Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical gm alt wiring help/wire gauge size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h2omonkey, Apr 15, 2014.

1. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Looked through the threads and cant fins and answer so here goes, wiring up a simple starting/charging system on my old truck (47 willys) using a delco12si 3 wire 94 amp, 8 gauge from alt battery post to junction block, but was wondering what size wires to run of 1 and 2 terminals on alternator? Seen everything from 12 to 16 gauge. no diode or charging light, not using ignition switch, alt wire and coil wire is going through a 2 position switch so all power but battery to starter is dead when switched off.

Also, since i have the 94 amp alt, what size fusible fuse (modern style plug in fusible link). Biggest I've seen is 80amp, also only seen 80 amp maxi fuse. For the 94 amp alt, should i drop to 60 amp? I know with the old fusible links you went about 2 wire sizes down ( so 8 gauge would be about 12 gauge fusible).
    So confused.

2. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Oversized can not get you in trouble with wiring. Most modern hotrods use a 50 amp maxi fuse and have no problems.

3. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

so they are using a 50amp maxi fuse between a 94 amp alt and battery? what about the guys with the really high output alt, 120 amp and up, not sure how you would protect a circuit with amp that high

4. Local electric guy says drop two wire sizes on the fuse link. 14 ga will be fine for the other two. Like hamburgers, bigger is better.