Register now to get rid of these ads!

GLASSPACKS, the anti-Flowmaster: which flow/sound better

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knoxville, Apr 21, 2009.

1. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

Same for me except "generic" 30" glass packs (2.5") no turn downs for me. Nice and mellow rumble. I have no yelling on the highway either.

2. Road Runner

Road Runner

After experimenting with generic glasspacks, Smithy's and various packing, like gravel, nails and no packing, I ended up with Brockman steelpacks at 12" and 17" on my rides.
    They sound really good now after a few thousand miles.

The generic glasspacks had too many louvers.
    Smithy's inner tube had too small diameter and the outer sheetmetal is too thin.

Brockmans only have a few rows of sprial oriented louvers.
    Relatively small shop, custom options and excellent personal service.

3. You have to like horsepower;). But, I agree, if you're more concerned with sound, the glasspacks usually sound really good. Flowmasters, as good as they sound to me on a stout motor, sound aweful if there's no power going through em

4. Magnaflows (stainless) on my Vicky. Not too loud, just right and of course the Y-block has a sound of it's own. I never liked Flowmasters because of the hollow, tinny sound. Maybe for some but not for me. My son has Flowmasters on his built big block Chevy, 4" i think and they don't sound too bad. I guess it sort of depends on size and what you've got 'em hooked up to. Back in the day it was glass packs or steel packs. Neither lasted too long but exhaust systems didn't last long back in those days anyway.

5. KomptonKid

KomptonKid

Seriously though I've heard some tough engines through flowmasters and I really don't like the sound. It's too hollow. To my ear it has a weird echo sound.

I agree. I have Flowmasters on a '79 Vette with a mildly built engine, and they sound awesome, just right for this car, esp. with no metal body adding to the muffle. But I wouldn't want that sound on my old coupes, even if it means form over function. Sorta like hearing a Pink Floyd tune at a '50's oldies show.

6. koolit

koolit
    from cen cal

The muffler isnt as important as engine as far as how well its going to sound. no matter what brand you get. Ive got magnaflows on one and flowmaster 70s on the other...

7. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

A guy I work with was showing me his new exhaust set-up today.

His Ford Probe had the muffler and cat cut-off, and a old glasspack in place of the cat. He took it to the local muffler shop and told them to put a flowmaster on it. They literally did, and left the old glasspack in its place, and put the muffler at the end.

The result is a very mellow, deep rumble. No popping, tin-can resonance, or drone like any other Flowmaster I've ever heard-and this is on a import 4-banger.

My bet is that the old glasspack is acting as a resonator, absorbing the drone and other higher-pitched exhaust notes that make a Flowmaster sound like shit.

8. 55X150

55X150

I have 2 1/2 " cherry bombs on my 55 I think they sound pretty good when I open it up

9. 66straight6

66straight6

OH SWEET JESUS!!!:eek: XD Just about peed my pants, dad couldnt stopp laughing,:D. thanks for making my day. Nick

10. Gator

Gator

FYI here's a pic of the nearly new "Cherry Bomb" brand turbo mufflers I just took off my Caddy - replaced them with a pair of 30" Smithy's.

This is the top of the passenger side muffler:

[​IMG]

11. Bounder

Bounder

I had a round gold glasspack on my 54 ford until the cops and my dad made me take it off. Wind it up in second and let off and everyone within 2 miles heard you. Seems like it was "fiberglas" brand name. Sure like to find one for the Merc.

12. tejas34

tejas34

I have "Cherry Bombs" on my '34 Ford Coupe. Sound sweet and even sweeter when they get older.:D

13. wisdonm

wisdonm

I hate that Flowmaster sound. Used various glasspacks for years. Installation and location makes a big difference. But if you're looking for a sophisticated all around sound (sweet idle, flat out roar, and pleasant cruise), Borlas are my choice.