Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM hinge bushings??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy43, Aug 1, 2005.

1. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Has anyone replaced 60's-70's door hinge bushings? Do you have any tips on doing them right?? (and left):p Thanks, Sparky:D

2. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

if it is the ones with the door check spring spend the 20 bucks at a parts store and buy the spring compressor. it makes that part really simple. i have a 6" peice of 1/4 rod with a counter bore in the end to knock out the pins with. a wood workers pry bar also works good if you grind a little out of the area to pull nails.

3. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

I am assuming you scribe witness marks on the hinges,pull the doors off. Then remove the hinges,and springs,then the pins/bushings? Thanks. sparky:D

4. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, that's the process.

Also, you can buy the bronze bushings that will replace the original plastic bushings from the Dorman display at your friendly local real auto parts store...I think they still have them. I had enough in my collection left over from other projects to do the hinges on the kid's 70 Camaro a few months ago.

make sure you keep them oiled after you change them....