Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM power steering pump seizing up.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56KUSTOM, May 27, 2013.

1. Put a new pump on the 350 engine swap and it worked when we first started the engine to check things out,then today I go to test drive and it's not working and then the belt starts squeeling like its seizing up. The belt is tight.
    Any thoughts?

2. is it seized up? if not , how does it turn over by hand?

3. Reckon it needs some fluid? Did you bleed the system?

4. Hoses on backwards?

5. Does it sound screechy like a flock of angry birds on speed
    Or
    Does it growl like a cat in heat smoking crack ?

6. It turns out the thing making my belts squeel was my new alternator which decided to shit the bed at the same time as my new power steering pump. I still have no power steering.The hoses are idiot proof and the pump worked the first couple of times we started the car.

7. Did you flush the steering gear and lines out prior to installing the new pump? If the old pump failed, you may have some particulates that were left in the system from the last bad pump that made their way into your new pump.

8. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

brand new ? or A1 cardone or blue dot or any other re-manufactured ?

9. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

I put return line filters on my vehicles like this one. Adds capacity along with filtration. $65.00 DELIVERED

Attached Files:

10. I bought the pump at NAPA. I replaced it because I was doing an engine swap and the Ford one didn't fit the Chevy. Is there a bleeding procedure I should have done?

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

You did say an engine swap,since you are having trouble with both alt. and power steering are you sure they are turning the right direction ?

12. The engine came with the mounts and brackets. So I don't think that's the problem.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, more info is required here.

First, what are we working on?
    What chassis?
    What steering setup?
    What engine?
    What belt setup?
    The pump is compatible with the steering box being used?

You didn't run it with the new pump dry at any time? That may cause the rotor and vanes in the pump to gauld on the ring and plates.

You have checked the fluid level? When you first start up with new components a lot of rigs empty the reservoir filling the line and gear box.

You are using power steering fluid and not automatic trans fluid? While trans fluid functions in power steering it doesn't work near as well as the correct power steering fluid.

As far as I know, there is no possible way to reverse the hoses on a GM power steering pump with factory hoses.

The second thing I would do after checking the fluid level is put a floor jack under the front crossmember an lift the front wheels off the shop floor or lift the car so the tires clear the floor if you have a hoist and fire it up and work the steering wheel lock to lock slowly a number of times to work out any air out of the system.
    I'd check for kinks in the lines/hoses too.

14. Old Dude

Old Dude

One thing more, it could be belt sits on pulleys, that that sit higher than size of pulleys. Is it a old large belt that fits above the pulley? Try getting a belt that does not show above pulleys. If there is room to go to 1/2 " shorter on length of belt, it will allow you to adjust the belt a little tighter. If it continues, it could have a bad power steering rack.

15. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

If the pump is not turning its got to be a bad pump. I've had these things apart and made several modifications without any ill effects. There isn't any bleeding procedure other than filling it, cycle the steering and refill as needed. Even if you dead head the pump ( no flow ) , the internal relief valve if working correctly would allow the fluid to recirculate which is a must for a positive displacement pump. I would suspect that the relief valve is not working. I'd take it back to NAPA and get another. Or come to Maine and I'll give you a pump. I've got about a dozen of the things.

16. You toasted both an alternator and a power steering pump- both new and in a very minimal amout of time and around the same time ???

Seems H I G H L Y coincidental .
    I'd be looking at what these two have in common.
    Belts, routing, brackets, alignment, pulleys, installer.

Yes more info is needed and some pics might help too.

17. It's a Monte Carlo chassis that someone put a Ford 351m in and I swapped a chevy 350. The ps pump on the Ford looked just like the Chevy one (which came with the brackets and pulleys) except for one outlet came out too close to the engine. So I bought a new Chevy one from NAPA. The steering worked the first couple of times I started the car then stopped. I put the right fluid in it,no kinks in the hoses,the belt isn't slipping,the pulley turns freely. I jacked it up to try it off the tires,still no good.

18. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

Do you see any fluid moving inside the pump with the cap off the reservoir? If not your pump might be bad or the valve in the pressure side could be stuck.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen some pumps that were in pretty rough shape as far as the internals go and they still would pump but usually made a lot of noise or chattered. I'm thinking that the pressure valve is stuck on that one.

20. I am a independant "NAPA" jobber and I am really disappointed in the change from "RAYLOC" rebuilt pumps to "A1 Cardone" as the return rate is way to high for me and my customer base. I understand a few of the race cars shops have a service that R and R your stock pump.

21. Nothing moving and no noise.How do I un-stick the valve?

22. Bttt

23. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

Unscrew the fitting in the pump where your pressure hose screws into, it should come out along with a spring, it should be under tension. If that's okay take the pump back and get an exchange. Or spend the extra money for a Borgeson or genuine GM pump.

24. Got a replacement from NAPA and it works so far.

25. I ordered a brake booster for a customer today and found out Prior Rebuilders also do power steering pumps, has anyone ran one of thiers? they are new to the PS pump business but was wondering if they are better then the A1 Cardone's we have had so many problems with?...

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing I didn't think of is that you should be able to take the Ford can off the old pump and put a Chevy reservoir on that pump and be done with it.

I'd haul the rebuilt pump back for a refund or exchange and start over if it were me.