Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects GM pressure plates

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chucksue, Dec 12, 2013.

1. chucksue

chucksue
    from ill.

I have a G M flywheel # 3790366.It uses a 9 inch clutch disc. The bolt holes for the crank are six. The bolt holes for the pressure plate are six spaced 5 1/4 inches apart. I don't know what pressure plate to buy. I need a part number or a year and model and engine size. Any ideas? Thanks

2. I would go to a parts store that stiil has books and look up gm clutches to see if you can locate one that looks suspect. If you can get a good counter person(they are rare today) he/she may try some of there GM clutch packs to see if they fit.

On another note you can go to a Chevrolet dealer and give the prt number to the parts guys. They can print a list of every application for that part number. I had to do this recently with a GM bell housing.
    Hope this is some help.

3. chucksue

chucksue
    from ill.

Thank You
    I went to orilies auto parts. They ordered a pressure plate in a clutch kit but the bolt holes were off just a little bit. Three bolts on the left would go in but the ones on the right were off about .075. I will try the chevy garage. Not many old parts books left.

4. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Vega's had a 9" clutch I think ? I may be wrong, but they were not 10 1/2" for sure, good luck !

5. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I just checked my gm book , not the vega , but 194 cubic inch 6 cyl nova/Acadian 1962 -1964 hope this helps good luck

6. squirrel

squirrel

standard clutch on the 194 equipped 1962 chevy II was 9 1/8" diameter, the heavy duty was 10". Looks like the parts stores only carry the heavy duty clutch.

the part number for the flywheel shows up as an early Chevy II part, when googled