Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Glide Engineering Seat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Jun 14, 2018.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking about replacing the stock seat in my '39 p/u with a Glide Engineering seat. The original that is in the truck now isn't all that comfortable and it isn't all that solid of a fit so it moves around and squeaks going down the road. From my searches they seem to be more comfortable and offer more room than a stocker. Glide is offering 15% off at the LA Roadster show this weekend (yes I know they are pricey) Anyone installed one in a '39 p/u and do you like it?

Genes12320 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

I used a Glide front seat in my 46 Ford Convertible. It didn't take very long for all of the adjustable fuctions to become inoperative.. That shouldn't have happened for such a pricey item.

Gary

olscrounger and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What did Glide say/do about it, if anything?

Airborne34 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Do a search on here. There is some info about their problems and if I remember correctly, a change of ownership. I read everything I could find and ended up going with a Bengels Hot Rod seat over Glide, Wiseguys or Teas. Seemed to be good to deal with and up front. Should have it in a couple weeks to make the final determination.
    SPark

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

had a Glide, loved it, had a Wiseguys, didn't like it or the Wise family

neverdun likes this.
  6. I have a glide bench seat in my old sedan,like it a lot better than the original buckets. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  7. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

use a minivan seat 32 seat 002.jpg

8. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Amen, 40standard. Bought a leather Wise Guy seat at the NSRA Nationals several years ago for my 1st series '55 Chev PU (paid cash - never again). Hinge cover vinyl was coming off & cutting into the seat, returned the covers & got back a lousy repair. They wouldn't return my calls until I got NSRA rep involved then quick response with a ticket for UPS pick-up. Their quality does not match their price!

Purchased a Glide w/foam & heaters at the LA Roadster Show 6 years ago for my '34 Roadster & love it. Works well & is comfortable with LeBarron-Bonney leather.

P.S. Used a '94 Chev Silverado seat in my '56 Chev PU - perfect fit, putting a similar one in a '67 C10 project.

Attached Files:

9. knewman9n

knewman9n

I have a Glide in my rpu and really like it. I also used one in a model A build. IMG_0189.JPG

10. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put one in my 46 Chevy pickup, with the foam kit. I was very satisfied with it. It folded down for storage behind the seat.

11. robracer1

robracer1

Had a mini van seat in my 32 roadster when a bought it, at 6' 3" and 230 ponds it was very uncomfortable, sat to high and no leg room. Got a Guild seat and it was perfect, very comfortable plus a lot more leg room. the back tilts forward and I put two large map pockets on the back part for storage and the bottom lifts for easy installation and more storage. DSC02741.JPG

deucemac likes this.
  12. Have a glide in the coupe. Been in there for ever. No issues. Like the storage access by lifting the cushion. Then leaning the lazy back down to get behind the seat.

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks all. I had a mini van seat in a '40 Ford big truck sold when I bought my '39 p/u and it wasn't very comfortable although it did fit almost like it was made for the truck. Anyway, I'll check on a price when I'm at LARS on Saturday. Hopefully the sticker shock won't kill me. I'm assuming that I should get the foam along with the seat assembly?

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

From the experience I`ve had with Glide--- the foam isn`t worth a darn for what it costs.

15. 41woodie

41woodie

I've had a Glide front seat in the woodie since the mid-90's. Comfortable, adjustable and much better than the stocker that was in it when I traded for it. Last year I did have a problem with cable mechanism that operates the recline function. Called Glide, and while they were sympathetic they had no fix available. They did say that they no longer used the cable because of multiple problems.
    Didn't really want to invest in a new seat so I fixed the problem myself with a little "engineering". I was disappointed that they didn't have a fix available but the seats been in the car for 23 or so years so it's hard to get too upset about it. I'd buy another if it came down to it.

16. deucemac

deucemac

I put a Glide seat in the roadster 10 years ago and still enjoying it. It has been all over the south west and is still comfortable. Solid product as darn as I'm concerned .

17. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

You DON'T need to spend the cash on a Glide or any other premium seat when you can redo your stocker.

I redid the stock bench on my now-OT avatar '55 Chevy by sandblasting & powder coating the stock frame. I removed the springs and the upholstery shop used all modern foam on a plywood backer. You can shape it any way you want. Exactly like a Glide if you want. Here's a pic of my seat. Very comfortable. IMG_4351.JPG

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pulled the pin on a Glide seat today at LARS. The sales guy quoted me a price but then when it came time to write up the order it turns out he had the wrong part number and the correct part number cost more. But they sold it to me at the initially quoted lower price and still gave me the 20% Fathers Day/LARS discount. All and all it was less than I expected but still not cheap. The guy that's going to upholster it said the Glide foam was OK but he'd rather use his own so I didn't purchase the foam when I ordered the seat.

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally got the glide frame back from the upholstery shop. Took a bit longer than I expected but then I did tell the guy I wasn't in a hurry. All in all I happy with the new seat. Photos show what's coming out and the new seat ready to go in. View attachment 3986179 IMG_3833.JPG

Attached Files:

20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just ordered a pair of buckets for my 34 Ford build. So far, if I have any complaint it is they dont have many dimensioned drawings of their products. After getting some dimensions from a guy on the phone, I finally determined I could make them work (my floor is not stock) and I ordered them. I wish they would publish good dimension drawings. It would be so much easier to select the correct product for your application.

My best advice for you is to call them.

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Everyone is talking Glide but I'm wondering what's wrong with Bengals? They look as nice but are significantly cheaper. Is it you get what you pay for?

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a glide seat for my 41 ford PU project. I need to get foam as it didn't come with it and the upholstery shop wants me to supply it. Where are you guys buying foam?

23. SPEC

SPEC

I've had a Glife seat for years and I really like it.

24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From Glide.

badshifter likes this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just spare a thought when you purchase that you can also purchase the cut foam formed padding for your seat as well. If you do intend to buy at the show maybe pre-call them to see if they will or have foam to go with your seat, should you require it.
    I did not so cost me 2 trips to Glide instead of one...

27. desotot

desotot

While I prefer using stock seats in most old cars, some are simply quite awful. The stock springs worked for a bunch of years for skinny farmers are shot and useless for the fast food generation. Sorry. I have used glide seats and I don't love them , however they are often the best choice. The biggest problem is the non split bench has a recliner on the driver side only so there is nothing to lock the passenger side. In a pickup truck the problem isn't as bad because you can stop the backrest against the back of the cab and that will support the seat quite well. Then foam the seat to the desired shape. Keeping some angle in the backrest will give you some lumbar support which is important. Make sure the top of the backrest will fit under the body brace below the rear window so you can gain as much room as possible. It may be necessary to omit the seat tracks. This is a non hamb friendly style, pics to be used for educational purposes only. 37 Ford pu.
    20210304_140927 (1).jpg 20210304_140927 (1).jpg 20210505_164316.jpg

fiftyv8 likes this.
  28. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

My avatar has buckets and while comfortable I’ve been thinking about a bench style. My last 3window came with a Wise Guy seat that was comfortable for me 6’3” 245. Even had seat heaters although I never used them. The Bengal seat looks interesting and a lot less money than the others.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  29. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are Bengals up and running again? I dunno. I have a Bengals (circa 2012?) seat and a Glide (circa 2000). Glide is nicely powder coated but Bengals is just painted. Bengals is a re-envisioned Glide type seat with certain improvements. Well that's what Bob Bengal told me back then! Sad thing is I gather he passed away suddenly (I guess a couple or more years ago now) and his family relocated the business East and I think didn't get it restarted, but could be now for all I know. Based on what I have I'd say the Bengals represented very good value, and you cant see the paint finish when it's upholstered!

Chris

fiftyv8 likes this.
  30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I sent Bengals an e-mail a couple months ago about a seat and got a response that as soon as I was ready to contact them with the dimensions and they would build me a seat.

stanlow69 likes this.