Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods gm inline 6 250 inline question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clint allyn, Aug 29, 2016.

1. clint allyn

clint allyn

just bought a buick apollo 1973 has a inline 250 the guy i bought it from took the whole car apart for paint didnt bag or tag anything, im a v8 man myself never would have considered a 6 cyl but THE QUESTION is I have the motor back together new starter and it turns really slow like a old tractor is this normal? does this motor have such high compression it doesnt need to spin fast like a chevy v8 ?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No. It should spin just the same.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check all of your cables. Make sure the battery is indeed good, with all cells present and accounted for.

If all checks out, it is probably just a bad starter.

I have several present and former customers running the 250. They make good, useful torque, and work just fine for a street cruiser. A few bolt on's-in's can boost the performance to a nice level.

4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Check your ground body to motor but most of all battery ground to motor

5. elba

elba

Make sure your engine/tranny has a good ground

6. squirrel

squirrel

did you put the motor back together? If so, are the main and rod caps where they belong? did you check bearing clearances? how hard was it to turn as you assembled it?

ottoman likes this.