Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gm HEI distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stepsideclyde, Sep 15, 2012.

1. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

GM performance crate engine, Distributor has usual wiring under the cap, but also has 2 wires (one black with a larger ring terminal, that looks like a ground), and one green, with a red insulated female blade terminal.... Can any one tell me the proper hook up of these wires?...Thanks

tc

2. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

The black one with the ring is obviously the ground but I'm not familiar with the green. Where do these wires exit the distributor? Open it up and trace the green wire to its source. If it is common with the Tach Terminal in the cap I would say its an extra hookup for a tach. Anyway I would like to know myself so subscribed.

3. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

All the hei's I have seen in the past just have the power wire and the tach wire plug in "up and under" the cap, these other wires are something I have never run across before. Looking at some parts catalogs they show the green wire with the red end hanging down, but no real explanation as to where it goes.

4. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

5. 59 brook

59 brook

what crate motor did you get ? marine engine?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A photo or two would help guys ID what you have. Possibly info on the crate motor too such as the part number.

As Bad Banana said above some GM crate motor suppliers add aftermarket pieces to certain engines and that may be the case.

7. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

Sorry, Guys for the lack of info.. The engine goes in a friends El Camino that I am trying to wire for him on the weekends. The engine is a ZZ572/620 Deluxe, PN19201333. Bad Banana, It does look like a MSD Distributor that is in your instruction sheet. Is the green wire noted, still needed for a conventional set up (without the MSD box)? Does the ground wire(?) have to be hooked up also? Thanks...

tc

8. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

According to that link I gave you, you should probably hook up you tach wire to the cap and leave the green wire unhooked. The green wire is marked "tach input". You are looking for a "tach output"

I would hook up the black wire to ground. 12v to the cap and you should be all set.

9. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

Thanks, BB, Your the Man!