Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gloss Black Single Stage Urethane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 12, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Went by the paint store today. They have Nason and Rival. He recommended against the Rival, saying it was really an Industrial/Implement paint. Sure looks fine in white on my Blazer. Price was a bit lower than they quoted me last time on the Nason but still $410 for the gallon package which I assume is the same stuff for under 200 online including shipping. So I'm back to online shopping. Then there is the 'no shipping to California' thing. I suppose some of the Ebay sellers might... or I'm planning to take a trip to Reno NV soon, I may tried to find something locally there, which may be a better paint than I can get shipped here. What a hassle...

2. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

or find a hamber in reno who will ket you use his address for shipping and coordinate times? this is why ill never live in California

reagen likes this.
  3. As I mentioned before none of the links that have been provided so far for online include a Nason activator they are all generic so you will have no recourse if something happens to go wrong. NO paint company will stand behind a product unless all the components used are their own. Probably the most often cited advise with painting is use all the products from the same company. Just something to keep in mind.

They way they do it is a little underhanded by using the same part number as Nason minus a hyphen so if you are not paying attention and just look at part numbers it seems to be all Nason products.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    blowby and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks, and I did take note of your previous comment regarding non-Nason activators. Lots of info on this thread to digest...

To drag it out even further, has anyone experienced the difference going to low VOC epa compliant paint? Here is an article I found on VOCs in auto paint, and apparently California is no longer the only state with restrictions.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015...the-diyers-guide-to-low-voc-automotive-paint/

5. I have been following along on this thread. I have been painting since '83, back then it was just PPG (Ditzler) or Dupont (for the most part) We used Ditzler until our local supplier went out of business. The change to Dupont was a Bitch, because I had all the Ditzler numbers memorized! Then when the EPA drove the paint prices up, Dupont came out with Nason. We looked down on it & only used it for the lowest of the low when it came to paint jobs. Now people are considering Nason the better of their choices. Not trying to offend, just an observation. My transport business has taken over every thing, so I don't paint any customers car anymore, but when I paint my own, I still use Dupont & sometimes Nason.

I have heard really great things on here & other places where painters congregate about Tamco products. In the next couple of weeks I am going to place an order with her. For the prices they show, it will be worth it to me to give her products a try. If the reviews are correct, they will get a bunch of my money, because I have 6 or 8 that need shot!

I just bought this 64 GP out of California. They did a bunch of great work to it & spent a bunch of money on it. The little bit of body work that it required because of dents is straight as an arrow. After all that, they used single stage paint (which I have never been a fan of) & the person that applied it was not experienced in applying it. It looks dry & has orange peel. Fortunately they did not put much of the chrome back on. I am going to scuff it, dust a couple of coats of basecoat & 3 coats of high solids Tamco clear (test of their clear) Then wet sand & buff! It will look GREAT!

God bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

IMG_20190207_095348671_HDR (800x450).jpg

Chavezk21 likes this.
  6. Canada is completely VOC compliant. I haven't sprayed a bunch but have sprayed both compliant and none compliant solvent based products and noticed zero difference. Again I am not an experienced painter so I may not be as in tune to subtle differences as a pro might.

blowby likes this.
  7. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

"Young's House of Klear" in Santa Clarita is the Southern Polyurethane Dealer here - They have California Compliant Clears and Solids.

southpaw-customs likes this.
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Stopped by another paint store near me today and got quoted $459 for PPG with hardener. Got home and called Reno Paint Mart. Two options, one called Advantage that hasn't been mentioned here nor do I see online and the LIMCO. The Advantage is only $130 for a gallon with hardener, maybe it's a house brand? The LIMCO is $180 plus $70 for the hardener. LIMCO had been recommended by several on this thread. I asked if they were both polyurethanes, he said, yeah, they are urethanes, he left off the poly. Hmm, is there a difference?

If you're wondering why all the bother, I still have some bodywork to finish so there's no hurry at present and no reason to fork out an extra 200-300 clams.

9. which ppg ? 9300 urethane.
    I thought limco was just ACRYLIC enamel?
    polyurethane is different than both.
    apples, oranges, and grapes.

blowby likes this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I thought of asking which PPG but when I heard the price didn't bother. Yeah all these different 'thanes'. Not all that concerned about it, frankly I miss Centari, but now is the time to get educated I guess. It's my car, not a customers, won't sit outside much nor be in any car shows. Most of my stuff is lucky if it ever gets washed.

11. centari is an acrylic enamel. fyi.

blowby likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah I know, and I'm not adverse to acrylic enamel. But the reading I've done said the urethanes have passed it to the point that most body shops no longer use it. Mostly durability.

Of the 10 or so cars I've ever painted one or two were lacquer, the two most recent in urethane and the rest were Centari. Did my Corvette in PPG urethane single stage, about 100 bucks back then...

1004151634a.jpg