Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GM fuel tank float to ford gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by okiewelder, Nov 10, 2016.

1. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

I have a 62 ford unibody truck. Several years ago l was in a hurry to get it on the road. Well long story short l got a generick aluminum fuel cell and mounted it in the bed. It has a gm float and my gauge is ford. Any easy way to make it work?

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Swap out the sender

firstinsteele likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

swap out the sender. Or put a 10 ohm resistor in series with the GM sender, and read the gauge backwards. If you have a 30 ohm sender, it will be kind of close, but if you have a 90 ohm it might not be quite what you want. At least it's cheap to try it.

4. Is the GM sender the 0 - 30 ohm (prior to 65)or is it the 0 - 90 ohm (65 to present day)?

5. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

I actually have the sender out of the tank. I tryed a old ford one that was in another tank but didnt bend it properly to work. Thank you for the replys

6. squirrel

squirrel

measure the resistance....

7. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

Well my cheap ass multimeter will not read the ohms. It will read it but, l can take the leads off and get a totally different reading the next time l hook it up!

8. squirrel

squirrel

what happens to the reading when you move the sender arm? They usually do bounce around a lot.

9. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

Oh yea the resistance changes like it is supposed to on the float. My multimeter just gives me a different reading each time l try it.

10. squirrel

squirrel

what kind of numbers do you see? Can you get it to settle down somewhere near the full end of the scale? It should be either close to 30 ohms, or close to 90 ohms.

11. Long time ago, when a buddy added a extra tank to his '60 something Ford PU, we cut the sender apart and reassembled it with the rheostat upside down to get around the gauge reading backwards problem; but we were young and stupid and didn't know you couldn't do stuff like that.

firstinsteele likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

That sounds a lot easier than just sticking a label on the gauge!

gas.jpg

RICH B likes this.
  13. It may be giving you different readings because of the location of the wiper on the variable resistor being different each time. If you haven't yet, try your reading with the float all the way up and all the way down. You probably have the 0-90 ohm float. If so, you will read inverse of what the gauge indicates, but you will stay on E a long time, and run out of gas between 3/4 tank and full.

Do like Jim did and remark the gauge or just know that it is backward and use as is.

14. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

Yea in my first life after hs when l was trying to get college educated l was a electronics tech. It has been a few years but, l kinda remimber how to use a multimeter. The cheap one l has shows different values when the float would be in the empty position

15. BJR

BJR

That looks like something you would only do on an Edsel.:p

squirrel likes this.
  16. 5brown1

5brown1

I just purchased a product which functions exactly like the one from tanks from Spiyda Design in England. Cost was about $56 including shipping to USA. They have videos on line showing the operation. Haven't installed it yet as I just got it Thursday. It is called the Gauge Wizard MK3

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  17. Or add a gas gauge that matches the sender.....or, get a gas gauge that can be programed to match any sender's ohms range(without even knowing what the sender's range actually is). Speedhut makes them I'm told.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016