

fsae0607

It's a 305A. From what I read, these engines are designed to last! Gas mileage is gonna blow when I drive it to Viva, though...:(

12. nummie

nummie

Totally under appreciated engine. Built to last. 300000 is not uncommon when taken care of, but 10 mpg the whole way.

13. fsae0607

fsae0607

Good to hear. Plan on driving it a lot till I build a 283.